Nissan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
RPM shifts

I have a 5 sp. and at 3k in first its around 15 mph (give or take a couple). Add 15 or so for every gear at 3k except for 5th which is a different. I'm at 3k in 5th at 70 mph. 2k at 45 mph. Its not much different with a 4 speed (had a 4 then switched to 5, had the tach for both). I really dont pay much attention to the other rpm for the other gears and speeds, those are just my two main travel speeds. Still, youre best bet is to just listen to the engine and get used to it like that. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well if it's a M/T...it's when you want ;) if it's an A/T Why would you need to know? It's automatic for a reason ;) sorry..Umm..i'll give it you in KM/H it's 11:10 P.M. and i've been out all day..and i'm way to lazy to convert :p..but it's around 25 in first, 45 in Second, 100 in third, and around 145 in fourth....That's for an A/T...i drive a stick so that's just guess at what i remember from driving an 88 ..can't be that much different...

-Tobin

·
Tha Sleepin' B12
175 Posts
On my 4spd. i feel around for it and it feels like this...(still in powerband)
1st-24mph
2nd-~50mph
3rd-72mph

And that's all pretty close to redline...I don't have a tach either so I can't tell you exactly. If you want normal, boring shifting, anything below those then...Hehe...have fun.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
shift where you have to. don't lug it, don't over rev it. For normal driving just nice quiet but above lugging. If you're racing (at a track;)) or getting on freeway quickly, then you'll have to get a feel for it. What everyone else posted works, but each car has it's on little personality and each driver is just a bit different.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
what is the redline for the GA16i anyway?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
was just asking because I may pickup a tach one of these days, wanted to know 6K or 8K rpm. thanks for the answer.

·
Registered
31 Posts
according to this picture of an 89 Pulsar NX XE with the Ga16i motor...

It's about 6200 RPM and goes to a maximum of 8 grand... ;) see i can be useful :thumbup:

-Tobin

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Thanks LOL

·
Registered
31 Posts
Cheers man. Now if someone would care to donate to the "It's saturday night and it's a storm outside so i'm boozin' it up in my house fund" PM for my address ;)

-Tobin

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
haha, e16i doesn't have fuel cut off....at least mine didn't. it saw somewheres past 8k twice..once on purpose second time on accident...ALWAYS PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT GEAR YOU'RE GOING INTO

< :dumbass:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was just saying that because I was going down the highway and wanted to see how far I could push it. I was going 55-60 mph in second and it was right at 7k and then it just quit. It waited for a couple of seconds until the rpm was down around 6300 and then started again. I know it sounds like it just hit off the powerband, but it seemed to take too long if it was that. I couldnt think of anything else, and I know some cars have gas cut offs. But that was under load. I have goten it up to 7500 rpm in neutral, but I have only done that like once. That was another reason as to why I thought it was a gas cut off. So my fault for the incorrect info.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well it dont matter now. my car broke down not even a mile from my girls house. reason, not sure but think a axle snaped or something happened to the diff. the car made a loud clicking noise around corners, and the car would vibrate. then the wheel would started to kick to the right a little, eventually, it would click even going stright. the problem was only half the time i drove the car so it seams weird. well when it broke i went to left it out of first, the car reved but didnt move, picked it up the next day and on the way home my dad said he wont fix it if its going to cost more than 400-500 bucks, and with labor rates for machanics around here, about 90 an hour, im screwed. now im getting kicked down with a gay shit brown bronco that runs like hell. time for me to get a job finally, and get me a mkiii supra or a 240sx or something.

R.I.P. 89 sentra w/ salvage title and 4 acidents under it belt (none of which anything was fixed and still looked like new, these things are tanks)

·
B12 Enthusiast
844 Posts
Sounds like you broke the outer CV joint. From your description of the constant clicking, and the car not moving now, i'd guess that is what let go.

You should be able to crawl under there and check that out fairly easy. If that is all it is, not a big deal. A rebuilt shaft will set you back about $60 with the core, and a mechanic should be able to replace it in about an hour. If your car is still in decent shape, it would be well worth fixing if that is all that it is IMO. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
well you're in luck i have the owners manual...

now this is the "recommended" shift points
tranny mph (km/h)
4-sp
gears
1st - 2nd 15 (25)
2nd - 3rd 25 (40)
3rd - 4th 40 (60)
@ high altitudes higher than 4000 ft
1st - 2nd 15 (25)
2nd - 3rd 35 (55)
3rd - 4th 50 (80)

5-sp
gears
1st - 2nd 15 (25)
2nd - 3rd 25 (40)
3rd - 4th 40 (60)
4th - 5th 45 (75)
@ high altitudes higher than 4000 ft
1st - 2nd 15 (25)
2nd - 3rd 35 (55)
3rd - 4th 50 (80)
4th - 5th 55 (90)

and these are pretty much the max each gear can go

mph (km/h)
gears
1st 15 (25)
2nd 50(85)
3rd 80 (130)
4th & 5th arren't listed in the book

but 4th can handle about 115(or so) if i can remember from personal experrience

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
hmm my first goes to 35 but to respond to the message about getting on it in second at 50mph already. idk what it is but i can bring my car up to about 40 in first if i get on it all the way through but if im hangin around 30mph for a second just for the heck of it then i try to get on it, it only gets up to around 35 and the fuel shut off kicks in sooo basically i used most of the fuel in the line being at such a high rpm for a while and the fuel cut off kicks in quicker that way

1 - 20 of 25 Posts