Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a good SHORT ram intake? Using a CAI isn't practical where i live and I would like to get a little more power and a little better look under the hood. Right now I am using the ghetto air box mod for more power but that just looks really ugly.

·
Oh, Herro!
2,337 Posts
Any of the WAIs will be just fine. A filter on a stick is a filter on a stick, for the most part. Stay away from Ractive, though, their filters have been proven to decrease power on a few cars. I have a Weapon-R Hyper tube with a Dragon filter and I'm happy. My homie 1CLNB14 uses an Injen piece and the finish is beautiful.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I saw the injen one. I thought that looked pretty good. I might get a CAI with a bypass valve. I just don't trust those that much I mean if it doesn't work right then there goes my engine. How much more HP am I looking at by going from a ghetto box to a WAI to a CAI?

·
Oh, Herro!
2,337 Posts
First of all, the AEM bypass has been proven to work, and very well. No need to worry about that. Second, it's extremely unlikely you will ever come into contact with a puddle deep enough to totally submerge your filter with a CAI. It would have to be about 2 ft deep... in which case your engine should be your last worry. I would seriously recommend a CAI over a WAI... it's just that much more power. I have no idea what the power increases are over stock, unfortunately. I'm going to guess that you might pull 3-5HP or so with a WAI and 7 or so with a CAI. There should be some dyno charts floating around in some of the issues of NPM.

·
Registered
393 Posts
yeah, it sounds about right. you will definately get more power from a CAI, but they are a lot more pain in the ass to install, since most of them require that you do a lil bit of cutting to get the pipe down to the bumper. also, if you are doing it for looks, all youre goign to see from the hood is a pipe, diving into sheet metal. check out the hondatuning thats on the stands now, it did a great article on the rsx intakes. gains should be comparable (not in hp but in percentage) they did like 3 CAIs, a couple WAIs and the k&n dropin. oh yeah, and the only reason CAIs are bad as far as reliability is concerned, is if your filter gets completely submerged in water, which is very rare. but im sure that it does get dirtier quicker, just due to the fact that it is exposed to the elements a lot more than a WAI. (yay, 100 posts!!!haha)

·
Banned
809 Posts
i got injen SRI, thanks to sentraRacer. it sounds like a beast, and the gain is remarkable! i could feel mega pull.. headers and 1.75" pipe with that must kick ass, i have 2.5"... dammit...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe there was an article a while back in either Super Street or SCC that had a Supra doing dyno pulls with the CAI submerged in a fishtank just to show how the bypass valve worked. I would like to go with the CAI especailly since there is only about a $25 difference between the Hotshot CAI and the Injen WAI. Besides that, as everyone knows these cars are kinda horsepower challenged (ESPECIALLY WHEN STOCK AND AUTO) so I really want to get as much power as possible (within budget reason).

·
Registered
547 Posts
Isn't the tubing size that runs to the TB 2.5"? Can you go 2.5" from your TB to and neck it to 3" to your MAS and then run 3" to the filter to wherever? Where do most people that make custom ones come out? Right before the left wheel in the wheel well?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts