Nissan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Hey sr20racer, in case you didn't know a stock bare bones bottom line 91 E model with a 4 speed stick ran 0-60 in 8.4 sec. and the 1/4 mile in 16.8. That's only about a second slower than what most b13 se-r's ran. The b13 E model was the fastest 1.6 sentra ever made, now add a few mods like a header, cai, cat-back and advanced timing etc. and the E will run neck and neck with a stock se-r. Not bad for a lowly GA16DE powered sentra eh...:D

·
Registered
389 Posts
Ok SENTRAPOWER93 so if you add CAI,header,and a cat back which I assume you will spend about $1000 on these mods then you could actually save that money and buy a SE-R and have nice interior,A/C, and some potentiol there. I hate to keep saying it but the only way to get power out of the 1.6 is to swap it out. I had a 200SX SE so beleive me I know. My friend has a 200SX SE and he has intake,exhaust,header,plugs,wires,flywheel,suspension, and a clutch and when I had my old stock 200SX SE it would keep up with his car, do that same scenario with a SR20 and the modded one is going to pull hard on the stock one. The only thing a E model is good for is to strip it and go lightweight with it.

·
Administrator
1,075 Posts
Really, this isn't proving anything... if a 1.6 owner chooses to work on their car, that's their prerogative.

·
bitter old man
1,456 Posts
Somebody (sr20racer) hasn't done his turbo homework. I bet $100 you can't get that turbo running right for less than $2500 USD.

Put up or shut up.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Adam said:

Are you talking to me? I fucking hate rice, I would never do any of that shit. That was my point, there actually are some of us GA16DE owners that are interested in performance mods. I'm focusing more on suspension myself because I realize the shortcomings of my engine, and I can always swap all my suspension if I get an SE-R after school. I think that's the biggest difference, money. Being a senior in college has lots of expenses besides tuition, I can't afford to do anything else but keep this car for now.
I"m talking to anyone who want's to go Rice. I don't mind it, I don't care. I just like speed some people like Looks. I like a little of both. I don't want a fast ugly car or a ugly fast car. So if you want to go all the way rice please go ahead. No one on this borad is going to help anyone out with money to get the things you want. So do what makes you happy. No how many times I've been asked "Why are you going to Turbo that Shitty Sentra" Well, those are Hondas bouys talking. And they car cant keep up after i'm done.. So if you going to do it go all the way. No foucsed on you.. It's on everyone..
Madness

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
there is no way in hell u can get a turbo set up for $300 bux.. if u can then if either is stolen or what not... if u want a goood turbo set up u gonna hafta buy the whole shit of things ...

ecu , turbo , manifold , pistons , rings , etc etc etc

cost maybe aroudn 3 G 's but 300 bux.. someone is on crack.

·
in^3,N20,RPM,PSI
4,652 Posts
LIUSPEED said:
there is no way in hell u can get a turbo set up for $300 bux.. if u can then if either is stolen or what not... if u want a goood turbo set up u gonna hafta buy the whole shit of things ...

ecu , turbo , manifold , pistons , rings , etc etc etc

cost maybe aroudn 3 G 's but 300 bux.. someone is on crack.
S13 Silvia T25... $240, in my possesion right now...

·
Registered
389 Posts
Ok Bahearn I have done my homework and it seems you need to stay after school. http://www.nissanforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=2561&goto=newpost

Check that out and give me my $100.00 better yet keep it and and buy something nice for yourself. Minus the PP and the JWT ECU and what do you have? A turbo set up for a lot less than $2500.00. For those of you that think you must have a JWT ECU to run a bolt on turbo on your car you don't, so don't try to tell me you do. It is ideal if you do but that can always later. A guy is running a BBDET(without a JWT ECU) in a NX on the SR20 forum and he said it runs good.

LIUSPEED: For being a "Nissan know it all" doesn't seem like you know everything. If you have $3000 + you can do a real nice turbo set up with the rings,pistons, and JWT ecu like you mentioned above, but if you only have about $1300 to work with and you already have a SR20 and can be satisfied with about 200+ hp then you can do what I am going to do, and safely boost 7-10 PSI!!!!!!!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Well it depends, I have the JWT S3 cams and the Unorthodox pulley set and some other small mods that will help but yes If you do this you can be close to if not pushing that kind of HP. Think about it you can go NA with a SR20 and do this:

CAI: $200
Header$400
cams:$500
Pulleys$150
Catback$500
and plugs,wires, and advance the timing and you can be pushing 140-145 to the wheels or you can do a cheap turbo set up and get alot more hp. I wish I would of done that in the beginning. My car is pretty quick, I can pull on a B16 with all of the bolt ons and I have great torque but I am just about maxed out as far NA goes and I am craving some big gains. (w/o NOS)

·
in^3,N20,RPM,PSI
4,652 Posts
sr20racer said:

For those of you that think you must have a JWT ECU to run a bolt on turbo on your car you don't, so don't try to tell me you do. It is ideal if you do but that can always later. A guy is running a BBDET(without a JWT ECU) in a NX on the SR20 forum and he said it runs good.
If he's got the BBDET engine, he might have used the ecu from the original engine, that's why he did not use the JWT ecu. If you have your ordinairy se-r and you want to throw a turbo on there, I can promise you you have to have the ecu. So unless you're buying a whole new engine with ecu, you don't have a choice you have to add the JWT ecu onto your price list. BTW, it's "runs WELL...."

·
bitter old man
1,456 Posts
Hey, sr20racer, recursive links tell me nothing. Try that again, this time pointing to the proper post.

Actually, don't bother. I've been on the SE-R mailing list for four years, and not one turbo install described there ever ran with only a thousand bucks thrown at it. There are a lot of expensive details not originally forseen. Strange that none of the turbo installs I've read about used a NISMO down-pipe. I would presume on that evidence that it WON'T WORK in the B13-B15 series. Also, any turbo you bought for three hundred bucks will need a rebuild, so triple that price.

You need to ACTUALLY DO IT FOR THE PRICE YOU QUOTE. You pull that off, you get my $100 dollars. Receipts on demand, of course.

·
in^3,N20,RPM,PSI
4,652 Posts
bahearn said:
Also, any turbo you bought for three hundred bucks will need a rebuild, so triple that price.
I don't agree with that statement, but I do agree that putting together a turbo kit for 1000 or under is extremely difficult. Even with a 300 dollar turbo (without a rebuild), you still have tons of other parts to buy, and don't discount costs like shipping. And like I said before the ecu is mandatory unless you already have a BB engine. I don't think there is a given price for a turbo kit, depends on whether you want to pay someone for their kit or you're resourceful enough to put together one on your own, but I don't think it will cost under 1000 bucks either way...

·
Registered
37 Posts
alright now chill out!! LOL.. just be glad we are not all driving civics with apc decals and lighted windshield sprayers with our pep boy chrome (i mean plastic) hub caps... am i right?

·
Registered
389 Posts
OK Bahearn check out Matt Dehavens turbo'd classic. I have not spoke to him personally but look on the SE-R.net and look for his project car. I am sick of arguing with 5 different guys. So I think I do it for cheap and nobody else does so there it is. Peace.

·
Doodeee doodee doodee doo
1,495 Posts
this has been the most entertaining thing...

this has been one of the most entertaining rants i've ever read. SR20s suck. Real enthusiasts buy lawnmower motors and tune them up to 50hp. THEN they put them in their car. If anyone out there has a 1 liter GA doing 150hp, I'd be more interested in finding out how to do that than anything else. :D

I've been trying to figure a price for a turbo, and it seems like you COULD get a set-up done for under a thousand, with a surplus turbo and some cheap shop fabricated parts, or surplus stuff off of old 1.8 Nissan engines, but it would run ragged as hell, and would probably be bad for your car, as well. You would definitely need some timing and ECU adjustments, and that alone would push it over the edge, unless you're already running a sports-tuned motor.

1,267 Posts
Re: this has been the most entertaining thing...

niky said:
this has been one of the most entertaining rants i've ever read. SR20s suck. Real enthusiasts buy lawnmower motors and tune them up to 50hp. THEN they put them in their car. If anyone out there has a 1 liter GA doing 150hp, I'd be more interested in finding out how to do that than anything else. :D
First of all, nobody said SR20's suck, I just said it was my opinion that some SR20 owners were thinking way too much of themselves and their cars. Second of all, where the hell are you going to find a 1 liter GA? You really need to pay attention, you're just making this stuff up as you go along. Show me where in this thread anyone said anything even remotely close to :
Real enthusiasts buy lawnmower motors and tune them up to 50hp.

·
ex-Super *********
1,410 Posts
Wasent this post about ram air? The original question has been answered. Lets leave all of this $1000 turbo set-up stuff for the forced induction section. We dont need any bickering going on. If you want to debate about how much it costs to go turbo, dont do it here. One more thing I think we have seen enough of the GA vs. SR debate. At this point debating it anymore is just a waste of spacee.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts