Nissan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope someone can help. I have a 1996 200sx se with a 5 speed. I want to put a different shift nob on the stock shifter for better looks. How do you get the original nob off? Mine looks as if it is permantly molded to the shift handle.

Thanks
96200sxman

·
Registered
170 Posts
This has been discussed numerous times...check out the search feature.

To answer your question now though...the stock knobs are usually glued on as well as being threaded. Get yourself a pair of vice-grips, and clamp down on the knob, then give it some muscle and turn. It'll break loose and spin off then. Be patient though, that way you'll do the least amount of damage to the stock knob. You can also cut the knob itself.

·
Registered
354 Posts
sorry, getting used to the site.

thanks for your help

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry didn't know it had been discussed before. New to the site. But thanks for you ideas.

·
Registered
170 Posts
cranium said:
sorry, getting used to the site.

thanks for your help
Anytime! Enjoy the site, lots of good info.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah, i just cut mine off, cuz that thing was NOT comin off by turning it was vise grips (I Mean it was turning.. but NOT coming off) :p

·
Registered
19 Posts
shane said:
This has been discussed numerous times...check out the search feature.

To answer your question now though...the stock knobs are usually glued on as well as being threaded. Get yourself a pair of vice-grips, and clamp down on the knob, then give it some muscle and turn. It'll break loose and spin off then. Be patient though, that way you'll do the least amount of damage to the stock knob. You can also cut the knob itself.
did you remove the entire shifter when you unscrewed the knob?

·
Registered
170 Posts
chongo said:
did you remove the entire shifter when you unscrewed the knob?
Nope, just wrapped a towel around the knob, clamped down on it with a vice grips, and twisted the crap out of it.

·
Paging Mr. Herman
1,042 Posts
:D

Mine pissed me off so much I had to go medieval on it. I grabbed my chef knife from my kitchen and sliced the sh!t out of it. I wouldn't recommend this method but it does highlight how frustrating the damn thing is.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The shift knobe is supposed to twist off but in some cases no matter what you use to twist the little bitch off it won't budge a bit....... I you can't twist it of either get a dremmel (and its messy) and chop the knob in half since your buying a new one. The second thing you can do is saw the knob near the base, but this second way will shorten your lever... Most guys don't mind to to much that the lever is shortend..... Third option is just to install a short shifter and put a new knob on that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i had to saw mine off too. i turned and turned but it was being a bitch. it only took like 5 mins to saw off. anyways i like the shorter lever better. my indiglo knob looks nice as hell :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts