Nissan Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had a new aftermarket catilytic converter installed on my 94 Sentra due to a rotted old one! I notice here and there a rotten egg smell mostly when driving it hard, is this just cause it's new and will it go away? I realize on new vehicles i've smelt this before but just wondering if it's permanent or not! Thanks

·
Registered
114 Posts
This could also indicate a rich air/fuel mixture. Any smoke when you floor it?

Also, how exactly does this thing convert smelly cats?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I meant that since i installed the new catilytic i noticed a rotten egg smell, is it just temporary of a new cat or will it alway's be like that now?

It make's the cat's cleaner somehow!lol

·
Registered
78 Posts
When I put a new one in my s10, it smelled that way for a day or two. If it's really bad they sell crap you pour in your gas tank that deoderizes it. I believe the smell may be from sulfer in fuel and/or other materials that are in the cat that burn off.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll look into that crap that takes the smell away, as for it being bad i can't see it as it only has like 500 miles on it and i've smelt it before when i followed a brand new car! My original one was so bad that all you could smell was a bad fuel smell etc. once the new one was on bang it's gone, my car wasn't burning the access fuel at all so it was running big time rich i assume.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was just searching for an answer on the web to the rotten egg smell problem and found a few answers to be it is unburned fuel in the cat!
1. Air/Fuel mixture is too rich
2. May have a clogged air filter
3. A problem with a sensor controlling your fuel injection system
My air filter is pretty new, sensor problem i thought unlikely since it didn't do this with the old converter. I'm leaning toward's too rich since i only notice it when i get into the throttle. How can this be checked? May my timing be to low?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Your air/fuel ratio is largely affected by your O2 sensor. On your 94, there should be one in the header. How's your mileage? Could it be just cheap/bad gas? Try running the current tank all the way down and fill up someplace else next time.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
The smell is sulfer dioxide. This is unburned hydrocarbons passing into the cat. Its rich fuel dumping into the cat. Alot of GM cars have the smell, go behind them when going up a hill. Look at o2 sensor.

chris 92 classic

1 - 9 of 9 Posts