Nissan Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Sentra GXE with the 1.8L engine. The dipstick handle broke off and I replaced the dipstick with a new one from Nissan (double checked the part number with two dealerships). The replacement dipstick shows the engine to be a quart low after I completed an oil and filter change. The owner's manual and everywhere on the internet states the engine should take just under 3 qts. With 3qts added to the engine, the dipstick shows to be on the "L" mark on the dipstick which is a quart low. A Nissan technician looked up something that said you could add a maximum of 3 1/2 qts to the engine, so I added another 1/2 qt. Now the dipstick shows to be 1/2 way between the "L" and the "H" on the dipstick. I've worked on vehicles for close to 50 years and this is an odd one to me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was my first thought. However, I first purchased one from AutoZone, then from Nissan. The broken one I removed, the generic Auto Zone, and the Nissan dipsticks are all identical. This belongs to a friend, so I have no proof that 3 qts always worked before I changed the oil, but unless there's something special going on, 3qts is what the manual and everything on the internet says is right.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Is there an accessory cooler on it, maybe? If so it will need extra oil for the cooler. If the tube is healthy then I can't think of anything else that would make the stick mis-read.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.