Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 73 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hmmm... I ran into this website SER Vs. Spec V

Read it. If you are deciding on whether to get a Spec V or SER take into consideration some of this guys points.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now my turn to say whether you should get a spec V or SER.

SER

Engine: 2.5-liter DOHC 16-valve 4-cylinder
Front engine/front-wheel drive
Valve Timing: Continously Variable Valve Timing Control
Variable Intake SystemPlatinum-tipped spark plugs
Free-Flow exhaust
*projected HP @6000 RPM - 165
*projected torq @4000 RPM - 175 lbs-ft
Power brakes
4 Wheel disc brakes
5-speed manual transmission
4-speed automatic transmission
Front: independent strut-type suspension
Rear: Multi-Link Beam suspension
Front and rear stabilizer bars
Sport-tuned suspension
Front strut tower brace
Power-assisted steering
Grey interior
16" Rims six-spoke

Spec V

Engine: 2.5-Liter DOHC 16-valve 4-cylinder
Front engine/front-wheel drive
*projected HP @6000 RPM - 175
*projected torq @4000 RPM - 180 lb-ft
Valve Timing: Continously Variable Valve Timing Control
Variable Intake SystemPlatinum-tipped spark plugs
Free-Flow exhaust
Power brakes
4 Wheel disc brakes
6-speed manual transmission
Helical limited-slip differential
Front: independent strut-type suspension
Rear: Multi-Link Beam suspension
Front and rear stabilizer bars
Spec V-rated suspension
Power-assisted steering
Red&Black Interior
17" Rims five-spoke

*These numbers are not accurate at the wheels... I think the numbers are closer to the 140-150 range. :rolleyes:

Pros about the Spec V
The 6 speed Transmission provides shorter gear ratios.
The LSD is definitely a plus. Not very many cars have this, this helps traction control when taking turns at high speed.
I don't know about the Spec V suspension, but it's supposed to be better than the SER's.

Cons
Price mainly.
The red & black interior doesn't fair well with some of the colors, besides black and red :p, but the 2003 models compensate for that.
The 6 speed transmission doesn't shift well, but the 2003 compensate for that.

Overall
You pay a thousand more for an extra gear, projected 10 more HP, and mesh interior. The LSD is a major part, but the rest seems lacking. The 6 speed is a hassle to the normal driver, esp. in traffic. The 6 speed may have a good 'powerband' but I see that you don't acclerate much if you downshift once you're past the 3500 mark. Still the 6th speed is cool. Oh yeah, you get a Spec V sticker. :D

Pros about the SER
The SER is cheaper than the spec V, by a thousand or around so.
Can come as an automatic for all you automatic lovers, too bad that's not me.
Lighter
Grey interior doesn't clash as much as the red & black.
Still as powerful as the Spec V.

Cons
The SER is cheaper for a reason...
Lack of an LSD is major... :(
No 6th speed, too bad, but its not that bad.
Projected 10 less HP, but they are the same engine??? I think you can override this.
No Spec V sticker... dang! :p

Overall
The SER is just like the Spec V minus the LSD which is a big factor. The 16" rims look okay, I prefer them over the 17", but that's my opinion. The SER applies to all the daily drivers mostly.

Soooo... Hmmm.... I think I'll dig deeper to uncover some more mysteries of the SER and Spec V.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, the article is the difference. I dunno, like I said, I ran into the article pertaining to the SERs. This thread is Base SER vs. Spec V, not what should I get... hmmm... but then it is sorta out of topic...

Have any of the Spec V owners raced a base SER? I know I've raced Spec V... did you beat it? I'm still hestitant about why a higher stock model was beaten by a lower stock model. All these races were held in my Home Town... and the first one with the Blue Spec V, my first kill... doesn't count cause he's an idiot.

·
Registered
172 Posts
hey crzflip02

the SE-R (non spec v) does have a viscious limited slip in it
and it weighs in about 150 pounds ( give or take) less than the spec V lighter tranny and the seats also weigh less. and the 16 inch rims also weigh less. the hp and torque differnce can be made up with a K&N filter

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
red SE-R said:
hey crzflip02

the SE-R (non spec v) does have a viscious limited slip in it
and it weighs in about 150 pounds ( give or take) less than the spec V lighter tranny and the seats also weigh less. and the 16 inch rims also weigh less. the hp and torque differnce can be made up with a K&N filter
Say whaaa? The non Spec has an LSD? I didn't know that? Hmmm....

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I admire your relentless assault BlackoutSpecV, but... whatever. If you think want I'll point out the differences and the fact that I posted on SER or Spec V.

1. The SER or Spec V thread starter, Murph, wants to know the differences of the SER and Spec V. He needs the info to make a decision.

2. He asks about the components that might be out, etc. for modding I guess.

3. Everyone points out different points of view of the SER and Spec V. It's wise to make decisions based on other people's opinion, but first hand experience is the best. Experience overrules the opinoin factor, considering it's from hard evidence, not comments.

Hmmm... so the search button can be used to... search :eek: I didn't know that. :eek:

:p I don't know what you're trying to establish here. Are you wanting me to post more on that thread?

My topic is VS so that means VS is practically the contrast of two figures, 'something against something' unless you want me to search for that too. :p

Props to ya BlackoutSpecV, ummm I really don't find any significance to your posts, but oh well. Let's stay on topic. :)

So how does the reg SER fair against the Spec V, opinions anyone?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The extra cash for the Spec V is more than worth it my opinion. For the $1000 you get a far better looking/quality interior (sorry, but the base SE-R interior looks like it belongs in my Mom's car), the helical limited slip (I'm almost certain the base SE-R has no limited slip at all), an even more finely tuned suspension (hence the "Spec V" rating) and also nicer 17" wheels and tires (Nissan charges almost $600 for a single Spec V wheel, and those Contis are over $100/each). The 6-speed trans is geared nicely to compliment to the torque of the car. The reason you don't get much more power by downshifting at higher rpm is that you're in the torque curve, dont downshift, step on the gas! :) As far as the 6-speed being hard to drive in traffic, its certainly no different than any other manual trans I've ever had. I have driven a base SE-R with the 5-speed and it felt similiar in terms of power, but I'd rather have my Spec in the mountains when I take a corner at 50mph and the helical limited-slip is all that stands between me and the cliff. :D

·
Aaaayh!
439 Posts
the base SE-R does not have the limited slip. I would like to see where you saw or heard this from.
On the Nissan site they say:

"Another extra tweak on the SE-R Spec V is the helical limited-slip differential."

It wouldnt be an "extra tweak" if both shared the LSD. Look at it yourself.

http://www.nissandriven.com/ Look up the SE-R and then go to performance.

And calm down about people who post about something that has already been posted before. No need to be anal.

·
Registered
172 Posts
here this is where i found the info on the lsd for the non spec v SE-R

"quote taken from sport compact car by Josh Jacquot"

What is a Spec V?
When the updated Sentra SE-R hits the market, there'll be two versions: the SE-R and the SE-R Spec V. Here are the differences.

The $16,900 Spec V version has a more aggressive suspension through increased spring rates and shock valving. It has 10 more hp (165 hp vs. 175 hp), due to a different exhaust system and ECU, as well as a six-speed transmission and a helical limited-slip differential. The SE-R comes with a five-speed and viscous limited-slip differential.

The Spec V rides on 17-inch wheels fitted with 215/45ZR-17 rubber, while the standard SE-R makes do with 16-inch wheels and 195/55HR-16 tires. Both cars use the same 11-inch front and 9-inch rear disc brakes.

Also available on the Spec V version is a 280-watt Rockford Fosgate audio system with nine speakers.--Josh Jacquot

http://216.239.53.100/search?q=cache:s4xctmWvbrwC:[url]www.sportcompactcarweb.com/archives/features/feature01_1201.shtml+2002+nissan+sentra+se-r+viscous+limited+slip&hl=en&ie=UTF-8[/url]

I also verrified this information thanks to the service manager at my local dealership, he gave me printouts of well EVERYTHING (tech specs) on the SE-R and Spec V. and it is listed there as well

I emailed nissan america about this and they told me ( since its WELL documented with them that i own one.. long story) that they dont advertise the SE-R as having a LSD to promote sales for the Spec V..

its all a sales ploy... every model of SE-R since their conception has had a LSD

·
Registered
44 Posts
That is a pretty bold statement about nissan misleading its customers.

I have the 2002 product and price guide, I took from a nissan salesman, that says the the Spec V has a helical limited slip and the base SE-R does not.

The guide made no mention of anytype of L.S.D. for the base SE-R.

But what your saying is possible without Nissan actually directly lieing to us and their salesmen. The Spec V could have the mechanical helical L.S.D and the SE-R could just have a viscuous L.S.D. like its predecessors.

In anycase it would be a shame if you are right.

I have to admit I jammed on the brakes to make sure they did not accidentally give me ABS, they didn't.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Red SE-R:

There is a correction to the quote you posted:

The base SE-R also can get the audio fanatic stereo whatever wattage it truely is, nissan says its 300watts.

·
Aaaayh!
439 Posts
Maybe i was wrong on my post above. Although the difference between the two may just be viscous and helical. Like pinkfloyd said.

Anyway, I dont think that Nissan is lying to customers. But it is a little misleading. The fact that the spec v is being advertised as having a Helical LSD might lure more people to it instead of the base model. (more $$$ for the dealers) But even if it is misleading, most people would not base thier descion on the LSD alone.

I am basing this whole statement on the assumption that red se-r's claim that the base se-r does have a LSD is true. It may be, because i have never heard that the se-r DOES NOT have a LSD. Its just all I have heard is about the Spec V's Helical LSD.

:confused:

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's all quite interesting... so my base SER has an LSD... coolio. :cool:

It's marketing and advertisement. If you think about it, if you produce a car that has a base model and a higher model, you'd want people to buy the higher model. All cars in general are produced cheaply, it's the research, design, and advertisement that are expensive. You'd want the customer to buy the higher model due to the higher price, thus sometimes, more profit. I think it was genius to promote the LSD on the Spec V. Honestly, that appeals to more of the customers, even if they don't know what it is. The extra feature just fascinates them and makes them want it. :D

Does lying equal hiding the truth, or not explaining the whole truth, or just revealing what is needed?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know my 96 SE-R had a viscous unit. The helical is a good step up from the vicous unit though performance-wise...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Here is a letter I got of b15sentra.net there also is a letter from Nissan Canada that says the same thing:

Thank you for contacting Nissan North America, Inc. and allowing us the
opportunity to be of assistance.

Thank you for your interest in Nissan.

The base model Nissan Sentra SER does not come with viscous limited slip
differential.

Please visit our web sites for more information:

www.nissandriven.com
www.nissannews.com
If you have any further questions or comments, please feel free to e-mail
us.

Sincerely,

Keith Gayle
National Consumer Affairs

The thread is linked here
http://www.b15sentra.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=18002&perpage=15&highlight=HELICAL VISCOUS&pagenumber=2

·
Aaaayh!
439 Posts
:confused:
Well either the dealership the RED SE-R went to was full of crap or Keith Gayle is full of crap. So which one is it? And RED SE-R almost had me convinced. Now im just confused.

·
Registered
18 Posts
crzflip02 said:
Hmmm... I ran into this website SER Vs. Spec V Read it. If you are deciding on whether to get a Spec V or SER take into consideration some of this guys points.
That's funny. I was just browsing your board.. that's my rant. I get a lot of heat for that from the spec-v guys... anyway as for the LSD... I was writing phantom a while back on that... seems likely they'll consider a LSD for non spec se-r's in the future and it'd only be maybe 300 bucks so... may be a possibility

http://www.b15sentra.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40590&highlight=phantom

http://www.b15sentra.net/forums/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=107379&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Why doesn't someone with an se-r just jack up the front end and test if they have a vlsd? (hint: if both wheels turn the same direction, you have a lsd)

AFAIK, the SE-Rs don't have a vlsd.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.