Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm aware they make stall converters for GA16 automatic transmissions at varying RPM limits, but what's a good company that makes them for an affordable price?

Also, do they make shift kits for the A/T that will shorten the gear ratios? If so, what's a good company that makes those and where can I contact them?

As for the gears, I find it annoying how I can rev to 5500 in first gear then have it drop back to 3000 when it shifts to second. What good is the damn powerband if you're never in it? :p

I know I should probably swap to manual but I figure I'd be different and explore A/T upgrading.

·
Banned
809 Posts
best thing to do honestly, is either sell ur car, or change tranny... cause A/t costs WAY more to upgrade, plus it will suck so much more gas mileage

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess you're right. I was thinking about going manual anyway but I wanted to make sure upgrading my A/T wasn't out of my cost effectiveness.

Are there any M/T internals that can be upgraded, while I'm at it?

·
in^3,N20,RPM,PSI
4,652 Posts
you know, I'm not telling you to do one or the other, i think they're both satisfactory options... I think if you have the auto, stick with the auto... if you're going to buy a new car just for the m/t, then get an se-r m/t... but if you're looking for 'cost effectiveness' then selling your present car to get another car that's exactly the same then fixing it up will cost you exactly the same amount as fixing up the car with the auto trans... that's just how I see it...

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well within reason. If it's a lot more expensive to do stuff to an A/T then an M/T, then I'll swap it out for an M/T. If it's not too unreasonable and I can do it, then I might explore doing A/T upgrades. Like you said, I figure if I have an A/T already, I might as well explore the idea of upgrading it if it's not rediculously more expensive, but if it is, swap to an M/T.

·
Sentra Flogger
108 Posts
hang on a sec...

statements about the *huge* difference in gas mileage between a manual and automatic are patently false. geez. get a grip. the difference is minimal and it's all in how you drive your car anyway.

underdog, as far as your automatic goes, there are plenty of options out there. don't let yourself be talked into thinking your car is worthless because it's an automatic. automatics have their merits and make excellent bracket racers to boot. in an auto, you never miss a shift and you sure as hell get consistent ETs at the track.

if you really want to do your homework, search for threads about this topic in the forums. i don't want to beat a dead horse, but i'll offer you a few arguments in favor of keeping your automatic.

the support is out there for automatics. you just gotta know where to look. level 10 makes every conceivable performance part for an automatic transmission, from torque converters to shift-tronic kits. for our cars, they offer a complete performance transmission system ($3,250) good for up to 600 hp and 500 lb-ft torque. paired with a torque converter ($500), it truly evens the scales against any stock manual driven sentra.

if you wanna look at the long-term cost of upgrading your auto vs. upgrading a manual tranny, it evens out over time. sure, the initial build-up of an automatic is more expensive, but those level 10 systems are a one-time deal and guaranteed "bulletproof." compare the cost to multiple manual transmission upgrades or just the cost of replacing performance clutches, flywheels, etc. if you ever go turbo, you'll be glad for the level 10 pts system...

even little things can make a big difference, too. try investing in a $50 transmission oil cooler or purchasing just the torque converter with an increased stall speed. according to dan oliver, it can make all the difference. it'll shave seconds off your ETs.

keep the faith, dude, and you can turn your "autotragic" into "automagic"...

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's the spirit. I know my A/T isn't worthless. Most drag cars are automatic for the reason you stated: never missing a shift. The only downside to an auto tranny is it's harder to autocross and road race (which I don't think i'll ever be good at anyway). I know the Sentra A/T is cursed with gears set as far apart as a football field and the two main things I was looking to do was increase my stall RPM and get the gear ratios closer together so I can stay in the powerband when I drag. I wanted to be different and be the only guy on my block with a heavily modded... what? Is that an auto tranny? Rock on.

Thanks for the Level 10 link. I've heard of them but never looked into their products.

Drive safe. :eek: Peace.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts