Nissan Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I NEED HELP PLEASE...

I purchased my 2003 nissan sentra GXE about 3 months ago and it has about 30,000 miles. Ever since i have had my sentra i have noticed a delay when i start the car. This happens at random. Sometimes when i turn the key it starts instantly and at random times it will take a good 10 seconds to start. When this happens it sounds like the engine is struggling to start up. However when this problem occurs my car will always start but it takes a while to do so. I was thinking this could be a bad battery but im not sure. I have taken it to the dealer and they cannot get the engine to duplicate the same problem. I am stupid when it comes to cars so if you have any advice at all i would greatly appreciate it...

:thumbup:

· Registered
7 Posts
Brisk227 said:
I NEED HELP PLEASE...

I purchased my 2003 nissan sentra GXE about 3 months ago and it has about 30,000 miles. Ever since i have had my sentra i have noticed a delay when i start the car. This happens at random. Sometimes when i turn the key it starts instantly and at random times it will take a good 10 seconds to start. When this happens it sounds like the engine is struggling to start up. However when this problem occurs my car will always start but it takes a while to do so. I was thinking this could be a bad battery but im not sure. I have taken it to the dealer and they cannot get the engine to duplicate the same problem. I am stupid when it comes to cars so if you have any advice at all i would greatly appreciate it...

I have a 2004 sentra and have had the same problem,
but I'm not sure how to correct it, my dad used to be a mechanic and he is unsure what is causing it. I've had this problem since I had about 6000 miles on the car. And my battery is corrosion free. If anybody has any info on this it would really be good knowledge. I'm affraid it is going to wear out my engine prematurely

· Not Anymore.
9,075 Posts
That could be anything from a bad fuel pump, to clogged fuel injectors, to a starter problem, etc. The Nissan Spec V has a TSB (Technical Service Bulliten) on their fuel pumps which means it has been noted that the fuel pumps are prone to going bad and the dealer will fix it free of charge. I would check Nissan's websites for TSBs on your engine to see if there are any that may explain your problem and from their your dealer can work with you.

· Registered
21 Posts
matthew1219 said:
*bump*?

No one has posted in here for a while, I am interested to find out what leads to this issue though...
I had (and am having once again) the same problem with my 2003 Sentra. On hot restarts, after the car sat for 1 or 2 hours, the car was very difficult to crank over. It was always fine first thing in the morning when everything was cold. At 20K miles the fuel pump was replaced and the problem was corrected. I now have 85K miles on it and it is showing the same exact symptoms again. I think I'll have the fuel pump changed again soon.

· Registered
1 Posts
Brisk227 said:
I NEED HELP PLEASE...

I own two almost identical 2003 Sentra's. They have both had this same problem since I've purchased them. I've found that it doesn't appear to be random, however; we tend to have the problem more frequently in the evening (we frequently drive 30 minutes to a neighboring town for dinner, and then have the problem when we try to start either car after dinner). I've also noticed that it seems to happen more frequently on hot & humid days.

One time, when this problem occurred, the SES light came on. I found a site on the net that told me how to check the light, and this particular code said the problem had something to do with the fuel level sensor, for whatever that's worth.

I haven't taken them in yet; I thought I'd check the Internet tonight first...

· Registered
4 Posts
Same problem, finally fixed

I had the same exact problem with my Sentra, it only took the dealership (whom could never "duplicate" the problem) 9 months to figure it out. They replaced the fuel filter and it has started up right away every time since then.

· Registered
5 Posts
same problem!!!

horvat22 said:
I own two almost identical 2003 Sentra's. They have both had this same problem since I've purchased them. I've found that it doesn't appear to be random, however; we tend to have the problem more frequently in the evening (we frequently drive 30 minutes to a neighboring town for dinner, and then have the problem when we try to start either car after dinner). I've also noticed that it seems to happen more frequently on hot & humid days.

One time, when this problem occurred, the SES light came on. I found a site on the net that told me how to check the light, and this particular code said the problem had something to do with the fuel level sensor, for whatever that's worth.

I haven't taken them in yet; I thought I'd check the Internet tonight first...

My 2003 sentra 1.8L just kicked the Service engine soon light..checked the code..it's P0462 Fuel level sensor. I've been having hard starting problems just as you described! I wonder if I should take the TSB that is posted here to the dealer, but this dealer has given us the run around a bunch of times when the headgasket blew.

· Registered
21 Posts
cutehumor said:
My 2003 sentra 1.8L just kicked the Service engine soon light..checked the code..it's P0462 Fuel level sensor. I've been having hard starting problems just as you described! I wonder if I should take the TSB that is posted here to the dealer, but this dealer has given us the run around a bunch of times when the headgasket blew.

I thought the TSB was for 2.5 liters only. If it is for 1.8 liter engine, is it still valid for a 2003 XE with 90K miles?

· Registered
5 Posts
dsfolk said:
I thought the TSB was for 2.5 liters only. If it is for 1.8 liter engine, is it still valid for a 2003 XE with 90K miles?

The TSB says

"Applied vehicles: 2002 Sentra with QR 25 engine only
2003-2005 Sentra with QR 25 or QG18 engine "

so basically, the 2.5 and 1.8 L engines must use the same fuel pump for 03-05 model years. 03 sentra 1.8 is valid, not sure about your mileage though. but my sentra has a 75k extended warranty so I'll have them look into it.

· Registered
1 Posts
Transmission...new member needs help!

kdw311 said:
I had the same exact problem with my Sentra, it only took the dealership (whom could never "duplicate" the problem) 9 months to figure it out. They replaced the fuel filter and it has started up right away every time since then.
I'm new to the forum so I ask that you bear with me. I have the same exact problem with my 2003 Sentra. I've taken it to the dealer twice, both times they said it has been fixed, but could not tell me what the problem was. Guess what...it still has the problem! I am taking it back to the dealer late next week because I now have a transmission problem...i'll ask them to check the fuel pump. The transmission problem started after I took it home from the dealer the second time. I have an automatic and it has a hard time going from 2nd into 3rd and it will not switch into overdrive. The car has also started jerking into 2nd gear the first time (after I slow down for a stop light etc...it gets better shifting into 2nd gear) The engine revs at when I reach 50+mph and will not accelerate. As soon as I take my foot off the gas to slow down, it rpm gage drops down to 1, but the car is still going 40-50 mph?!?! They told me that since the car is "drivable" (not really!!!) they cannot get me in for service any sooner. The transmission fluid is at the right level and color. My father was a mechanic and he told me the car's computer controls 3rd and 4th gear and that the dealer might have mistakenly screwed something up while fixing the starting problem??? does any of this make sense...help!!?!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.