27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to do the following:

Change oil & filter
Change spark plugs
Change transmission fluid
Change radiator fluid
Change front brake pads.

First what is my engine size? How much oil does it take?

What do I need to know before undertaking these tasks? I don't know much about this particular car but I know a lot about the basics. TIA

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Slacky said:
kidding me right?
I don't have a manual so I just need a little guidance. Besides there are no specs here regarding the 1987 Sentra Carborator model. I searched and I can't find them.

·
Registered
275 Posts
you have an E16S if its carburated.

Change spark plugs
Canada: NGK BPR5ES or equivalent ( .035inch gap )
US: NGK BPR5ES-11 or equivalent ( 0.043inch gap )

Change transmission fluid
DEXRON II Automatic Transmission Fluid: 2.6 qts ( approximate )

Change radiator fluid
capacity: 6qts ( approximate ) .. 50/50 coolant and water

As per my Haynes manual

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
muccman said:
you have an E16S if its carburated.

Canada: NGK BPR5ES or equivalent ( .035inch gap )
US: NGK BPR5ES-11 or equivalent ( 0.043inch gap )

DEXRON II Automatic Transmission Fluid: 2.6 qts ( approximate )

capacity: 6qts ( approximate ) .. 50/50 coolant and water

As per my Haynes manual

Ok i got a hold of the car manual.

Now, regarding the transmission fluid if i want to replace ALL, would use more than 2.6 qts?

Does the "disconnect the tranny cooler line" method work for this car? I know it works for my Mazda 626 and I needed 9qts to replace all.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dark chocolate... that's what the color was of the tranny fluid!

Now i replaced it all, tooke me 10L of fresh tranny to cycle through before I could see deep red coming out... now it shifts perfetly again.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bII said:
vlad, what country re you in? You can usually get a service manual in the US/Mexico/Canada.

I gota hold of the owner's manual. i'm from canada, unfortunately canadian tire in my location ran out of Nissan Sentra 87 Haynes manual.

So my car, 125k kms underwent blood transfusion....

The job yesterday went well. I did the bucket/hose trick for the tranny. Replaced the dirty like mud tranny fluid with 10L of fresh ATF.

I also found out when I changed my oil filter that the previous mechanic (whoever he/she is) put a smaller oil filter. The new oil filter was much bigger. Took 3.5L of 5W30 engine oil to get to proper level.

The radiator reservoir was nearly empty. I drained the radiator via the valve on the lower right hand corner. I used about 4L of 50-50 mix. Is there a way I can drain the whole cooling system? I know I only drained the radiator. But the fluid protects up to -29C and to 126C

The power steering fluid is quite brown but I don't know how to replace it.

I wanted to replace the spark plugs but I don't have the tools to take them off. I don't know the socket size. I think it's still the original plugs.

Belts were replaced 20k kms ago.

·
Viva el iPod
1,232 Posts
Oh, yeah you can order a Haynes from Amazon maybe. As far as flushing the entire cooling system, its possible, but for that I would reccomend letting a pro do it. You're probably OK though.

And you need a special socket to remove plugs, its pretty common and available wherever they sell parts/tools.

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,136 Posts
if i remember right it is 11/16 socket for plugs...

Btw where in Canada are you ?? if your close enough i could lend a hand ;) (that beying withing 20-25km from me lollllll)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bad news fellas...

After driving the car for 600km after changing the tranny fluid the transmission died. I was driving from Oshawa Train when the car all of a sudden dropped speed from 120kph to 60kph and would not accelerate... felt like it was in neutral... it was kinda scary...

Towed it to the shop @ Victoria Park and Sheppard Ave... got a call this morning that the transmission won't shift higher than 50kph... Said it's shot and quoted me $1100 for installing a used transmission with 3 months warranty... what do you guys think?

·
B12 Enthusiast
844 Posts
I just realized that is was $1100 for a used replacement not a rebuild. Seems high to me. Esp. for a car of that age and a used tranny. Tranny job in not a big deal in one of these cars.

Now would be a good time to learn to drive a stick . :thumbup:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
astreamk1 said:
I just realized that is was $1100 for a used replacement not a rebuild. Seems high to me. Esp. for a car of that age and a used tranny. Tranny job in not a big deal in one of these cars.

Now would be a good time to learn to drive a stick . :thumbup:

Yikes! ok well what's the reasonable price?

Yeah I want to learn to drive a stick just don't have a car to drive and practice with a stick. I do have PS2 and race car game.

I was thinking of renting a manual car, just to practice.

·
B12 Enthusiast
844 Posts
vlad_vm said:
Yikes! ok well what's the reasonable price?

Yeah I want to learn to drive a stick just don't have a car to drive and practice with a stick. I do have PS2 and race car game.

I was thinking of renting a manual car, just to practice.
??? I am a hardcore do it yourselfer, so not really sure what a reasonable price is, but IMO that sounds high. Maybe someone else on here has an opinion. I got a quote to rebuild the tranny on my 99 silverado for kicks and it was only $1800 w/labor and a full rebuild.

your idea of getting the rental sounds like a winner. :thumbup:

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,136 Posts
if you lived close to me, i would have sold you a used good tranny for 200$can... (wich i still got from my own swap about 3yr ago... old lady driven auto here !!)and probably could have it installed for you for about 300$.... IMO its way too much for a used unit ... i already had a tranny rebuilted for about 1300$can (wich was installed and completely overhauled).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts