Nissan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a picture of an short air intake on a QR25 Spec V? Preferably an AEM.

I have been looking for a few days now and have found none, only CAI's.
I want to now how they look/fit under the hood.

Thanks.

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
looks like a CAI without the main pipe down to the fender.

May I ask, why waste the money on a wai when you can get more hp from a CAI and they're perfectly safe in wet weather (assuming you don't drive thru 2' deep puddles)

·
What is Seven Ten for?
2,917 Posts
chimmike said:

(assuming you don't drive thru 2' deep puddles)
that or run your car while your washing it with the wheel wells off.

But if you really do want just a WAI, then measure the bolt pattern of the MAF and find an adapter plate that fits.

Biggest difference is gonna be price, but thats the only reason not to go with a FULL CAI.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
chimmike said:

May I ask, why waste the money on a wai when you can get more hp from a CAI and they're perfectly safe in wet weather (assuming you don't drive thru 2' deep puddles)
1. So there is a short pipe connected to the MAF, then the cone mounts onto the MAF with an adaptor plate? This would locate the filter behind the battery, near the inner fender. Right?

2. I haven't deceided what I am going to buy yet. I am thinking short would be easier to install/maintain, and yes there is a very slight fear of water ingestion. I realize a bypass valve will reduce the risk on a CAI.
Besides that... I haven't seen any factual information comparing short vs. long on a Spec V. Some say that they noticed no difference in power when they switched from long to short, others say that WAI don't make as much power. Who's right? I would imagine that a CAI makes more power, in theory it makes a lot of sense...but how much more? Are we comparing 3.5WHP from a CAI vs. 2.8WHP from a WAI. I am really not worried about 1HP. I bought this car for transportation, not racing. However, I would like to complete the basic upgrades to give the car a little more pep.

Don't get me wrong. I am not opposed to a CAI, I am just reasearching my options.

Anybody have direct comparisions between a WAI vs. CAI on a basically stock Spec V?
I don't want this to turn into one of those "which ones better" threads, just curious if it has been dyno'd on our car.

Thanks.

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
NPM has dynoed the Spec V with a CAI...I will check for a dyno on a WAI. Neither by themselves are going to give huge gains, and butt dynos are not going to be able to tell the difference.

As far as water, hydrolock is hard. It is near impossibly unless you prettymuch drive in a swap. If your car is exposed to enough water to hydrolock, you would have damaged other engine parts by the amount of water already. I reccomend a CAI. The sound is better, costs about the same, the gains are better (this is a fact although I havent a dyno sheet to show you the exact gains), and maintenence on both are easy as pie. Getting to the filter on a CAI can be a PITA, but you do not need to do it often at all.

·
What is Seven Ten for?
2,917 Posts
NickZac said:
dayum! someone got a really good price! people seem to prefer aem because it is widespread and many people are fimaliar with it. obviously, the hotshot and nismo are just as good (IMO HotShot is the best).
yeah, thats why the BIN was hit. damn thats dirt cheap.

another reason to do the WAi over the CAI, its a tad easier to install.

·