Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NEED HELP :(
Just got em in.. after 4 weeks, and I tried to put them in, and damn... the needles wont move because the new Faceplate Guages are too thick. Also I have no idea where to wire them.
So i decided to do a little trimming so the needles will move. Damn cut them too far.

Can someone tell me, If they should fit over the existing faceplates, nice and snug, and allow the needles to move?

I tried for 3 1/2 hours today trying to figure it out, how to take off the needle, take off the old plates and no luck.. can someone help me out, plz?

1991 Nissan Sentra GXE ....... Fuel/Temp/TACH/MpH Reverse indiglo Guages ......................

·
Registered
339 Posts
Procarparts indiglo gauges

PrOxLaMuS© said:
oh yeh..... the box also didnt come with instructions,

and yes, I did do a search throughout the entire site to find out what the hell is going on and no luck
I do not know about the gauges for the 91, but I have them on my 98 Sentra. I fit them on over the OEM gauges and my needles move just fine. As far a wiring...just use a multimeter to test the wiring behind the cluster to test for ground and for 12 volts when the parking lights are on. Very simple

·
Registered
55 Posts
i didn't get my indaglow's from procarparts, but i can try to help you out. when i went to put mine on, all i did was slightly fold them like a taco shell and slide i needle threw the hole. it shouldn't just be able to fit over the circle that holds the needle so you give it a gentle push, and if should fit nice. i left my orginal black back groud there, and have had no problems with it. also it is important that you do not try to take your needle off, i've heard that it is a costly mistake. and about wireing them up, if you go to nis-knacks.com, and look how they tell you i wire in glowing hvac dials, since i have those already, i just ran my indaglow's off of that, with no problems. if you're not happy with the indaglows that you have, another place you can get them from is speedpeople.com, that's where mine came from, hope this help you out, if you got any other question, just ask....adam

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well this isnt too good.....
today I drove to my girlfriends house, and shit.... my speedometer stops at about 45, then doesnt go up or down, until I go to a complete stop. Also when running on IDLE my car says it's running at 0 RPM........

Good God... someone please help!

·
what?
2,704 Posts
Hey,
Mine from procarparts.com work just fine. I took off the old faces altogether so I am not using the new ones as overlays. They are the faces. No wiring problems either. Just connect the two wires that come from the 'main' box that connects all the individual faces, to one of the light bulb plugs behind the cluster housing. Now your guages will light up and dim with the in dash dimmer too.

Seth

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can anyone please post some detailed instructions on how to remove the needles, and put them back on.
I already got an e-mail telling me how to take em off, but how to I fix the needles, cause my speedo always says about 45 until I go to a complete stop, and when I idle, it sayss its running at 0 RPM..

·
Registered
55 Posts
i got the blue one and they look great. the only complaint that i have about the set up is , the blue on my indaglow's don't match the hvac. but i'm not to worried about it that much, would rather spend the money on go fast parts than looks. i'd recommend the hvac to anyone, and richard at nis-knacks is great to deal with. later....adam

K

·
0 Posts
yeah I'm still waiting to get my indiglos in from procarparts... hopefully they will be in monday. So you installed them over your existing guages? Maybe if you didn't you can just take the old one's off.. I mean is it sticking b/c you still have the new ones in.. or are you back to the original and it's sticking still? Just curious (since I'm going to be installing these soon). Btw, hey seth -- thanks for that tip about the dimmer man, I'm gonna do that when they come in (btw, I like your setup with the tach, I saw it in another post)

Later
Tommy

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeh i put them on over the existing gauges.
I have no IdEa how to remove the old guages, and I HAVE no idea on how to remove the Guage Pod.
Im soo confused......

Can someone explain to me, how do I get the cluster out and how do I remove the original gauge faceplates?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok.... I am trying again, what should I do..
1.) Should I remove the entire guage cluster and try to install it?
2.) Should I remove the needles and remove the existing faceplates?
3.) Should I just cut the old faceplates out with a razor, and slip on the new ones?

Can someone help me out here, are they desgined to simply slip over the old ones, which allow the needles to move, or, shit what the hell do I do.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
By the way, I can't remove the cluster, because I cant get my hand, nor anyone elses to detach the sppedo cables and harness'.

How would I go about doing this? I think I posted some directions, where it said to go into or by teh firewall and give it some slack. Would these wires be located, inside the firewall, close to the pedals, somewhere in teh engine bay?
I even tried taking out the front seat, and sticking my head deep under teh steering wheel and practically resting my back against the pedals. I found the cables, but I couldnt reach them.

What the hell..... god damnit, why can't they just slip on like they are supposed 2.

·
what?
2,704 Posts
Hey,
Basically if there isn't slack its because that trebranch of a harness is snagged on something. Just lify yout hand behind the steering wheel behind the cluster and swish around the cables (covered by black electrical tape) eventually you will de-snag on whatever is behind the cluster. This happened to me a few times but it takes only a second.
Why your speedo stops at 45mph I dont know. However the reason you idle at zero is because the calibration is off. Just rotate the tach needle very carefully counterclockwise from when it starts to get stiff in motion, and stop a little earlier than full circle. (meaning if your needle gets stiff at 6:00, then rotate 4:00, 3:00, ....untill uoi get back to 7:00, and stop around 6:30) see when the engine idles that the needle is pointing at the appropriate idle rpm. Then you're all set.

Seth

Removing the needles isn't difucult its just very tedious and you need a steady hand. they are very easy to break, but that doesn't mean it can't and shouldn't be done.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alright, well I have fixed the speedometer, and it works fine, and now just the RPM is about 200 under. So instead of running at 1,000 rpm, the Tach says its running at 800rpm.

I will hopefull try to remove the needles tonight, but I am scared shit less of ruining the calibration of the needles, and if I were to mess them up, my dad would kill me.
Officially, I cant modify the car, since my dad gave it to, and its still under "his" name.

So every 2 weeks, I gather some shit from the salvage yard, and got an entire dash set to paint, and new valve cover.

This has nothing to do with anything

·
what?
2,704 Posts
Hey,
You mean the final two that power the whole setup? Simple, just twist off one of the cluster 194 bulbs, strip the two inverter wires 1/8 or 1/4 inch. Then put the wires on the metal contacts of the green 'circuit board' of the cluster. Press the bulb with its plastic retainer over the wires on the metal contacts, then just twist back in with the wired wedged between the bulb holder and cluster. Now your lights go on with the signal stalk, and they dim with the factory dimmer.

Seth

1 - 20 of 33 Posts