Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well a friend of mine just got his first car, 98 Sentra 1.6 GXE. 130k

It was purchased at an auction, seems to run fine.

It does have a CEL which i will be checking on, thanks to the sticky, very soon.

But a couple of questions,

Does it have a PVC valve?

The oil will be changed with 0w30 Amsoil, Ive yet to look but does it use a short filter? And if so is there room for a full size? Filter model number?

Might change the PS and Brake fluid to, does any one know the amounts of either?

How do these motors respond to iridium plugs? NGK or Denso?

2inch Exhaust piping is preferred correct?

Whats the ratings on the battery?

Id like to go with a smaller/ lighter one.

Anything Maintenance on a Sentra that tends to be over looked?

Thanks for any and all help guys.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Well a friend of mine just got his first car, 98 Sentra 1.6 GXE. 130k

It was purchased at an auction, seems to run fine.

It does have a CEL which i will be checking on, thanks to the sticky, very soon.

But a couple of questions,

Does it have a PVC valve?

The oil will be changed with 0w30 Amsoil, Ive yet to look but does it use a short filter? And if so is there room for a full size? Filter model number?

Might change the PS and Brake fluid to, does any one know the amounts of either?

How do these motors respond to iridium plugs? NGK or Denso?

2inch Exhaust piping is preferred correct?

Whats the ratings on the battery?

Id like to go with a smaller/ lighter one.

Anything Maintenance on a Sentra that tends to be over looked?

Thanks for any and all help guys.

Check the front main seal for leaks and timing chain. Use the standard battery, going smaller or bigger is not recommended. Just use autolites for plugs, no sense in wasting money. Different filter? Never knew this was possible. Take about 3-3.5 quarts of oil. Use standard oil filter. 1995-2002 sentra's have a PCV valve part # SIV354. Actually never heard of anyone ever changing brake fluid or PS fluid...another waste of time. This is only done when it's necessary to bleed the brakes or PS is being replaced, hoses, etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check the front main seal for leaks and timing chain. Use the standard battery, going smaller or bigger is not recommended. Just use autolites for plugs, no sense in wasting money. Different filter? Never knew this was possible. Take about 3-3.5 quarts of oil. Use standard oil filter. 1995-2002 sentra's have a PCV valve part # SIV354. Actually never heard of anyone ever changing brake fluid or PS fluid...another waste of time. This is only done when it's necessary to bleed the brakes or PS is being replaced, hoses, etc.
I would be sticking with the stock amperage of the stock battery or better , I just wanted to know what that amperage was.

Id like to use iridium plugs as the will last the rest of the life of the car , do these motors respond badly to them?

For the oil filter, like my Durango takes a rather small oil filter stock but the thread pattern is the same on the 5.0 mustangs so i use the WIX version of that which is about to inches longer.

The brake fluid is dirty and the pedal itself seems mushy i believe there is air in the lines. So its not a waste of time.

I just wanted to know the amounts of said fluids id need.

By front main seal do you mean the head gasket?

I'll be advancing the timing as well as checking it

His Haynes manual doesnt list the pcv vavle, odd.
Could you tell me where it is?

·
Registered
505 Posts
I would be sticking with the stock amperage of the stock battery or better , I just wanted to know what that amperage was.

Id like to use iridium plugs as the will last the rest of the life of the car , do these motors respond badly to them?

For the oil filter, like my Durango takes a rather small oil filter stock but the thread pattern is the same on the 5.0 mustangs so i use the WIX version of that which is about to inches longer.

The brake fluid is dirty and the pedal itself seems mushy i believe there is air in the lines. So its not a waste of time.

I just wanted to know the amounts of said fluids id need.

By front main seal do you mean the head gasket?

I'll be advancing the timing as well as checking it

His Haynes manual doesnt list the pcv vavle, odd.
Could you tell me where it is?
Well, if you have to bleed the brakes, then it's not a waste. The front mail seal is located behind the crank pulley. These are known to go bad. Why are you advancing the timing? The pcv valve is located right behind the oil cap. There is a hose going into the valve cover pull that hose off and there it is take a pair of pliars and pull it out.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,244 Posts
If you advance the timing more than to 10 degrees from spec of 8 degrees BTDC, you will have to use premium gas.
15 degrees i believe is the max. with std ECU.
If you get a JWT ECU then 10 degrees is max.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts