Nissan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
wont go any faster?
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as some of you may kno i rebuilt my ga16de. the whole 9 yards. now that i got it running at low rpms it runs fine. but while im cruising on the high way about 70 around 3krpm it smokes like crazy. is this from lubing up the cyl walls while installing my piston. and its just burning off the ecsess oil and possible some seaping through the ring since its ben honed. if so about how long will this take to wear off cause well its kinda imbarassing driving down the highway with smoke pooring and people looking at you. i sat in my drive way held it at 3k and nothing happend drove it up to 45mph around 3k still no smoke its only on the highway

·
Registered
391 Posts
For the first little while it will burn all the lubes etc. you used and also the sealer will heat up etc. On my previous car i first let the car run for about 20 min. at 2000rpm and then changed oil to remove all the crap etc. then refill fluid and go for a drive only allowing rpms to hit 2500-3000rpm for the first couple hundred miles then gradually as distance increases so should rpms. After about 700 miles or so i finally put it down and just drove it, it was a mustang but i'm gonna use the same process on my GA rebuild. Try this and see if the smoke stops you have to give it time but be easy on the car (i think) and see what happens, other then that need to know what colour, smell the smoke is.

·
wont go any faster?
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
new94 said:
For the first little while it will burn all the lubes etc. you used and also the sealer will heat up etc. On my previous car i first let the car run for about 20 min. at 2000rpm and then changed oil to remove all the crap etc. then refill fluid and go for a drive only allowing rpms to hit 2500-3000rpm for the first couple hundred miles then gradually as distance increases so should rpms. After about 700 miles or so i finally put it down and just drove it, it was a mustang but i'm gonna use the same process on my GA rebuild. Try this and see if the smoke stops you have to give it time but be easy on the car (i think) and see what happens, other then that need to know what colour, smell the smoke is.
its like a blueish white wich is oil if im right...i dont dog i baby it for the next 2 or 3k miles slowly break it back in

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,282 Posts
Skoodles said:
its like a blueish white wich is oil if im right...i dont dog i baby it for the next 2 or 3k miles slowly break it back in
How much Oil are you burning or losing ?
Watch the Oil level and let us know.....
I re-ringed a Honda Civic CVCC and used lots of Oil. Had to take it back down and replace the Oil rings with Honda Oil rings instead of aftermarket. It was that bad.....
Also you could be sucking oil from a bad seal or gasket somewhere ( Z28 intake problem I had come to mind....Don't know if a intake gasket can give you oil problems on a 4 banger though....
Good Luck....

·
wont go any faster?
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it burned alot cause i put in a qt and a half cause it was on the first curve of my dip stick and then driving home on the high way started smoking then started misfiring so ima go and check and clean my plugs in a few minutes. i have nissan rings in it from the dealership

·
wont go any faster?
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
came up with a new theory i think the place that got my rings got the wrong sizes cause well it just pain out shouldnt be doing this and i think its just enough gap to produce enough oil to foul out plugs and smoke

·
Drop-Out
1,892 Posts
Skoodles said:
some one said i should try and disconnect my pcv hose and maybe it would stop some of the burning smoke is this true? or atleast stop some of my burning oil
thats total BS! All the PCV does is keep the gases reciralating and not going out to the atmosphere.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Skoodles said:
came up with a new theory i think the place that got my rings got the wrong sizes cause well it just pain out shouldnt be doing this and i think its just enough gap to produce enough oil to foul out plugs and smoke
Ok 1 1/2 quarts in how many miles ?
When you pull the plugs pull all of them and note differences this may help where the oil is going.

My Honda didn't misfire even when doing 75 miles to the quart.

Check that they gave you the correct oversize rings not standard, that will be marked on the packaging for the rings and Pistons.
Did you get it bored and honed ?
Or is it just standard size with glaze broken ?

Yes I agree it should not be doing this even if not broken in yet.

Are there any gaskets that link the oil galleries to the intake anywhere ?

Keep looking.... BTW where are you in Texas ???
Good Luck...

·
wont go any faster?
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
IanH said:
Ok 1 1/2 quarts in how many miles ?
When you pull the plugs pull all of them and note differences this may help where the oil is going.

My Honda didn't misfire even when doing 75 miles to the quart.

Check that they gave you the correct oversize rings not standard, that will be marked on the packaging for the rings and Pistons.
Did you get it bored and honed ?
Or is it just standard size with glaze broken ?

Yes I agree it should not be doing this even if not broken in yet.

Are there any gaskets that link the oil galleries to the intake anywhere ?

Keep looking.... BTW where are you in Texas ???
Good Luck...
i dont remember the what th package said the just stuck my old rings in the package and stuck the new ones on the pistons for me.. but i still had to face them the right way. they should be standard size cause all they did was hone it to rough up the walls. all the plugs are the same when i pull them and i can see little bit of oil on the tops of the pistons whith a light when i pull the plugs out. as far as gaskets i dont think there are any and at least it doesnt leak oil. so far i only have 150 miles on the carsisnce the rebuild.

---- i live in bridge city texas south east really close wehre it meets louisiana think thats close enough to the spelling. also you might kno beaumont im about 15-25 minutes south of that depending how fast you drive lol

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Skoodles said:
i dont remember the what th package said the just stuck my old rings in the package and stuck the new ones on the pistons for me.. but i still had to face them the right way. they should be standard size cause all they did was hone it to rough up the walls. all the plugs are the same when i pull them and i can see little bit of oil on the tops of the pistons whith a light when i pull the plugs out. as far as gaskets i dont think there are any and at least it doesnt leak oil. so far i only have 150 miles on the carsisnce the rebuild.

---- i live in bridge city texas south east really close wehre it meets louisiana think thats close enough to the spelling. also you might kno beaumont im about 15-25 minutes south of that depending how fast you drive lol
All I can say is I have been where you are now and I am sure its solvable.

Well since I wrote that last post I have a bad feeling you have a compression problem.
I think its time to do a compression test. Do you have a tester ?

If you can try really hard not to use hardly any throttle opening when you drive because if this is the compression rings the blow-by will overheat them and they lose the spring that keeps them against the cylinder wall.

OK if its standard size you cant have the wrong size.
They can be put in upside down, and you should have aligned the gaps around the piston.

When you assembled pistons to the block did the rings noticeably stick out from the bore ? and was the spring tension noticeable, usually they are tough to get back in the cylinder bore.

what was the estimated wear in the cylinder top to bottom? Who measured this and how ?

I was hoping you were closer to Dallas area, there are a lot of Nissan guys on the forum here from Dallas.

Ok I will look at the FSM for ideas.

·
wont go any faster?
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
IanH said:
All I can say is I have been where you are now and I am sure its solvable.

Well since I wrote that last post I have a bad feeling you have a compression problem.
I think its time to do a compression test. Do you have a tester ?

If you can try really hard not to use hardly any throttle opening when you drive because if this is the compression rings the blow-by will overheat them and they lose the spring that keeps them against the cylinder wall.

OK if its standard size you cant have the wrong size.
They can be put in upside down, and you should have aligned the gaps around the piston.

When you assembled pistons to the block did the rings noticeably stick out from the bore ? and was the spring tension noticeable, usually they are tough to get back in the cylinder bore.

what was the estimated wear in the cylinder top to bottom? Who measured this and how ?

I was hoping you were closer to Dallas area, there are a lot of Nissan guys on the forum here from Dallas.

Ok I will look at the FSM for ideas.
well they installed the rings on the pistons and i didnt really look to see if it was upside down. also i didnt ask how bad the cyl walls were. as far as did they stick out i dont remember that was about a week or more ago that i installed them but i use a ring compressor. i was going to run a compression test tonight but i called my dad and he wasnt home so ill try that tomarow and let you kno what its at. one thing that i noticed weird is that on our pistons theres only one compression ring unlike other cars where theres 2 on each piston.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Skoodles said:
well they installed the rings on the pistons and i didnt really look to see if it was upside down. also i didnt ask how bad the cyl walls were. as far as did they stick out i dont remember that was about a week or more ago that i installed them but i use a ring compressor. i was going to run a compression test tonight but i called my dad and he wasnt home so ill try that tomarow and let you kno what its at. one thing that i noticed weird is that on our pistons theres only one compression ring unlike other cars where theres 2 on each piston.
Yes the FSM says there are only top ring, and Three part Oil ring. Yes odd, only two rings like a chain saw !!!
Did the shop break the glaze and hone the cylinder bore or did you do that ?

Please confirm the Oil ring was a three part ring. You know top rail, expander and bottom rail. The rails are normally shinny chrome.

I might add at this last point is very important, it caused my Honda problem !!!

·
wont go any faster?
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
IanH said:
Yes the FSM says there are only top ring, and Three part Oil ring. Yes odd, only two rings like a chain saw !!!
Did the shop break the glaze and hone the cylinder bore or did you do that ?

Please confirm the Oil ring was a three part ring. You know top rail, expander and bottom rail. The rails are normally shinny chrome.

I might add at this last point is very important, it caused my Honda problem !!!
yeah the oil ring was 3 parts like you said. and the machine shop honed my block. the shop was really confused when they only saw one compression ring lol its like having 4 lawnmower engines lol

·
wont go any faster?
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
it doesnt smoke near as mutch befor it only did it for about 5 seconds and quit smoking but it still had a hesitation like missfire i have bosch platinum plugs. and im thinking about going to get me some split fire or even the 4 way plugs so they wont foul out at easy ...i think little by little the rings are seating in. friend of the family that works at a toyota dealership said try to get teh car to heat up a little more than normal. not over heating it to the red mark just get it a little hotter than normal and then let it set for 8 hours and that should help the rings.. it sounds reasonable i might try it. drive around get it normal temp come home disconnect the fans and let it idle

·
Registered
391 Posts
I'd definatley get a few miles on it before i start tearing it apart again, if the smokes getting lighter then your probably ok and it was just the break in period. Like usual though not seeing it first hand this is only guessing and/or opinions but i'd do what the toyota guy said and go from there.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Skoodles said:
it doesnt smoke near as mutch befor it only did it for about 5 seconds and quit smoking but it still had a hesitation like missfire i have bosch platinum plugs. and im thinking about going to get me some split fire or even the 4 way plugs so they wont foul out at easy ...i think little by little the rings are seating in. friend of the family that works at a toyota dealership said try to get teh car to heat up a little more than normal. not over heating it to the red mark just get it a little hotter than normal and then let it set for 8 hours and that should help the rings.. it sounds reasonable i might try it. drive around get it normal temp come home disconnect the fans and let it idle
Assuming its getting better keep the load to a minium and hope its just the Oil ring not seating. The compression ring should be the right way up is the shop did it and knows what they are doing.
On the forum here there is a lot of criticism of Bosche plugs, bearing in mind they will get fouled and dirty think about buying the std NGK plugs, you will probably have to replace them again soon anyway.
Pleased its going a bit better for you....

·
wont go any faster?
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
IanH said:
Assuming its getting better keep the load to a minium and hope its just the Oil ring not seating. The compression ring should be the right way up is the shop did it and knows what they are doing.
On the forum here there is a lot of criticism of Bosche plugs, bearing in mind they will get fouled and dirty think about buying the std NGK plugs, you will probably have to replace them again soon anyway.
Pleased its going a bit better for you....
yeah they foul out and missfire all the time it thought about trying a split fire or somethin

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I wonder if they got the correct rings in for the bore match???? You cannot install the same size rings when you hone/bore the cylinders. What about the oil rings. Any issues there, and you will burn oil. Honda Preludes burn oil, the H22A motor always does. But out GA16de's don't burn oil unless the rings are shot or the valve seals are shot. Do you know which cylinder is burning oil? or are all of them? Go back to the shop!! did you break in the motor as the manual tells you to? You must do this correctly and do not use synthetic for break in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Chris 92 classic

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
sunnysentra said:
I wonder if they got the correct rings in for the bore match???? You cannot install the same size rings when you hone/bore the cylinders. What about the oil rings. Any issues there, and you will burn oil. Honda Preludes burn oil, the H22A motor always does. But out GA16de's don't burn oil unless the rings are shot or the valve seals are shot. Do you know which cylinder is burning oil? or are all of them? Go back to the shop!! did you break in the motor as the manual tells you to? You must do this correctly and do not use synthetic for break in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Chris 92 classic
Chris,
Good point about the synthetic Oil.
From the discussion so far I think the shop just broke the glaze so STD size will be OK. Also if its oversize he would need oversize pistons and he said the pistons were re-used. I am surprised its getting better already.

Skoodles,
Let us know the Oil consumption now and how its going....
Good Luck.....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts