Votes: 0 0.0%
  • get to a dealer pronto

• complain to nissan htqtrs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
typing one-handed so 'scuse any typos. heres my issue and i hope other members can help: bought 2021 nissan sentra last september. it began shaky steering problem. have owned enough aging cars to know it was major issue. dealer tells me its rack and pinion failure. say they ordered replacement parts. wont say where the pts are manufactured, there are 3 0ther sentras in the same sad shape on their lot. 45 days now. thew other 3: longer than 3 months. no info from nissan hqtrs. all info appreciated. 馃槤

Admin and Sup Mod keeping the peace
What type of dealer did you buy your car from. It sounds like this dealer is not a certified Nissan dealer but is a used car dealer that sells refurbished salvage vehicles.

Registered
I don't recollect us replacing any racks on the new Sentras. There is a recall for a process problem causing possible bent inner tie-rod ends. However, the worst that will cause is an off-center steering wheel and possibly abnormal tire wear. It shouldn't cause the sort of shaking you describe unless the kinks in the rod ends are very severe. I've personally never seen one that bad, and three on the same lot seems like a stretch. The only thing I can think of is, maybe that particular dealership got a shipment of vehicles tied-down improperly in transport which damaged the racks.

Registered
I purchased a 2021 Nissan Sentra off the lot in Oct 2021, had 25KM on it brand new. End of May / Early June, I drove it from Alberta to Ontario (Canada) and back, clocking just under 8000KM on it. Not a single problem the entire way, ran like a perfect dream. Brought it in for standard maintenance right after the trip, oil change and tire rotation etc. They called me and asked if the car had ever been in a submerge situation. My response was a big wtf, as of course not. I did drive through some heavy rains in Ontario on my trip but that's it. They said the tech noticed a noise or knocking of sorts when turning the wheel. They opened it up and they found water in the steering rack, and that it was defective and needed to be replaced. They drained the water, said it was safe to drive, and they would warranty replace it as soon as they could get a replacement rack, which is of course, on back order. The car was fine until we got shit-dumped with rain one day, and sure enough, now I can feel a knocking when I touch the wheel when the car is stationary, and sometimes when I hit a bump at low speeds or accelerating it causes the whole steering to rumble and shake like a pissed off wii controller on steroids. I know of the tie-rod recall, but they inspected them the last time I took the car in and they were said to be fine at this time not requiring change out. How rain water can get into the steering rack and cause this is way, way beyond me, but that's what they are claiming. Just wanted to share my experience, maybe someone else will have a similar story or some help? Thanks.

The rack probably has defective seals so if you're driving through a flooded road condition, it will certainly get water intrusion.

Registered
Question on water intrusion - with the rack being on backorder possibly into the winter months, when the temp drops below freezing (and it will, I'm in Canada), is it possible that the water in my rack can freeze and expand, causing further and severe damage?

Also, the car was never in a flooded road condition, the rainwater is getting in the rack while the car is off and stationary. How are these two things connected? Apologies for the questions, I'm curious and just want my car to be ok!

Question on water intrusion - with the rack being on backorder possibly into the winter months, when the temp drops below freezing (and it will, I'm in Canada), is it possible that the water in my rack can freeze and expand, causing further and severe damage?

Also, the car was never in a flooded road condition, the rainwater is getting in the rack while the car is off and stationary. How are these two things connected? Apologies for the questions, I'm curious and just want my car to be ok!
With water getting into the rack from some unknown source, if it freezes overnight, it'll certainly cause steering difficulties.

"Where is the water coming from"; maybe it's from a leaking coolant breach or A/C condensation.

Registered
On the '21's the EPS Control Unit is part of the Rack assembly, so there are more seals on and inside it than there would be in a conventional rack. For water to be intruding through the ends would require both a bad boot and a bad seal, which seems unlikely. My guess would be there's a bad gasket someplace in the electronics housing. That means a new rack, because the only serviceable parts in it are the boots and rod ends.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts