Nissan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that cold weather has set in the automatic shifter on my 98 Frontier refuses to shift until the interior temp.comes up to 70 or so.It may shift if you keep yanking on it but I don want to break it.The problem seems to go away or lessen when the temps outside are above 70 or so.It seems to be related to whatever mechanism locks the shifter until the brake is applied.Anything I can do to the lock mechanism to disable it to see what happens? I don really need it anyway.

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
6,375 Posts
Let's rephrase this. When the interior temperature is cold (below 70), are you able to move the shifter out of park and into drive with the brake pedal applied and the ignition switch in the on position? If no, then the locking solenoid in the shifter mechanism most likely has a problem. You can also check for 12V at the feed wire to the solenoid during attempted movement of the shift lever.

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
9,517 Posts
Sometimes the shift interlock actuator on the shifter gets gummed-up from previous spilled beverages and such, which would be worse in cold weather. In those cases, if you can remove the console to access it, often spraying electrical cleaner on it will remove the "sticky substance" and correct the issue. It wouldn't hurt to spray a little WD40 or silicone spray on it, afterwards.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts