Nissan Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i just installed my short shifter in my 95 200sx.. and i have a question to ask. has anyone else put one in their 200sx? and if so is it hard to shift? because mine is. is it because it needs to be broken in? or did i tighten something too much ?? :wtf:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a B&M Short Throw. IT WAS A BITCH to get the stock shifter out. I had to cut a whole bunch of stuff. But, It fits snug as a bug now and it while it was alittle harder to shift at first, it takes some getting used to. It now shifts nicely. Not like a cloud nice, but i can feel the gears.

Give it a few weeks.

I'm also using the stock rubber boot and knob, that might make a difference when it comes down to vibrati

·
Registered
5 Posts
in my 100nx (ga16 fwd) i made my own short throw, just took out the shifter and changed the pivot point (thats all a short throw does). its just a plastic ball that you need to move UP a few inches. not a problem with it and that was bout 15000 miles ago. only othe mod to do is to bend the heat shield down abit to clear the gear linkage (because it is now sitting lower)

costs ya nothing and has the same effect :rolleyes:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Also bear in mind that when you shorten the gear lever, you will need more force to change gears as you have lessened the leverage.

Its like using a short and a long pipe as a lever to move or lift something heavy.
Its easier with the long pipe...

·
Registered
104 Posts
in my 100nx (ga16 fwd) i made my own short throw, just took out the shifter and changed the pivot point (thats all a short throw does). its just a plastic ball that you need to move UP a few inches. not a problem with it and that was bout 15000 miles ago. only othe mod to do is to bend the heat shield down abit to clear the gear linkage (because it is now sitting lower)

explain more if you will, i will probably do this to mine, no sense in buying random parts if you can manufacture your own

·
Registered
13 Posts
I did the same as he did by shorting the throw but i also made mine shorter to it's only 3" tall. But i had no problems on bieng harder to shift, it's just a smoth as it was.

[/IMG]

·
Super Moderator
1,065 Posts
I have a B&M Short Throw. IT WAS A BITCH to get the stock shifter out. I had to cut a whole bunch of stuff. But, It fits snug as a bug now and it while it was alittle harder to shift at first, it takes some getting used to. It now shifts nicely. Not like a cloud nice, but i can feel the gears.

Give it a few weeks.

I'm also using the stock rubber boot and knob, that might make a difference when it comes down to vibrati
you shouldnt have had to cut and anything, just drop the cat, and the heat shield and its right there.

talk about ghetto :rolleyes:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yea but only really when your drifting. Also when i was just driving around and i would go to 3rd and i would jam my fingers, but after a couple times of that your learn.

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
Yea but only really when your drifting. Also when i was just driving around and i would go to 3rd and i would jam my fingers, but after a couple times of that your learn.
that's the difference between short shifter and short throw shifter. short throw decreases the angle as well as the height. might not jam your fingers :p.

·
Registered
74 Posts
the quote thingy wouldn't work sry
anyway drifting in a fwd. I know powerslides can be done (lift off oversteer) but come on man unless its the european 200sx your talking about drifting isn't likely.
isn't a shifter that short uncomfortable? the stock height seems good for me (short arms??) I've tried to shaft-shift down by the boot and it was pure hell. short throws should only affect travel not height too much. in this case I'd just slurge on the B&M. its done well and its worth the money from my experience in other cars.

·
Registered
173 Posts
That doesn't look like a center console for a B14... I would imagine that that's in some other car that might be RWD.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Actually i have a 240sx with a heavy mod sr so drifting is cool but back on point, i see what you r saying about the B&M short throw thats what i had in before i just moded my own, so basicaly this is what i did. At my college we have a machine that forge things i put the measurements of the b&m short throw into the computer, shorten the shaft untill it was just the height i wanted it and i pushed the button and then poped out my shifter. the cool thing was the block of aluminum i used was in the scrap bin so it was free. Then i sold the B&M shifter and made some of my money back on it.

But u said u have short arms well i'm 6' 2" so i have long arms and thats pretty much why i hit my fingers.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.