Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has 145000 and about 3 months ago it started making a knocking sound on start up and last for about 1 or 2 seconds. It started getting louder and then this morning it didn't go away. It is very loud. I replaced the upper timing chain tensioner at around 135000 miles. I took the valve cover off and the chain was tight and the tensioner looked great. I also noticed that when I start it up now, it smokes out of the tail pipe really bad. Is my engine screwed or do I have a valve problem. I depend on this car for my job, please help.

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,214 Posts
If it has a loud metallic sound to it rather then a ticking sound, then it's most likely a bad rod bearing. You can determine which cylinder it is by pulling one plug wire at a time while it's idling; when the noise decreases significantly, that's your bad bearing.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took it to a shop this morning. Bad rod bearings is what they told me was the problem. Time for a new engine.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,236 Posts
I think that's the first time i have read a post reporting bad rod bearings for a GA, SR yes, GA no. Very unusual, do you know if it had a cause ?
Can you check your Oil pressure and or pump for failure ?

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Did it run out of Oil if its started smoking ?

·
Registered
20 Posts
same thing with my car it burns oil! but there is no rattling sound only smoke coming out from the tail pipe. and when i open the oil cap smokes coming out too! i checked the spark plug wires and one of them ( next to distributor ) have oil..

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It hasn't run out of oil ever as far as I know. I talked to my friend who says it sounds like a burned or bad valve knocking around. I'm not sure anymore whether the shop I took it to can be trusted. When it comes to noises like that I don't know what to do aside from tearing the engine down. It took the guy 45 seconds at the shop to tell me it was rod bearing failure. I assumed he knew what he was talking about. Now that you tell me it is rare for this failure I am somewhat confused on what to do next. Thank you for the replies.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Why don't you try isolating the cylinder, as suggested above, remove the plug wires one at a time, i suggest inserting any old plug and ground the plug with a piece of wire wrapped around it.
move from cylinder to cylinder.
I thought i knew what rod bearings sound like, i blew enough of them on my old English cars.
Sons Supra spun a rod bearing, different sound !!!
Idled quietly, only hammered when opened the throttle, and not that loud ( the car is very noisy anyway !!)
My Old English cars all had wear related rod knock, they would knock on idle and get louder on load, but could be clearly be heard at idle. This would start very faint under light load and over several thousand miles get louder till it was obviously going no further.
Never spun a bearing though !!

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
same thing with my car it burns oil! but there is no rattling sound only smoke coming out from the tail pipe. and when i open the oil cap smokes coming out too! i checked the spark plug wires and one of them ( next to distributor ) have oil..
The Oil in the spark plug tube is the seals.

If its a GA its worth replacing the small squarish seal under the valve cover but it sounds like your rings are worn out. How many miles ?

·
Registered
20 Posts
141000 miles... its started after a couple of weeks when i replace my front seal, so its sounds like there is a new problem with my car? there is a plastic underneath the valve cover not sure if i can take that thing out...
one more question and i know this is dumb, is the 1995 base model have a ABS?

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
No, the base model did not have ABS.
Very few of these B14 cars were made with ABS, I didn't even see any ABS equipped B14 Cars on the Lot when we brought our 97's in March and August 97.
If you don't like the plastic valve cover you can use the earlier Metal one from 91 -94 cars.
Sorry never took mine off so cant help further.

·
Registered
313 Posts
No biggie these engines seem to be fairly cheap and plentiful in the Bone yard if the body is good go ahead and replace both the tyranny and engine for a song! If you can do the work that is??

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why don't you try isolating the cylinder, as suggested above, remove the plug wires one at a time, i suggest inserting any old plug and ground the plug with a piece of wire wrapped around it.
move from cylinder to cylinder.
I thought i knew what rod bearings sound like, i blew enough of them on my old English cars.
Sons Supra spun a rod bearing, different sound !!!
Idled quietly, only hammered when opened the throttle, and not that loud ( the car is very noisy anyway !!)
My Old English cars all had wear related rod knock, they would knock on idle and get louder on load, but could be clearly be heard at idle. This would start very faint under light load and over several thousand miles get louder till it was obviously going no further.
Never spun a bearing though !!
I pulled each plug one at a time and no matter what it still made the very loud knock.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Then you either have had a major Oil failure and all the rod bearings are bad, or its another problem.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
At this point i don't think it will be easy to diagnose form a distance.
I suggest you get a video camera and record the sound and post a link so we can listen....

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looking at that guys pistons, I am afraid to find out what is REALLY wrong. lol. I might focus my energy and money on my se-r tranny issue. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
117 Posts
About the knocking it started to happen to my 90 nissan and i know it was a rod and then about 5 min later the #3 rod came out to say hi and i was just drivein normal bout 20mph @1800rpm so ya anyone know were to geta ka for cheap!!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts