Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All right time for me to prove how little I know again. I took a recent trip to Florida and everything went well all the way down there (From Virginia approx. 900 miles give or take). Then on the way back up here the Service Engine Soon light popped on. The engine sounded it's normal loud self (I have a blown flex hose on the exhaust). Now this is the 2nd time it's happened the first time it happened it was after an oil change so I took it back to the shop my brother hooked the code reader to it and it threw a blank dummy code. So he reset the computer and I went on m marry way. I don't remember what code it threw that time but I was worried a bit this time being 800 miles away and knowing noone out there. So I kept driving. Well after a few hundred miles the Service Engine Soon light went out and hasn't been on since then (That was yesterday). Does anyone know what could possibly be causing this and what to do about it? The only thing I can think of is possibly the injector cleaner I used but I had run SEVERAL tanks of gas through it before the light cam on and I don't remember if I had used it anytime close to when my bro did the oil change. Any ideas or hints would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Quick add on here for anyone thinking it could be caused by the recall I researched my model and no recalls have been made on it yet.

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
You need to get the crank sensor recall done ASAP, and what cleaner was it?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But according to Nissan my car isn't part of the recall. I'm clear of ALL recalls right now according to the site. I'll call them tommorrow and see if a human says different. As for the cleaner I used the Outlaw cleaner sometime before my bro changed the oil and I used the crap I don't remember what brand it was it was a gold bottle that was cleaner and 0-60 octane boost in one bottle that was the one I used before the trip to Florida from Virginia (900 miles in one night Blech) But it didn't start giving me the ervice Engine light until after I had put a good 3 or 4 tanks through it. The engine never died coughed or sputtered though. The only thing I noticed that the ngine does different anytime in the past few months is when I start it it'll idle around 1.5K RPM and slowly drop down to about 500 RPM and I figured that was just due to cold and the car running at the higher RPM to warm up quicker at idle. Am I wrong in guessing that?

·
F.I. Section Whore
896 Posts
Have you messed around in the engine bay lately?

One time I had cleaned my throttle body and I had disconnected several wire harnesses... after I had finished cleaning, I put everything together and started the car. The CEL lit up, I popped open the hood, and noticed that I forgot to plug the MAF wire harness into the MAF sensor. I plugged that back in and after a couple driving cycles the ECU reset and the CEL went off.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Already checked the engine bay nothing unusual there that I could see. The other thing that baffles me is it mysteriously popped on then after a few hundred miles went back off again. So I didn't even get a chance to pull the code it threw.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hey, i have a 2002 GXE and the engine light goes on and off all the time. It usually because i havent changed the oil for a while or ive been using crappy gas. try putting one of those gas treatment things in there, that seems to help get rid of it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I almost always use the exact same gas. (Obviously couldn't on a road trip that far) I fill up at racetrac almost every time. Though the oil change is a bit overdue being that it was a bit unexpected trip. But last time it came on it was right AFTER the oil change. And I mean IMMEDIATELY after.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update on the Engine light. The first one was a dummy/blank code unknown why it was thrown. The second one was vaccum code. Unknown why it was thrown then cleared by the computer. Anyone with an idea?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts