Nissan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 sentra 5 speed, Im soon going to be putting on a few bolt ons. Just wondering if it will be quicker than a civic.

·
Super Moderator
1,065 Posts
you need to explain more. Civic what Si? What kinda of sentra do you have, your mods?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I plan to put a short air intake, header and a catback for now. I'm just wondering with these mods how it would be up against any 88-95 not v-tech civic.

·
Registered
23 Posts
the ga16 engine will beat a non v-tech civic easy, when the two engines were dynoed the civic showed jagged uneven curves. the ga however had very streight lines. besides the ga has more horsepower and torque

·
Registered
136 Posts
You should be able to beat a same vintage non-VTEC Civic in a straight line. But a stock Civic should outrun a Sentra on anything curvy since newer Civics are not saddled with a beam axle.

Well Motor Trend tested this 1996 Civic EX (SOHC) with 4AT
1996 Honda Civic EX - Owners Review - Long-Term Wrapup- Motor Trend

PERFORMANCE
Acceleration, 0-60 mph, sec 10.8
Quarter mile, sec/mph 18.1/75.3
Braking, 60-0 mph, ft 144
Slalom, mph 62.7
Lateral acceleration, g 0.77

I can only find one instrumented test of the B14 on the Web and it was a 5M GXE.
NISSAN SENTRA GXE (1997)
0-60 MPH 10 seconds
1/4 Mile (E.T.) 17.5 seconds @ 80 mph
Top-speed 112 mph

·
Registered
505 Posts
Yeah you could probably take em

The only civic I know of in those years are the ce's, ex models that had the 1.5L motors. Those things only have 70HP, but weren't weak by any means. One of the best cars I've owned next to the sentra. Even though I think the Sentra will win since I sold off the civic too early in it's life.

·
Registered
74 Posts
as long as there are good clean shifts the sentra should win. the SOHC civics tend to be peppy and if the powerband exists itsw wayyy up in the 5.5k-7.5k rpm range. also the issue of torque comes. both cars suck torque wise but the nissan has more torque than the briggs and stratton motor your up against so you should be able to take the civic.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts