Nissan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the situation: 91 300zxTT, 118k miles, runs pretty good. This last month it has lost a lot of performance. It seems like everyday it keeps loosing more and more torque. finally this last week it felt like i was running on 3 cylinders, my car was shaking like crazy. Did the normal tune up stuff, new plugs, checked the air filter, etc. with the new plugs it did nothing different. After that, i started checking all the electrical harnesses and found them to all be pretty crappy. With no money (or time) to get new harnesses i got a tube of dielectric grease and smothered the crap out of every connection i could find (MAS, CAS, TPS, coil harnesses, everything. After that i filled up the tank with premium and some injector cleaner and it ran like a champ! Better than when i first got it. The next day on the drive to work i noticed a little bit of a high idle after first starting it and a little bit of a mis-fire, nothing too bad though. After work i went to start it and it started fine, idled a little high and then died after about 10 seconds. I checked all the connections to make sure everything was still connected properly, tried cranking it a few times and still nothing. I then tried starting it at wide-open throttle and the car started (barely). It still wanted to die so i kept my foot on the peddle to keep it at about 2000rpm until it was warmed up. Then i drove it on the freeway for a while and it was fine. I then stopped to get gas and it wouldn't start. I got the car towed ($70) this morning to my house and am waiting to get off work to go check it out. I have a factory service manual that i have been reading up on so i'm pretty sure what i need to check out but any suggestions would be cool... Thanks guys!

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is exactly the same problem i had with on of my older cars (a DSM), the problem in my case was that coolant was spraying all over my ignition system screwing up the idle, then drowning the car, check the areas around the coil etc... make sure none of the ignition system is wet all that good stuff, also check to see what the plugs are firing at with a voltimete. im not sure what the exact amount should be but it should say in the manual.

But im just an amateur so i may be completely wrong

·
ZPOOLNZ
1,609 Posts
Check your turbos your right around the mileage that they die. Also the alternator might be dead. And check timing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts