Nissan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not really sure how this had happened, it all started when i tied some hood lights into the fog lights so i could turn them of and on seperately from my lights. Understandably we blew a fuse because we wired the ground into the same ground as the fogs, so we replaced the fuse and unhooked everything then just to check and see if the small 10.00 lights were still going to work we plugged them directly to the battery and as soon as the wires touched the battery all the relays on the passenger side of the car just started popping and smoking, the never blew but im still baffled at the moment. Is this something that usually happens, ive never seen it before and i've done a little bit of electrical work on my car but i would just like to have an explanation and thats why im a newie asking the experts for why?

·
Cone Dodger
3,093 Posts
when you routed the hood lights to the foglight relay, it is also tied to the headlight, rh, and to the relay too, so when you bypassed the fuses and went straight to the power source, the load was so great, it kinda arced inside the relays themselves, and the popping and shorting, and the smoking......hope this sheds some light......

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
You're talking aout the LED hood lights, right? so, let me see, you attached the positive lead to the fog lights positive wire and the negative lead to the negative battery terminal, right? I almost can't see how the power could overload the relay, first of all, LEDs take like no power and if you connected it like it says above, no power could have made it back to the relay b/c LEDs only let power flow in one direction which should be away from the relay. make sure your wire splicing didn't short circuit any wires.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Project200sx said:
....Understandably we blew a fuse because we wired the ground into the same ground as the fogs....
Obviously something is wired backwards here. Ground is ground and everything grounds to your negative side of the battery eventually. So wiring to the same ground is okay in other words.... unless one wire has positive output. Use a voltmeter to verify ground is ground and power is power.

·
Cone Dodger
3,093 Posts
question is, did he route it to the load side of the foglights, as in directly to the foglights, or to the control side, as in the foglight relay............or the scenario is he directly applied the + and - of the led lights to the battery, then smoked the relays.....if it's directly to the battery, how could that be, or the ground was still connected to the fogs' ground then applied the 12v from the battery to the LEDs', and if the "ground" was really ground..........

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
these are those washer nozzle lights, right?
another cool idea I've seen done before (and this works) is you can connect them to the corners AND the blinker, they will go on with the parking lights and they will flash with the blinker. What you do is connect the pisitive lead to the red corner wire and the negative lead to the green corner wire. this only works with LEDs. $.02

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey I understand what everybody is saying and i actually connected them to the corners in the end, The thing is when they smoked i had nothing connected everything was back to normal and when i touched the + from the led to the battery and the - from the led to the battery the relays smoked very confused?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah i think so too!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts