Nissan Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I let my girlfriend's sister drive my car today and she was doing fine...maybe slipping the clutch a little moret than I usually do but nothing too excesive. I have a 95 200SX with about 110,000 miles on it and what I believe to be the stock clutch. Even though it is the stock clutch, I have never had a problem with it. If I try to start out in 3rd gear it will stall and I can run it up in first and let off the gas and step on it again and the clutch still grabs. Anyways, as we were getting on the e-way today with her driving the revs started to climb without the car moving any faster. Her foot was off the clutch once i realized this...I had her just lightly get on the gas to get up to speed and nurse it back to my house. The car sat there for a couple hours and I went to take it out and the clutch passed all my tests again. What the hell happened when she was driving it? Has anyone seen this before?

My guess is as follows:

She didn't have the clutch released all the way when she got on the gas getting onto the eway and let the revs climb once she heated it up...

From her driving she warmed up the clutch too much and it started to slip and once I let it cool down it was ok again...

My clutch is toast, I just don't know how to test it correctly...

All of the above...

Again, it passes all the tests and feels just like it did before i let her drive it. I adjusted the clutch about 2 months ago but I just readjusted it to make sure that it was not partially engaged. Just as a reference...I can get the clutch to slip if I shift hard in 1st-2nd and if I try to drop the clutch in the dry but that I believe is being slightly abusive to an old clutch. I am looking at just using this car to get me through winter and I want that too happen since we are past the half way point. Thanks for your advice and thoughts.

Dave

·
Registered
98 Posts
did she have it in gear? if everything is working now there nothing to worry about. there could have been many factors.
1. if it was a new driver she could have had the clutch in a little and not know it, even if your foot was touching the pedal, that could have been enough to make it slip. depending on how you clutch is set up.
2.your friction plate is on its last life, if you loosen up the cable some more you might squeeze a few more miles out of it.

what you should do is just take it easy on the car until you get a new clutch.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,282 Posts
DSrugis said:
I let my girlfriend's sister drive my car today and she was doing fine...maybe slipping the clutch a little moret than I usually do but nothing too excesive. I have a 95 200SX with about 110,000 miles on it and what I believe to be the stock clutch. Even though it is the stock clutch, I have never had a problem with it. If I try to start out in 3rd gear it will stall and I can run it up in first and let off the gas and step on it again and the clutch still grabs. Anyways, as we were getting on the e-way today with her driving the revs started to climb without the car moving any faster. Her foot was off the clutch once i realized this...I had her just lightly get on the gas to get up to speed and nurse it back to my house. The car sat there for a couple hours and I went to take it out and the clutch passed all my tests again. What the hell happened when she was driving it? Has anyone seen this before?

My guess is as follows:

She didn't have the clutch released all the way when she got on the gas getting onto the eway and let the revs climb once she heated it up...

From her driving she warmed up the clutch too much and it started to slip and once I let it cool down it was ok again...

My clutch is toast, I just don't know how to test it correctly...

All of the above...

Again, it passes all the tests and feels just like it did before i let her drive it. I adjusted the clutch about 2 months ago but I just readjusted it to make sure that it was not partially engaged. Just as a reference...I can get the clutch to slip if I shift hard in 1st-2nd and if I try to drop the clutch in the dry but that I believe is being slightly abusive to an old clutch. I am looking at just using this car to get me through winter and I want that too happen since we are past the half way point. Thanks for your advice and thoughts.

Dave
Hi Dave,
Well my 97 GXE with stock clutch has 72,000 miles and I purchased the car new. My wife and son drove the car until 45,000 miles. At the point I started to drive it it was what I would call weak. If you slip it at all it will slip badly and revs climb. Lift off the gas, then everything is fine. From a start you can rev up the engine give it lots of gas and drop the clutch, the tires spin, no clutch slip. Someone on the board here suggested this, I was amazed it would do this.
Since this has been this way for nearly 30,000 miles I do not believe this is wear as such. I think its maybe a weak stock pressure plate and poor linings that do not have much heat capacity, so they heat up really easily.
Well I do believe that without nursing the thing would be toast by now, how long it will last i don't know, till pressure plate hits the rivets I hope.
Hope this helps.....
Good luck....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone...I guess I will keep driving it until it happens again (if it does.)

Dave

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
DSrugis said:
Thanks everyone...I guess I will keep driving it until it happens again (if it does.)

Dave
Try a second gear start slipping the clutch, mine will slip baddly every time...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Umm.... Why would you stat out in 2nd gear anyway? My car tends to bog very badly when starting from second, no matter how high you rev it, and of course starting from 3rd is going to be horrible on the engine/clutch. At least thats how I feel about it. That's what first gear is for,

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
DSrugis said:
Tried it and the car will bog or stall.

Dave
Tried mine again yesterday on the way home, starting from some traffic lights and it depends on how fast I engage, if I slip it a lot it will spin, if I engage fast it will grab and go or bog.
Sounds to me like your clutch will be OK for a while.
Good Luck.......

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
[QUOTE='98200SXse]Umm.... Why would you stat out in 2nd gear anyway? My car tends to bog very badly when starting from second, no matter how high you rev it, and of course starting from 3rd is going to be horrible on the engine/clutch. At least thats how I feel about it. That's what first gear is for,[/QUOTE]
To test the clutch.
Wow you snuck this in 1 minute before my reply posted.
Dsrugis has the same weak clutch as mine I believe, and if you slip the clutch in first it will not always be reduced to a slipping smoldering mess.
When I have been caught in second it just about always slips if you rev the engine and slip the clutch.

·
nissan??? whats that
280 Posts
my clutch has 97,7XX on it and it is stock, no slips at all and, the origional owner, the second owner, Me, and 3 ex/girlfriends have all learned to drive on it. they say to replace it like every 30K-60K but thats bs.... 9 and 1/2 years and 100K and its still going strong

·
Registered
116 Posts
In my experiences (I'm on my 2nd now) the GA16DE's clutch simply does not like to be toyed with.

If you get off the clutch as quickly as possible while the shift still being comfortable its GREAT.

If you let it out too slowly it gets ANGRY and slips for a while.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Well, shift smooth without slipping and I would say your clutch would last for a long time. I'm still on my original clutch which has 156k miles on it, with no signs of slipping. I can mash it in 2nd gear or whatever gear I'm in, and it grabs =)

·
Registered
121 Posts
At 110K you are pusing your luck with the stocker.
I think it all depends on the driver and the individual car. I used to own a '92 Sentra E and currently drive a '96 GXE. The clutch on the '92 had to be replaced at about 124,000 miles. The '96 still has its original stock clutch even after 205,000 miles. It is possible the that original owner of the car replaced the stock ckutch, which I doubt since I bought the car with only 34,000 miles on it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts