Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got home from this happening....I'd been out to a mall, the car was driving fine, shifting normally and everything. But when I left, the engine would do nothing but rev up. It will not shift into 2nd gear! I need serious help quick, cause I use this to get to school. Is it just the transmission fluid/filter? The thing hasn't been serviced for years and I'm figuring that's the problem...

·
Destroyer of worlds.
874 Posts
you could try changing the oil(ATF) but it may not fix the problem.

run out to walmart and get about 10 quarts of Supertech Dexron III/Mercon ATF.

1. jack your car up
2. locate the transmission
3. locate transmission drain plug
4. remove plug and drain fluid
5. replace plug
6. fill tranny to "full" mark on dipstick
7. turn car on and shift through all the gears.
8. repeat steps 1 through 7. this is because about half the fluid is stuck in the torque converter and cannot drain. this will let you replace most of the old fluid. you could repeat the process until only clean ATF comes out if you wanted, but then you'd have a lot of used ATF on your hands.

if the condition improves or is cured then it was simply worn out oil...if the condition does not improve you have bigger problems.

·
TwiztidKidd
807 Posts
Check the governor (search for "governor") there's a few threads that'll tell you how to find it and replace it including pictures. It's worth inspecting it at least if it doesn't need replacement. Also if the trans fluid smells like burnt and/or it's not deep red anymore replace it. Umm... also check the link on the shifter cable which runs from your shifter console to the trans, make sure it engages correctly. Something wrong with the overdrive ? (if the car has overdrive)

·
TwiztidKidd
807 Posts
Oh and if you find the governor gear striped replace it with a plastic one like it was originally (it's made out of plastic just so this wears out first and protects other trans parts that are not easy to replace... takes one for the team lol). Don't put a brass (metal) one like someone else suggested or else the next problem with the trans is not going to be that simple.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, well we changed the tranny fluid, and nothing...and the mechanic that we talked to (didn't pay, he's a friend of the family) drove it, said the 2nd gear clutch is probably gone...which means I'll have to have the entire tranny rebuilt. I live in the DFW area of Texas, and need to know of any places that can rebuild or has rebuilt '92 sentra trannys, and/or estimated prices.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts