Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so anyone taken off their shift nob on a 02 to 04 frontier 5 speed? mine is getting worn out and is slippery. I tried unscrewing but to much tension and the shifter rod started to move. Is it glued on or just really on there?

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
so anyone taken off their shift nob on a 02 to 04 frontier 5 speed? mine is getting worn out and is slippery. I tried unscrewing but to much tension and the shifter rod started to move. Is it glued on or just really on there?
I have not done this*, so don't take my word for it, but my '04 service manual shows the knob as being screwed on. It does have this caution:

CAUTION: To avoid damage when replacing shift knob, remove shift lever with knob, as assembled.

You may want to do a SEARCH. I believe I've read here before that some have used vice grips (with some kind of cushioning material to prevent scoring the shift lever) to hold the shift lever against turning while trying to turn the knob.

* -- I'd like to do this one day because I'd like to cut the shift lever and weld in an extension to get the knob a little higher and a little further back; then I should still be able to cover up my ugly welding with the stock shift boot. Someday I guess I'll get to it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks. I read that during my search to but i still can not find anyone who has done this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts