Nissan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
I wouldn't consider myself a transmission expert, but I don't see how a poorly installed shifter could cause grinding. In fact, I don't really see how a shifter could be poorly installed - it's just a matter of replacing one metal lever with a different one.

My short shifter was the first mod that I ever did to a car (with no previous experience), and although it took me two days to figure everything out, it works perfectly for me now.

If you have any questions or if I can help you just contact me.

Aaron

B

·
0 Posts
aaron you make replacing the shifter sound so easy, is it? i am considering doing it, but if its hard i would just as easily pay someone to do it

A

·
0 Posts
Well, it did take my friend and I two days to figure it out. But I think with my directions you could easily do it in a few hours.

Here's what you do:

1) Go in the car and pull the panel holding the shift boot off. do the back first by pulling up, then pull up the front. Now you have to unscrew your shift knob. It's on there real good - I had to wrap it in a rag and use a vice grip to get it off the first time. Now the whole panel and boot slides off.

2) You have to let your exhaust hang down so that you can get at the shifter from the bottom. You will notice it's mounted to the car using rubber hangers. Spray WD40 on them and slide them off, and carefully lower it. There are like 5 or 6 hangers in total.

3) Take off the heat shield covering the shifter assembly under the car. Just unscrew it (5 screws)

4) Now you can see the whole shifter assembly. After taking off enough bolts and such you will be able to pop your shifter in there. I would give you more direction here but I don't remember exactly what the inside looks like. With enough tampering you'll get it in there.

The bolt that goes through the fulcrum of the shifter was impossible for me to get off, so I had to buy a nut breaker to get it off. It's this way for a reason though, so when you put that bolt back on be sure to buy some thread locking compound or it may come out while driving. Let's just say that I had to drive across the whole city in second when I did this the wrong way =/

All in all this is a good mod and with some logic and stick-to-itiveness I managed to do it with no prior experience.

If you get stuck while doing the mod just come on here and ask me... chances are I ran into the same problem. I'm happy to help.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Installation

Installing a short shifter is one of the easiest things you can do to your car. honestly it should take only 2 hours if you know what u r doin

·
Registered
115 Posts
I just installed a nice Nismo GT knob 2 days ago into my 200SX... I'd recommend you have a backup plan if you can't reuse your old stock knob. I tried to take mine off without breaking it and failed. That's with a full toolbox (including vise grips/channel locks/and grip wrenches - the rubber belt ones/ect). All I succeded in doing was causing the leather to seperate from the rubber knob (it's only glued on) and for the leather to stretch. Maybe you'll have better luck but I really wanted to save my old knob and wound up having to cut it off. I then had to cut off the rubber knob because I STILL couldn't get it off. What I found was a little black plastic nut that refused to come off. I basically twisted the little nut until it broke off. THEN I had to use a dremel with a wire brush to clean out the threads on the old shifter. That's how permantly fused that plastic was to the metal. Hopefully you'll have more luck than I did.

I have an SMC shifter that I'm finally getting around to installing after 3 years of it sitting around... I'm just waiting on the poly bushing before I install it. Then I'll transfer the Nismo knob over to it.

Good luck... let us know if you were able to get it off or not without breaking it.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Aaron

well i did buy a new shift knob cause my factory one i had to destroy. and my SE-R only had three hangers that i pulled off. then i unscrewed the heat sheild but i had the same damn problem with getting the damn bolt off. S Aaron once you got the bolt breaker it came right off how much did that cost? cause i was about to go to the local shop and pay my friend to help me with it.

N

·
0 Posts
I am also trying to install a short shifter, and having a ton of trouble getting the fulcrum nut off. Is a nut-breaker the best way to go? Also, I took the heat shield off... will it do any damage if I don't replace it? One of my friends seems to think the heat shield is worthless. Thanks for your help... this is my first posting:)

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
NastyNate319 said:
I am also trying to install a short shifter, and having a ton of trouble getting the fulcrum nut off. Is a nut-breaker the best way to go? Also, I took the heat shield off... will it do any damage if I don't replace it? One of my friends seems to think the heat shield is worthless. Thanks for your help... this is my first posting:)

funny thing is i got the bolt off without the bolt breaker i just got a better angle and tugged on the f**ka and came loose

·
Registered
435 Posts
To offer an answer to the original grinding question-alot of people have commented how a short throw will cause accelerated wear on the transmission syncros. The whole idea of shortening the throws means you are forcing the syncros to do there job alot quicker and with more force behind. If anyone has ever proven tranny failure from this, I doubt it but you might find yourself needing to double-clutch on downshifts and you might grind one once in a while. Can't comment personally, haven't modified my stock shifter yet.

·
P.O.S. Truckdriver
2,070 Posts
the only thing ive noticed thats difficult about my pacesetter is that when i downshift its alot harder to put in gear. now thats only when im getting ready to turn onto a road and im putting the brakes on and have the clutch in and i go from say 4th to 2nd....does the same if i go from 4th to 3rd then 2nd too...this is at like 45 mph....at the correct speed to downshift into the gear i have no problem. theonly reason i mention this is that before i install my s/s i had no problem doin that.

·
Paging Mr. Herman
1,042 Posts
i just got a B & M short shifter and one of my buddies said that it may grind a lot. is that true only on a poor install ????
I have never grinded a gear once w/ my B&M, shifts are extremely smooth and easy.

Installing a short shifter is one of the easiest things you can do to your car. honestly it should take only 2 hours if you know what u r doin
This was the first mod. I did and I really didn't know what I was getting in to, it took me ~4 hours. It is not simply taking the stock boot off and replacing the shifter. You have to jack the car up, drop the exhaust and work in a very small space surrounded by the f#$king razor sharp heat shield. My hands were not happy at the end of the day. :p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts