Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sentra 90 Front brake system question

Hi, i am a newbie here and in the world of cars, i bought a 2dr 90 Sentra a couple months ago and well it have been wonderful, no problems yet, just a few things like little looses doors, no biggy.
The only thing is that i live in Costa Rica, central America, and well here the terrain on not flat at all.
The usual weekend trip here is going to the beach for the weekend, we have beautiful ones at 150km , but the thing is there are some mountains to cross for that, i mean 40 min climbing in 2nd and 3rd shift at most and then you have 40km down to sea level, the usual problem on this road, and every trip costarrican do to the beach is, brakes, you have to have good ones.
2 months ago i changed my front brake pads, and after a couple of week's when they were settled, like my mechanic guy said, i went to the beach, you have to be smart using compression and braked, for not the get overheated pads, but mine were, and boy, i saw smoke from the front wheels, and well i joined the list of cars that have to pull off the road for a while.
This upcoming easter week, i am planning to tho the same trip, but i know it will be the same thing, because there are so many cars in the road, that you have to apply a lot your brakes.
My question is, i see a lot of stuff for sentra's in ebay, or other performance stores, but almost no one talk about <91 Sentras, how different is theirs braking system? can i buy some nice "Nissan Sentra [91-95] Fr Drill/Slot Rotors" and adapt them to my 90? is there something i can do to my lacking of force and easily overheating front brakes?
any suggestions?

In the house/work trip 0 problems, decent brakes, but when i need them most, they fail.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
i also want to add that if you didn't change out your brake fluid before then do it now. Old brake fluid boils easier and fresh fluid will make a bit of difference in keeping your pads squeezing the rotor so that even if all parts get red hot you can still try to get the car to a stop. and the best thing for red hot rotors is to keep driving....BUT if you're going downhill i can see where you can't do that. If you can keep driving on flat spot you'll keep airflow to the brakes.

I'm just giving you general tips...read that sticky post about upgrades, cause anything other than stop will make a huge difference for you i'm sure.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks you all for your suggestions. astreamk1 I've read the Post about brakes and it is very good, and astreamk1 thanks for your tips, next week i'll do the brake fluid drain, you are right, i bough my car a couple moths ago and i notice that the last owner didn't pay too much attention to maintenance things, like putting two-contact bulbs in a one-contact socket, so it was kind of christmas tree.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Is your Sentra a Classic? (91 B12)
Either way, the vented rotors on the AD18 setup would make a huge difference. I had to execute an emergency stop the other day when some idiot was doing a u-turn right in the blind spot on my freeway off ramp. Locked em up @70mph for a good 150'. Shoulda seen the smoke and look on the idiots face lol, but I had zero brake fade. Between the Tokicos and the AD18's, they probly save 2 cars and at least 1 life that morning.

·
NISSAN SLAP NUTS
1,051 Posts
Popkorn said:
Is your Sentra a Classic? (91 B12)
Either way, the vented rotors on the AD18 setup would make a huge difference. I had to execute an emergency stop the other day when some idiot was doing a u-turn right in the blind spot on my freeway off ramp. Locked em up @70mph for a good 150'. Shoulda seen the smoke and look on the idiots face lol, but I had zero brake fade. Between the Tokicos and the AD18's, they probly save 2 cars and at least 1 life that morning.

Ya .. any thing to try the brake check ,along with the cat like grip for a suspen. :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Popkorn, yes mine its a Sentra a Classic? (91 B12) you can check it here

My page in Cardomain.com

Next week, i'll take it to the mechanic, because i am feeling some inconsistencies on the performance of the engine, one day, i feel it nice, and the other it like half the horses didn't woke up, all this combined with a little increase in the fuel consumption, somebody told me maybe i should check sparkplugs, cables and gas filter, maybe i got something there.
Ill post the results next week.

Bye :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts