Nissan Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all,

I recently bought a nissan sentra with a QG16DE engine. It's slow.....it does't feel like i'm driving a 1600cc engine. I've driven the honda civic's and the toyota corola's and it really feels different. Can anyone help, suggest how i can make this engine faster without internal mods. any bolt ons available for this type of engine.

Marlo
 

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
Joined
·
8,328 Posts
you sure it's a QG16 and not a QG15DE? iirc there's a QG15DE and the QG18 but I've never seen the QG16.

it won't feel like a honda b16 because it isn't.

your engine probably makes 100-110hp at the crank, or around 80-90 wheel horsepower. it's not gonna feel fast, or even quick.
 

·
cheese
Joined
·
618 Posts
chimmike said:
you sure it's a QG16 and not a QG15DE? iirc there's a QG15DE and the QG18 but I've never seen the QG16.

it won't feel like a honda b16 because it isn't.

your engine probably makes 100-110hp at the crank, or around 80-90 wheel horsepower. it's not gonna feel fast, or even quick.

my thought exactly :thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
chimmike said:
you sure it's a QG16 and not a QG15DE? iirc there's a QG15DE and the QG18 but I've never seen the QG16.

it won't feel like a honda b16 because it isn't.

your engine probably makes 100-110hp at the crank, or around 80-90 wheel horsepower. it's not gonna feel fast, or even quick.

Yup i'm preety sure its QG16......any suggestions on how i can bring the horsepower up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
MarloVeloso said:
Yup i'm preety sure its QG16......any suggestions on how i can bring the horsepower up.
Hi! I think the rules applies for both QG18 and 16. Been doing some bolt ons on my N16 QG16DE Auto

So far, I've done:

17" K-Speed wheels (215/45-17)
PiperCross panel filter
Custom CAI (utilizing the original airbox)
Grounding Cables
Voltage Stabilizer
Denso Irridium Plugs

Didn't dyno, so can't quote HP figures but overall performance has improve. Better throttle response and freer reving on high RPM.

Planning Stage:

Full custom exhaust (have to custom, since non available where I live)
aPEXi turbo timer (it comes with A/F Meter and Volt Meter)
Coilovers (still undecided on the brand yet)
S-AFC (dyno tuned)

Keeping my fingers crossed for a high performance cam... :cheers:
 

·
Still here
Joined
·
347 Posts
kaizer said:
Planning Stage:

Full custom exhaust (have to custom, since non available where I live)
aPEXi turbo timer (it comes with A/F Meter and Volt Meter)
Coilovers (still undecided on the brand yet)
S-AFC (dyno tuned)

Keeping my fingers crossed for a high performance cam... :cheers:
Nice work on your car so far. You should post some pictures in the Members Rides section of the forums.

I'm not sure about your engine exactly (being that we dont have it here) but ive heard that the SAFC doesnt respond well with our cars. Do a search and do your research. Just planting a seed for ya.

Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
thecolonelcm said:
Nice work on your car so far. You should post some pictures in the Members Rides section of the forums.

I'm not sure about your engine exactly (being that we dont have it here) but ive heard that the SAFC doesnt respond well with our cars. Do a search and do your research. Just planting a seed for ya.

Good luck!
Thanks...

I think SAFC is the only piggy back for the QG series engine. I'm not sure. That's why I'm gonna install the Apexi turbo timer (it comes with A/F meter). If it doesn't affect much on the A/F, probably I'll skip the SAFC and go for a fuel regulator instead.

For piggy back ECU, is there any alternatives?

Thanks for the heads up, bro!
 

·
Still here
Joined
·
347 Posts
kaizer said:
Thanks...

I think SAFC is the only piggy back for the QG series engine. I'm not sure. That's why I'm gonna install the Apexi turbo timer (it comes with A/F meter). If it doesn't affect much on the A/F, probably I'll skip the SAFC and go for a fuel regulator instead.

For piggy back ECU, is there any alternatives?

Thanks for the heads up, bro!
Did some more research and found the sticky at the QG18 forum. Apparently the SAFC will work for that engine. SOrry for the misinformation. I have the GA16DE and have heard bad things about SAFC for my engine, and for all nissans, but i guess there are no viable alternatives.

I'm sure you will find all the info you need in the QG forum

For now here's what you need:
http://www.nissanforums.com/showthread.php?t=57505&highlight=piggyback
 

·
Still here
Joined
·
347 Posts
thecolonelcm said:
Did some more research and found the sticky at the QG18 forum. Apparently the SAFC will work for that engine. SOrry for the misinformation. I have the GA16DE and have heard bad things about SAFC for my engine, and for all nissans, but i guess there are no viable alternatives.

I'm sure you will find all the info you need in the QG forum

For now here's what you need:
http://www.nissanforums.com/showthread.php?t=57505&highlight=piggyback
Edit: Also... greddy emanage?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
thecolonelcm said:
Edit: Also... greddy emanage?
Blitz - R-FIT?

I think the emanage is a complete ECU swap. Which I can't afford nor am I willing to part my dough for. I'd rather get the SR20VE, it's cheaper and better to begin with, eh? :wink: :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
QG16DE Engine

Hello,

I also bought a Sentra with this engine two weeks ago. My car is fast. I also have a Honda Civic ESI. My problem is it consumes too much gasoline, 6km/liter. Do you also have a mileage problem? What octane rating do you use? I am told to use unleaded with 93 octane rating
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
rollyms said:
Hello,

I also bought a Sentra with this engine two weeks ago. My car is fast. I also have a Honda Civic ESI. My problem is it consumes too much gasoline, 6km/liter. Do you also have a mileage problem? What octane rating do you use? I am told to use unleaded with 93 octane rating

Hi!

11km/Liter. 80% highway (120/kmh to 140/kmh). I'm using 97 octane fuel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
kaizer said:
Hi!

11km/Liter. 80% highway (120/kmh to 140/kmh). I'm using 97 octane fuel.
I was told by my dealer not to use a 97 octane rating since it will destroy my engine. I think he is "pulling my leg". I drove from Ortigas area to San Fernando doing 80 - 90 kph (as stated in the manual during the break-in period) and only made 9km/liter using a 93 octane rating gasoline.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
rollyms said:
I was told by my dealer not to use a 97 octane rating since it will destroy my engine. I think he is "pulling my leg". I drove from Ortigas area to San Fernando doing 80 - 90 kph (as stated in the manual during the break-in period) and only made 9km/liter using a 93 octane rating gasoline.
I'm not sure about the QGs, but usually manufacturer will have the optimum setting based on 92 octane. In my country, the lowest octane available is 92. But I heard they have even lower in the US of A. I'm not sure.

Frankly, the mechanic (authorize dealer) told me to only use 97. It's more expensive than 92, but then again... dare not risk it for fear of detonation???

I never heard of 'do not use higher octane than recommended'. It will not damage your engine. Well, the engine might not be able to use those extra octane to good use since they've been optimally setup to use lower octane.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
thanks a lot! I also have not heard of "do not use higher octane than recommended". The Nissan manual says "at least 95 octane". So I am really bothered why they are asking me to use only a 93 RON.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
If my car can utilize the power that can be extracted from 97 RON or higher i'll be glad to use it.Better replace the engine,QG16DE really sucks!I know the feeling because i own one.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top