Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok heres the deal.....i bought a 92 sentra se-r cluster to put in my 92 sentra xe.....someone told me to use this one set of directions they found online and i tried them and it diddnt work....and now i have all of the wires out of the plugs and i dont know what to hook to what does anyone know a set of directions that will tell me step by step what to do or a wiring diagram that will work?? cause im pretty fu*ked right now....i dont even know how much gas i have

·
Registered
136 Posts
Even if you get the wiring figured out the speedo and tach will not even be close to correct. The SE-R speedo and tach are calibrated differently than the 1.6. you need a cluster out of a SE or GXE with tach not the SE-R unless of course you have swapped in the SR20DE.

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
These instructions should help, I pm'd you about them awhile back.

http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/september99/tach.shtml

Mike has a good point. Although it is highly likely that everything in the cluster works the same, whether it's for an SR20DE tranny and ECU or a GA16DE tranny and ECU, the speedo and tach could work quite differently. With the tach I wouldn't worry too much, it's just that you'll hit your rev limiter before it ever gets close to the redline mark that's on the tach. However, considering the trannies are different, I'm not sure how your speedo will work.

The problem most people don't realize when they do this swap is that without wiring diagrams, getting it right is somewhat of a gamble. You need wiring diagrams for both clusters, because not only are there multiple wires of the same color in the cluster, some of them are in the same harness. And with the exception of the black wires, which are all grounds, other wires of the same color don't have the same function. A person could do it without any instructions if they labeled all the wires in their old harnesses before they pulled them out. The clusters have printed on them, what circuit does what, and if you tagged the wires before you pulled them out, you could assign them to their correct locations in the harnesses to get the tached cluster to work. I don't have the info I need to help you any further than what those instructions at the mag have though. If someone out there has a '92 FSM and can scan or photocopy pages from it and mail them to me then I could figure it out. Or, if you plan to keep your car very long and will do most of the work on it, then you need to find a '92 Sentra Factory Service Manual quick and then we can get you taken care of. PM or e-mail me if you want more help. I know another guy who's in the same boat as you, made the same mistake, but he's got his working for the most part, but he's got a FSM for his year '94, on order and is going to mail me photocopied pages so I can help him finish it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I can't say for certain because I'm out of town w/o my FSMs and fiche, but I'll bet money that the tach and speedo are exactly the same with exactly the same calibration (it makes financial sense). You can buy a new gauge face from your Nissan dealer with the correct redline.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts