Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After looking at the dyno charts I'm thinking that 6500 RPM seems to be the point for the most horsepower, for a slightly modified GA16. But does that mean that it is the best place to shift??

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
I always found that around 5K was where optimal shifting was for my '93 XE but I only had a CAI. The way I look at it, if the car doesn't feel like it's pulling anymore, then you're not making any more power, so it's time to shift. Now in my SE-R it's closer to 6K or more, it seems to pull all the way to redline.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah i'm thinking the same as james. i can feel the lose of power right after 6500, but i wasn't too sure if i shifted there that it would put my next gear in a good place.

·
VVL'd
133 Posts
Because it is.
"The VTC likes to advance the cam at over 6600 rpm for some reason, perhaps to create a drop in power to encourage the driver to shift sooner. " - Engine Modifications by Mike Kojima

But like James said, shift as close to redline as you can. So going into the next gear, it is in the optimal rpm range.

·
Cone Dodger
3,093 Posts
just to add: "vtc kicks in at about 1500 rpms, and stays on until 6500 as verified in status request indicated in nissan's consult 2 factory scan tool".........then valve cuts off and retards intake cam...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All the way to the redline. Thanks for your help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts