Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently got my 200SX SE-R and the throws between gears are long as hell! so i was wondering what is the best short shifter out for the 200SX and a price range for it. Thanx

·
G14 CLASSIFIED!!!!
763 Posts
For the $

Unfortunatly you are not going to get a good one for cheep. $tillen makes the best one I have seen for our cars and I really like it with the ACT clutch. Some have problems with the sincros or fighting to get it in gear but if its done right and everything is adjusted corectly shifting is like butter......

·
I command you to SEARCH
2,748 Posts
I don't have a manual, but if I did, I would get the B&M

It is pretty expensive though...I think it goes for around $150.00

·
Registered
19 Posts
Can get something for nothing

Theres no cheap short shifter that is good. Unless you buy it used off of one of your buddies, you wont get one under 70 or 80 bux (at the cheapest). I recommend the newer generation SMC short shifter. It has a delrin (self lubricating) pivot ball. It also has an adjustable throw, so you can get that perfect feel. SMC is super high quality stuff. I hope to replace my Pace Setter shifter to an SMC one soon. This is one sweet unit. :cool:

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
do not buy the ones selling on ebay.. I don't evan think they where designed for a nissan. Buy a B&M.. You can't go wrong with it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
NJDYSON said:
do not buy the ones selling on ebay.. I don't evan think they where designed for a nissan. Buy a B&M.. You can't go wrong with it.
That's what I plan on buying. Maybe I could get a group buy going on it. Any1 interested if so?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ebay shifter

ive tried the b&m in my friends car......it was great but way too expensive.....so i went el cheapo.....and got the ebay one.....its very close to the B&m one.......i like it for a tenth of the cost!!!

·
Registered
218 Posts
I had called Greg at Mossy Nissan and he said the SMC adjustable short throw shifter has been out of stock for some time now and future production is not planned at the moment.

Because of this, I went ahead and ordered a B&M shifter from Summit Racing just last week. They should get some in by this Thursday(10-10-2002) so hopefully it will arrive sometime next week.

Dave

·
Registered
150 Posts
Why spend a ton of money on something like B&M? Yeah it's nice, but I doubt nicer then the pacesetter unit. I for one don't like the brand pacesetter. I always thought they made cheap stuff. UNTIL I got my shifter. It's a real quality piece. They copied the SMC EXACTLY. It's fully adjustable, and the one I got comes with a teflon ball that lubricates rather well. I am VERY satisfied with it. And I got it for $65 shipped from Nopi.com. If you still don't think it's enough call suspension restoration parts out in Cali and get an ES shifter bushing. I seriously doubt there's any better setup then that. And if there is I have yet to see it.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To me you can't the quality of the B&M is tuff to beat. everything is milled steal and alluminum. The pace setter and smc unit are nice to. However I am a big fan of the B&M. I have had them in a few cars and never had a problem.. A buddy of mine got the aerospeed one and that is a total piece of crap. I would not use that thing for a paper wieght... It was just the lever and you had to use many of the stock parts that the good quality shifters replace..

I think that B&M smc, ps, and stillen make good units and if people are thinking of getting a short throw they should stick to one of those 4, no exceptions.

·
Registered
75 Posts
You're basically gonna have a hard time trying to find an SMC shifter because Steve from SMC will not be making them anymore. He actually sold the design to pacesetter, so they are the exact same thing. The only shifter that I've had experience with is the SMC/Pacesetter and I'm very happy with it. The fact that you can adjust the throw on it is what sold me.

·
Registered
218 Posts
My girfriend said, "ohmygod! it's so short!" I said, "why thank you."

I just finished installing the B&M short shifter. All I can say is WOW! At first I thought it was too notchy, took too much effort to shift, and was too far away from my hand, but when I actually drove it around the block and on the freeway it suddenly felt very natural. To me, it was worth every penny!

Here are a few things that I noticed for anyone that's interested. I installed the ES bushing by itself this morning because the shifter didn't come in until this afternoon. Well, to reiterate what everyone else on this forum has been saying, that little bushing really gives you a much better feel in the shifter, even with the stock setup. This is probably one of the best $5 upgrades anyone can get for our cars. As for the B&M shifter, it was very well made with very sturdy construction and a firm base that eliminated any slop in the shifter. I think this is the biggest difference between this shifter and the ones that do not come with an aftermarket base(aerospeed/pacesetter); that is not to say that one is better than the other, it really comes down to preference. The OEM base gives the shifter a little room to jiggle around and absorbs any excessive force applied while moving from one gear to the next. The B&M base is firm and only allows the shifter to tilt left and right; there is not longer any play forward and back.

As for now, I am really happy with this setup. I hope I still feel the same when I am cursing my way through Monday traffic!

·
Registered
145 Posts
140?

With those having the SMC designed pacesetter short shifter, have you also used the ES bushing? how has this worked?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Re: My girfriend said, "ohmygod! it's so short!" I said, "why thank you."

aphex4000 said:
I just finished installing the B&M short shifter. All I can say is WOW! At first I thought it was too notchy, took too much effort to shift, and was too far away from my hand, but when I actually drove it around the block and on the freeway it suddenly felt very natural. To me, it was worth every penny!

Here are a few things that I noticed for anyone that's interested. I installed the ES bushing by itself this morning because the shifter didn't come in until this afternoon. Well, to reiterate what everyone else on this forum has been saying, that little bushing really gives you a much better feel in the shifter, even with the stock setup. This is probably one of the best $5 upgrades anyone can get for our cars. As for the B&M shifter, it was very well made with very sturdy construction and a firm base that eliminated any slop in the shifter. I think this is the biggest difference between this shifter and the ones that do not come with an aftermarket base(aerospeed/pacesetter); that is not to say that one is better than the other, it really comes down to preference. The OEM base gives the shifter a little room to jiggle around and absorbs any excessive force applied while moving from one gear to the next. The B&M base is firm and only allows the shifter to tilt left and right; there is not longer any play forward and back.

As for now, I am really happy with this setup. I hope I still feel the same when I am cursing my way through Monday traffic!
Be sure to let us know how it works! I am certainly interested, as this is my next upgrade.

·
Longtime DSMtalker
123 Posts
Guys does anyone make a metal shifter bushing similar to the ones I put in my DSM? Here is the site, and it made a big difference in my 115,xxx miles Mitsu tranny. http://www.infobottle.com/ and click DSM shifter info.
Or is everyone just using the Energy Suspension bushings as a replacement?
Also I went to Nopi's site and they only list the B&M for the 99 Sentra??? But they have the PAcesetter listed for the 200SX for other years. They are the same, right? For $55 it seems like the right price. For those with the Pacesetter, I assume the factory knob won't fit, or does it have the factory sized threads?
Thanks!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Jaggrey,

I have done two days of city driving through VERY heavy traffic and have no negative impressions regarding this short shifter. It's just a little frustrating because the short throws make me want to drive fast...but it's not always possible when I'm boxed in by all the pickups and SUVs here in Houston.

pc080189,

I don't know of any other company that makes a shifter support bushing, esp. a mettalic one. The ES bushing however, provides plenty of support and feedback. The B&M and Pacesetter shifters are totally different. The Pacesetter shifter is identical to the SMC design. The B&M shifter comes with an entirely new base assembly made out of metal and a new knob. The Pacesetter shifter uses the OEM base assembly which is made of. The Pacesetter shifter has an adjustable fulcrum, the B&M does NOT. The B&M shifter has factory size threads for the knob, I am not sure about the Pacesetter.

·
Paging Mr. Herman
1,042 Posts
Recently I put in the B&M, overall awesome throw. Like someone else stated, I did have to get used to the fact that it was MUCH shorter than the stock shifter and I felt I had to really reach for the shifter. Got used to it in a week and no problems now. The only complaint I have is that I'm still trying to figure out a way to keep it from rattling at certain RPMs....if anyone has a suggestion let me know. Additionally, Nissan did not design our cars to be easy to change the shifter. You have to get under the car, drop the exhaust pipe, and work between jagged sheet metal (damn heat shield!!). My buddy has a GS-T Eclipse and it took him 20 minutes to change his shifter, mine took 2+ hours :rolleyes:

Anyhow, the B&M is awesome, $150 at Option Auto.

·
Longtime DSMtalker
123 Posts
Well that is the difference between a cable shifter in the DSM and the rod shifter in the Nissan.

zeno said:
Recently I put in the B&M, overall awesome throw. Like someone else stated, I did have to get used to the fact that it was MUCH shorter than the stock shifter and I felt I had to really reach for the shifter. Got used to it in a week and no problems now. The only complaint I have is that I'm still trying to figure out a way to keep it from rattling at certain RPMs....if anyone has a suggestion let me know. Additionally, Nissan did not design our cars to be easy to change the shifter. You have to get under the car, drop the exhaust pipe, and work between jagged sheet metal (damn heat shield!!). My buddy has a GS-T Eclipse and it took him 20 minutes to change his shifter, mine took 2+ hours :rolleyes:

Anyhow, the B&M is awesome, $150 at Option Auto.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts