Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to service my engine soon, but I dont want to pay 150-300 dollars just for them to check my engine to see if its running good. Can I service my engine myself? What things do I have to do? My car is running good. And should I go ahead and change my oil? I dont know when the last time the oil was changed. If you guys could help.

·
Proud owner of a GA16i
508 Posts
isn't a full engine service mostly a fluid replacement with a multi point inspection? Lets see, change all fluids (engine oil, tranny oil, radiator fluid, AC refrigerant, possibly brake fluid), check and/or replace belts, battery, filters (air and gas), spark plugs, plug wires, cap n rotor, O2 sensors, grounds, hmm, did I miss anything?

So the list looks like this for a DIY full engine service.

·
Registered
217 Posts
yeah go ahead and change your oil. a good rule of thumb... if you can't remember when it was last done.... it's probably overdue.

when you say service your engine soon, are you talking about the little orange light in the instrument panel? if so, then that's a totally different story.

·
Proud owner of a GA16i
508 Posts
wow, you have an oil change sticker? I generally keep track of maintenance stuff in a log book I keep in the car. And, yeah, change your oil.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Yes, change the oil and keep a log. Nissan recommendation is 3,750 for severe service on my Sentra. I stick with 3,000 mile changes. It is only about 3.5 quarts of oil anyway. That oil works very hard at high RPM's.

Do you have service records from the previous owner? In general, new NGK plugs every 30,000 miles. Air filter 30,000 miles are sooner. I have been replacing my cap and rotor every 30,000 miles on my car, but may go longer next time. Clean the throttle body/throttle plate. Fuel filter every 30,000 miles on my car. I have been changing PCV valve every 30,000, but may go longer or just clean it next time. Never heard of changing the AC refrigerant, unless he means recharging. I generally do nothing to the AC unless it leaks/does not work. Change coolant every 30,000 miles, maybe sooner. The old saying is "Oil and air are the life of the car". I also clean and adjust the rear drum brakes every 30,000 miles. Will help the front pads last longer, and the rear shoes also. Check for ripped CV boots, and the front main seal for leaks. If you do the oil changes on a regular basis, it will be a good time to check these things. Follow the schedule in your owner's manual for maintenance or your car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts