Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey
does anyone know good the JWT ECU's are?
im looking for any option to change the stock one...
ive got heders and full exhaust and a cai.
if anyone has any options or suggestions im open to listen

MiKe:D :D :p :D

·
HYDYST?
113 Posts
They are good.

What do you want from the mod?
Are you looking for big HP?
Then cams will give you more of a gain than the ECU.

What the ECU provides (for the SE-R) is a better map (2-5hp), higher rev limit, and removes the top speed governer. It also seems to get rid of the 'good day/bad day' way the stock ecu cars tend to run and improves throttle response.

It can also be upgraded if you go beyond bolt ons.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats pretty much what im looking for cuz the damn rev limiter and the governer is killing me...
so im not sure wether to get the cams and or a hks speed limiter remover, or just get the jwt ecu

·
HYDYST?
113 Posts
I don't think the HKS unit will work with the Nissan ECU. The only way I can see it working would have you cutting the ecu harness and driving around with a MIL all the time. Both are bad, especially if you still have a warranty on your car.

The cams won't get rid of the limits, but you will reach them much sooner.:)

I understand completely about the rev limiter, but the only time the top speed limiter bothers me is on the race track.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yeah I don't understand..when are you reaching over 100mph on a daily basis? While JWT is top of the line no doubt, I would recommend finishing some of your bolt ons, and buying some JWT s4 cams. Also, if you are looking for a cheap ass mod, buy a G20 ecu. These will plug into your car, raise the rev limit to 7500rpms, and remove the speed limiter. This is a cheap alternative, usually around $100, and you don't have to send jwt your ecu for a month or...three. Also, this way you will have your stock one just sitting around to send to JWT when you are going to make the plunge. Also..if you are looking for another cheap mod that will make your car noticeably faster, get a 1991-1992 se-r INTAKE cam. This boosted my cars hp around 8 with my intake and exhaust. The 91 cam will give you that boost in upper end come 5000 rpms. um...I'm assuming you have a Sentra SE-L or 200sx se-r right?

Ju§tin

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i wish i have a xe... i know it sucks...
i have the 1.6 so im not sure if the g20 ecu is gonna work on my ride.... but thats a good idea
im looking for something like that... oh yea... what other bolt ons would u suggest?
thanks
MiKe

·
Registered
135 Posts
I think sr20 cams will work in a ga16 engine. Although now that I think about it, they probably won't. I haven't really looked over the ga16 like I have the sr20. I know pretty much everything that will and will not fit my se-r. I DO know that you can get an se-r throttle body though. Although this probably wouldn't help much, it is good for around 3-4 horsepower. Also, I know that you can get some underdrive pulleys from UR. I'm not sure if JWT makes cams for the ga16 though. Your best bet is that if you are actually serious about speed, just go ahead and spend like 500 on an sr20de and swap it into your car. This will probably cost you like $1500-$2000 total though. For a little more you can upgrade even more to an sr20det. You can advance your timing also. This is a cheap mod that helps many people. I'm probably forgetting stuff though, so anyone feel free to chime in. Oh yeah! Get an aluminum spoiler! I hear those are good for at least 10hp!! :D

·
Registered
672 Posts
jwt reporograms 95-97 sentra ecus, so could thy be able to modify my 99s? would a 97s ecu re mappedwork in my 99 ?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for all the good advise...
i called jwt to find out about the ecu and they told me that right now they mod 95 and ithink 98 ecu's for the sentra's that are 1.6 they prob have them all for the sr...
if u call they could prob tell you...
oh yeah im getting a 40 foot spoiler to ad 40hp and im just running down to the shop and putting altezzas on my ride...
dont tell anyone but just that mod alone gives u like 20 horses!
j/k

MikE

·
Registered
135 Posts
Thats cool. Glad to hear JWT can mod your ga16. Sorry to tell you though, but your secret is out. Niss200sxgtr is hot on your tail looking for lights and aluminum spoilers! He has those indiglo needles too. Those add another 5, don't forget!!! :D

·
NPM Lead Editor/Webmaster
4,571 Posts
Crono1321 said:
I think sr20 cams will work in a ga16 engine. Although now that I think about it, they probably won't. I haven't really looked over the ga16 like I have the sr20 I'm not sure if JWT makes cams for the ga16 though. Your best bet is that if you are actually serious about speed, just go ahead and spend like 500 on an sr20de and swap it into your car. This will probably cost you like $1500-$2000 total though. For a little more you can upgrade even more to an sr20det. You can advance your timing also. This is a cheap mod that helps many people. I'm probably forgetting stuff though, so anyone feel free to chime in. Oh yeah! Get an aluminum spoiler! I hear those are good for at least 10hp!! :D
No SR20 cams will not work in a GA16...Yes JWT makes GA16DE Cams... You guys really need to take a look at Nissan Performance Mag more often... All the answers to these questions can be found there if you look through the issues. Just last month we did a whole story on the GA16 cams... Also read the Technical Section on Sentra.net...

Yes JWT has GA16 ECU's and NO a SR20 ECU will not work on a GA...

If you own a GA16 read Project 200SX...

With the new Hotshot Turbo kit for the GA, the SR20 swap is no longer your only choice...

·
Registered
135 Posts
But if he has nothing else to do it is none-the-less a start, right? I agree though, if you aren't getting a crazy amount of air in through the MAF already, then this will probably do you no good, same for the T/B.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
over this weekend one my friends had mentioned nos...
im willing to go that way... but i was wondering on my current mods whats the most i could spray without really messing up my engine?

mods CAI, Pacesetter Heders, Custom Exhaust 2.4" pipe.

·
HYDYST?
113 Posts
If you are going to do NOS, do it right, with proper engine management, safeties, and two valves.

Doing it right will not be cheap. Anyone who says so probably didn't include the cost of a new motor in their total cost.

I would do the cams and ecu first. They're on all the time, the only thing you would need to refill would be the gas tank.:)

If you become a HP junkie, then skip the NOS and go straight to turbo.

·
My car doesn't like you
593 Posts
what do cams actually do? what kinda gains could i expect from them? are they only effective on a modded engine??.....

1 - 20 of 34 Posts