Nissan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I get my car bac my antennae will be shaved. I found out from sum Audio guy that I can just get an aftermarket one and wire it to the radio and he said I can just throw it in the glove compartment.

He made it seem like it was no big deal but Im a little worried about not getting a good radio reception...

I mean no matter how many CDs I have sometimes I just want to turn on the radio especially when my girl or my mom are in the car...;)

WutDoUGuyzThink????

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I dont know if just throwing it in the glove box will work. But on my dads camry you cant see the antenna and the radio sounds really good. It might be good if there isnt anything interfering with the signal.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yo If U would have seen the expression on this guys face--he made it seem like it was no BIG DEAL at all.. He said as long as U have an antennae wired to the radio it doesnt matter where it is....

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Im not an expert. but why is it when you drive by a lot of trees to signal gets weak. Wouldnt that be even worse if its just sitting in the glove box.

Maybe you can do what all the new cars are doing and put one in the middle of your roof.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
G_Funk013 said:
Im not an expert. but why is it when you drive by a lot of trees to signal gets weak. Wouldnt that be even worse if its just sitting in the glove box.

Maybe you can do what all the new cars are doing and put one in the middle of your roof.
yeah but then that kinda defeats the whole purpose of shaving it eventhough I do like the whole idea of the roof antennae....

But DAMN its like Ill be paying twice the $$$ now--I paid an extra $40 to shave and fill and now to find an anteenae thats functional and looks goos on my roof is gonna take sum time and more $$...

·
Registered
170 Posts
This will take some more wiring, but I've heard it works well...you can relocate the antannae to the trunk, and basically mount it to the inside of your trunk lid. I've heard that this way still gives you good reception, but I've not tried it myself or heard it. It's worth a try though.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey..you should think of putting in an electric antenna...i got mine from an integra..it work great..great reception..and when i don't want the antenna popping up..just slap a cd in there or turn the radio off..just my 2 cents..

·
Registered
553 Posts
If you get one of those European style roof/topof rear window antenna, you would get better reception. Ideally you want that antenna right smack in the middle of your roof, because you want a large, flat plane as high as possible, to help boost the antenna's reception. The problem with the way the antenna are located on cars getting bad reception next to trees is due to the manufacturer not giving the antenna a flat plane to work with. This is why you'll see those guys with the huge antenna stick 10 ft. in the air in the middle of the roof.

When I worked at Radio Shack I had a couple regular customers try and relocate their antenna for the same reason as you, and they were not happy with the reception they got after that. I've been wanting to go with the Euro-style antenna, and have my stock one shaved like you, but just never had the money to do it.

BTW, you can go to almost and electronics store and buy an antenna wire extension and that Euro-style antenna for relatively cheap. Radio Shack doesn't sell car audio parts anymore (wasn't enough money in the business anymore after places like Car Toys popping up), but I'm sure somewhere like Circuit City or Car Toys will have what you need. This is a job you can do yourself if you have the time, or it shouldn't cost too much to have them install this for you. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shane --your trunk idea sounds good and clean. I think Im gonna mention it to a audio shop and see wut they say to have this done right...

nismo--I can go electric but like I said my antennae is already shaved and the hole is filled so this is not really an option.....

dono--I am sort of considering doing the roof thing but I want it to look like a nice German Ride where the antennae is kinda set at an angle back on the end of the roof.. Oh and is that all Radio Shacks or just yours that stop selling car stuff??

I know I would just spend so much time trying to find the perfect antennae.....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
You can get an antenna off of ebay. Just search for roof antenna. But those might have to high of an angle.

·
Registered
553 Posts
MP2050 said:
dono--I am sort of considering doing the roof thing but I want it to look like a nice German Ride where the antennae is kinda set at an angle back on the end of the roof.. Oh and is that all Radio Shacks or just yours that stop selling car stuff??
It should still give you good reception up there. The two main keys are to get it up as high as possible, and to get as much surface area around/under it. BTW, I'll probably put mine in the back like the German's also.

As far as I know, it is all Radio Shack's. After all these chains started popping up, Radio shack didn't make enough money to pull a good enough profit off of the car audio, so they scrapped it. Like I said, someone like Car Toys or Circuit City should be able to help you out.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Seth, are you referring to the type seen on the BMW 7 series? I like those; the look clean and don't give the the impression of a large radio controlled car.

·
Banned
126 Posts
The first mod I did to my car was take the antena off ;)

I live in the mountains and WHEN i get reception, the radio stations suck anyway... I thought the antena looked Ghey so I took it off and put it under the carpet in my trunk.
HOW MUCH IS IT TO GET IT SHAVED, AND PAINTED????
THANKS

·
I command you to SEARCH
2,748 Posts
Did someone say shaved? :D

Well, I NEVER listen to the radio, so I just had mine removed :D

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
G funk and dono--I think if anything Ill check out ebay and then Ill see about the audio shops and see wut I come up with....

seth and aphex Im not too sure about wut U guys are talking about so try and post a pic--if its a 7 series IM sure it must loook good....

Platinum--So U just ran the wire to the trunk and put under the carpet--I know U in the Mts. but do U get any receptiuon at all???

Oh and body shop charged me another $45 to shave and fill....

1CLN---DAMN when did U get Black rims man--I thought that would be the one thing I have over you (lol)...and I just cant believe that is your stock white it seems so NEW and even wet!!!!

Im beginning to think maybe I should have got my window panels done in white too--I just thought the black would give it a nice contrast to the white BUT I like how yours came out....

·
Registered
553 Posts
MP2050 said:
G funk and dono--I think if anything Ill check out ebay and then Ill see about the audio shops and see wut I come up with....
Whatever works dude! i've got an ebay filter on my car, so... I just suggested someone reputable so that I know you'll be taken care of. You have any pics of the shaved fender?

·
Banned
126 Posts
nah, I never re-ran any of the wires... I JUST DONT HAVE RADIO AT ALL... Don't bother me any though, all we get is country...
I will get mine shaved by this friday and post pics...
thanks

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Pics soon to come...I got no Digi-Cam...

Oh BTW I took pics with a reg. camera --wuts the process to get them online--is there a way to....

1 - 20 of 61 Posts