·
Registered
411 Posts
No they are not.

·
Registered
755 Posts
No they are not.
i forget, have you ever replaced your Xtrail shocks? or any bushings?
= There was a time a few years ago that i inquired about that on here for my own truck. When i looked online for just the possible options and prices for poly bushings i think i gave up when i discovered it may cost from $150-400 just for bushings and who knows whatever the labour $$ and any hidden worn out issues related that may need to be addressed.
I ''think'' my shocks are okay. I'm not bottoming out or bouncing/crashing over potholes and expansion joints.
But i bought my truck used in 2015 with over 200,000 klms and i only know the ride from that seat of the pants experience. Sometimes i wonder if i did spend $500-800 on newer suspension ( front shocks and/or bushings) i'd exp a whole new and improved ride and handling....or better to not spend a dime unless it's absolutely necessary on a vehicle built in 2006......what's your opinion?

·
Registered
411 Posts
i forget, have you ever replaced your Xtrail shocks? or any bushings?
= There was a time a few years ago that i inquired about that on here for my own truck. When i looked online for just the possible options and prices for poly bushings i think i gave up when i discovered it may cost from $150-400 just for bushings and who knows whatever the labour $$ and any hidden worn out issues related that may need to be addressed.
I ''think'' my shocks are okay. I'm not bottoming out or bouncing/crashing over potholes and expansion joints.
But i bought my truck used in 2015 with over 200,000 klms and i only know the ride from that seat of the pants experience. Sometimes i wonder if i did spend $500-800 on newer suspension ( front shocks and/or bushings) i'd exp a whole new and improved ride and handling....or better to not spend a dime unless it's absolutely necessary on a vehicle built in 2006......what's your opinion?
I've replaced all four struts with KYB. They were visibly leaking. The difference in ride quality and handling is astounding. They do tire with age and get lazy. Replacement is very easy, especially the rear ones. The strut mounts etc. were in fine condition.

Reactions: tonyvancity

·
Registered
755 Posts
I've replaced all four struts with KYB. They were visibly leaking. The difference in ride quality and handling is astounding. They do tire with age and get lazy. Replacement is very easy, especially the rear ones. The strut mounts etc. were in fine condition.
Can i ask how much you paid for all 4 struts installed ? pre tax....dunno if you know, but here in BC we all getting a covid relief cheque from the BC govt.
I applied last week and my $500 cheque was deposited into my account 2 days ago.
Maybe i put that money towards new Xtrail struts.....or partial payment. I work in autoglass shop that shares space with a Minitune, the owner mechanic gives me shop parts and service discounts...

·
Registered
755 Posts
Wrench Monkey has the KYB struts for my Xtrail at a sale price of about $134 each. I may ask my mechanic associate what my price thru him would be per kyb strut.
If he too much, i can ask him if we order from Wrench monkey and have the 4 struts delivered to our workplace and i pay him plus an agreeable labour.
Maybe since i work the next bay over, i can help him and know the labour price down a bit.

TDOT Performance.ca asking $166.27 per KYB strut.
CND Tire asking for $207 each Monroe strut
I could call Lordco autoparts here in Vancouver after the xmas break and see if they carry the KYB strut ( and the discount!).
--other then small independent garages, not sure who to call for either to just supply me or supply and install. But i ask Dave at Minitune and see if he give me a fair parts and labour deal. If i'm getting hosed , then i just live with the shape my existing struts are at currently. ;)

·
Registered
411 Posts
I bought the front 2 from the monkey $134 CND and the rear 2 from rockauto pre-covid and picked them up in the USA. $85 CND each.. I installed them myself. I'd say 2 to 3 hours at a shop with a hoist and good spring compressor.

·
Registered
755 Posts
thanks...im on the rockauto site now and i see the KYBs for $85 CND....but wasnt somebody complaining very recently that rockauto now sucks for canadian orders?
Something about the shipping is overinflated ? And if i get from rockauto, do you think i'd get slapped with fed govt duties?
--
KYB 335603 {#54303EQ000} GR-2 / Excel-G (Rebate/Promotion Available!)
Sale!
Info
Front Left...$85
----if i can get a good price on these kyb struts here in Vancouver, i will just pay the mechanic to do the front two struts. Hopefully he does not find other suspension related parts that are past their prime and it gets crazy. Already as is, i don't mind doing the struts IF needed, but in general i do not want to sink any more money into a near 16 year old vehicle. ( unless it's a safety or mechanical issue and i need my vehicle to commute. If i ever get to the point i get a $2500-3000plus repair bill, probably sell as is and put money towards buying a used toyota matrix. Save up and buy another 10-11 year old japanese suv such as the Outlander or Rav4, Forester...https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/nissan,2006,x-trail,2.5l+l4,1434432,suspension,strut,7584

·
Registered
755 Posts
Napa wants your Soul for a right front KYB strut .
ONLINE PRICE (CAD):
$264.93 /Each
i recall now why i ignore them all these years......$$$$$$$.....and their online parts and service counter is subpar. ( was chatting about how sucky napa is for the minitune shop owner of over 35 years. He refuses to deal with them.)

·
Registered
411 Posts
Put all the struts in your rockauto cart, add your shipping info and shipping and taxes will be calculated. They prepay all duties etc. so the price is an all in price. If it's too much just delete the cart. Even if you don't delete it they won't send you annoying emails saying you left items in your cart, do you want to finish the transaction. I hate websites that do that. I feel like it's an invasion of privacy.

I just bought TPMS sensors from them for our 640i snow tires and the price all in was much cheaper than anything in Canada. Plus they arrived in 5 days.

P.S. I have a 2006 Pontiac Vibe 5 speed (Matrix) for sale in Golden, BC. Available in the spring if you're interested.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Put all the struts in your rockauto cart, add your shipping info and shipping and taxes will be calculated. They prepay all duties etc. so the price is an all in price. If it's too much just delete the cart. Even if you don't delete it they won't send you annoying emails saying you left items in your cart, do you want to finish the transaction. I hate websites that do that. I feel like it's an invasion of privacy.

I just bought TPMS sensors from them for our 640i snow tires and the price all in was much cheaper than anything in Canada. Plus they arrived in 5 days.

P.S. I have a 2006 Pontiac Vibe 5 speed (Matrix) for sale in Golden, BC. Available in the spring if you're interested.
i was actually going to do the rockauto Cart thing, but kept getting interrupted by phone calls/people / the Husky that i got distracted. So i give it another try.
-- thanks for the info and the heads up on your Matrix, but i think if i do decide to get another Matrix i go closer to a 2008 or maybe a 09. The 08 , similar to the 04 my brother owns, has better rear visibility due to the larger rear 1/4 glasses. But i think if i do search one out it be local-closer to Vancouver and i can get my mechanic guy in Coquitlam to do a inspection /etc.
-- People reallly love their Matrixes/Vibes and cling onto them long term. So you either find one in good shape with not too high mileage for top dollar...or you see one for sale with high mileage/beat to crap/accident-rebuilds...and still think it deserves top dollar.
-- Did you read in our BC News that ICBC will be knocking off an average of $400 for all BC insurers? i think that is fantastic. Currently paying $1600 with a 43% safe driver's discount.
--when i eventually move outta metro Vancouver and to the Okanagan , my car insurance is $700 baseline cheaper to start with!! ...and regular gasoline is from 15 cents to 25 cents per liter cheaper there then Vancouver area. Giddyup.

·
Registered
755 Posts
so did the Rockauto cart thingy and would be $93.86 for shipping, $13.15 for taxes= two KYB struts delivered =
TotalCAD$276.34
hmmmm....Minitune closed for the xmas break, need to ask how much to install. If he gives me a nice discount and charges me $100 cash i think i go for it. Hopefully no other related suspension parts and services needed. Otherwise i go in full tightwad lockdown mode and say no thanks!

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,163 Posts
Just to share something I learned with Rock Auto, it sometimes pays to experiment with breaking your order into smaller ones and hitting the sweet spot for delivery in terms of package size and weight.
In this case, if you ship them separately, shipping by FedEx for each KYB strut to my place is only 23.16 for the rear right, and for some reason 20.59 for the rear left, Whereas if I put both in the same order it costs $87.53 by FedEx for the same arrival date as the split order. So basically you can save half the shipping cost.
I did this for a brake order for the Subaru and split my order into 3 parts ( 2 rear rotors, 1 front rotor, and brake pad set, and 1 front rotor and rear pad set and it saved me over $100 in shipping.

I found doing this lets you take advantage of their pricing and selection. Frankly, I think they are the best.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Same deal will apply if you order front ones. I just clicked on the rear ones for my experiment. Hope it saves you some bucks. ;)
Excellent advice, thanks so much. The $93 shipping for two struts in one package to Vancouver seemed way too excessive for me. I will do as you suggest, but i also need to return to work and chat with the Minitune mechanic/owner if he willing to install the kyb struts and how much for labour. But even before doing that, if slow day for him , i think best to put my truck up on the hoist and visually inspect if i might need strut braces /mounts.....if the parts quickly available. I don't want to get stuck part way thru an
install and hear i need parts that are a day or week away!
Thanks again !

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,163 Posts
When I did the front ones on mine I replaced the top strut mounts and the boots with KYB parts as well. The rears I reused the exiting mounts and ordered boots from Febest. For fronts, I used KYB SB104. The rear are harder to find and quite pricey if even available from Nissan. I bought them from PartSouq. You might find some on eBay.
Springs were fine so I reused them as well as other bits.
The rear ones are pretty simple to do yourself if you are so inclined. The front requires you to undo the front cowling to get at the rear strut mount bolt. Bit harder job, but still quite doable.
Worth it though. You will notice the difference in the ride in a nice way.

·
Registered
755 Posts
When I did the front ones on mine I replaced the top strut mounts and the boots with KYB parts as well. The rears I reused the exiting mounts and ordered boots from Febest. For fronts, I used KYB SB104. The rear are harder to find and quite pricey if even available from Nissan. I bought them from PartSouq. You might find some on eBay.
Springs were fine so I reused them as well as other bits.
The rear ones are pretty simple to do yourself if you are so inclined. The front requires you to undo the front cowling to get at the rear strut mount bolt. Bit harder job, but still quite doable.
Worth it though. You will notice the difference in the ride in a nice way.
Thanks, i was back at work today and chatted with the mechanic. He agreed it will be cheaper if i get the struts from Rockauto or other american source.
  • I'm hoping i do not need strut mounts and boots. But once the Xtrail is up on the hoist , i get him to pre-inspect Before i decide to order the new struts. Maybe the mechanic can see if excessive rust on the old mounts or the boots are past their prime.
  • I'm trying to keep my costs down. He did say that each strut replacement would be about one hour labour per side. He is pretty good with giving me shop discounts. The rear struts i leave alone for now. He can inspect them if he has time, but i will not be shelling out the money for new rear struts . Just too much money for all four at once.

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,163 Posts
I did them separately, fronts one summer, and then rears the following year. Both made noticeable improvements in the Xs handling. The only reason to replace the boots is if they have split. All of mine did with age. The KYB boots were a lot cheaper and worked in front, but I never found their equivalent for the rears. They list them in their catalog in Europe but they are not available here in North America.
If you are doing the fronts though, I would and did bite the bullet and buy new top mounts.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I did them separately, fronts one summer, and then rears the following year. Both made noticeable improvements in the Xs handling. The only reason to replace the boots is if they have split. All of mine did with age. The KYB boots were a lot cheaper and worked in front, but I never found their equivalent for the rears. They list them in their catalog in Europe but they are not available here in North America.
If you are doing the fronts though, I would and did bite the bullet and buy new top mounts.
I see that Wrenchmonkey has a Moog brand strut mount for $68.74 each. I could get the KYB struts from Rockauto and the struts mounts from Wrench monkey (if needed). Moog K90655 Suspension Strut Mount | TheWrenchMonkey Canada ....i have not done the math yet, but maybe i better off with ordering wrenchmonkey's $133.76 KYB struts because >>> '' FREE Shipping in Canada Over $99 ~ No Customs, No Duties, No Hassles. ;;
  • A lot of online shopping orders are being overwhelmed with the covid pandemic and stating at checkout that to expect longer then normal shipping to home.
  • another issue is the potential hassle and wait time to ship back parts to rockauto if wrong/un needed/ damaged. Wrench monkey so far seems to be the cheapest in Canada for the kyb struts. I have done an online search for local autoparts stores in the metro Vancouver area and they all are much more expensive then either Wrench or Rock Auto.
  • any thoughts? thanks !

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,163 Posts
Personally, I will never order from WrenchMonkey again. Using the example of the struts, they are almost $50 more each and you can ship each for less than 25 from RA, not including the easily obtained 5% discount.
I only ordered from WM once this past spring and they were slow to ship and worse communicators. I never got a shipping confirmation or a tracking number. I gave them a chance because they are Canadian, but they pissed me off so much I will never do business with them again.
Again just checked RA for you, one KYB strut mount including tax and shipping will cost $50.34. Why would you pay 30% more for the Moog from WM?
And if you want to go cheaper RA has a Gabriel strut mount option that with tax shipping and 5% discount will cost $27 each shipped to your door.

Re wrong part delivery. I have used RA for over 5 years now and ordered everything from cabin filters, to wiper blades, to sensors, cv axles, brake parts... and once was delivered a wrong part a few years ago. Set of brake pads. They had me take a picture of them, refunded me, and told me to throw the wrong ones in the garbage. Best of luck to you if you have a problem with WrenchMonkey. Most of my orders from RA are shipped by FedEx, Wrench Monkey uses Canada Post.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts