Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(I don't know if this is considered cosmetics)

The tension on my seatbelts are buggin me. Every time my friends close the door when they get out, they forget to help roll-up the seatbelt back into place. (A lot of you must understand what I'm going through.) They slam the door while the belt clip is in between the body and the door. Can't tell you how much I cringe. I got gashes on my panels. I recently got tint on the windows, so I'm getting even more worried. I'm also working on a new design for the door panels with fiberglass, and I don't want the seatbealts to be on the door. I'm trying to see if I can drill it onto the pillar. Has anyone else done that? Is this legal? Or just remove it and use a seat harness instead. I took it off while fixinf my window, and the door looks much better without the seatbelts attached to it. IMO.

BTW, as stupid as this might sound, this is serious. It drives me nuts!

Ppeace
CMo

·
freakish poster
1,236 Posts
If your seatbelts are defective the can be repaired by Nissan for free, no time limits. It is a federal law. As far as relocating the mounting points of the belts, don't even consider it.

·
Registered
547 Posts
cmotek - Dude! This happens to me also, and it too makes my stomach quiver. Doesn't really make me mad, just it hangs there and it's no ones fault! I hate how it doesn't retract. I think when I do my interior, I'm either going to get R1 racing seats or S2K black leather seats, and I'm going to run some 3 or 4 point harnesses in it. Then it won't be that bad!

centurion - Why not consider it? Is it hard to do? Because when I first got my car I hate it when I open the door with my seatbelt on. But now I don't really mind. Whenever I do power windows I may see what I can do to fix it or something. Is it hard or pointless?

·
freakish poster
1,236 Posts
Zexel said:
centurion - Why not consider it?
Well it's that the manfactures spend millions on seatbelt design and you can bet where they are now mounted is the best, so if you alter the locaction, who knows how/if they will perform in a crash.

·
Registered
547 Posts
That's a good point. But they really should've thought about how owners feel about that!! Oh well, I guess I'll just have to get myself some...4-pts!!

·
freakish poster
1,236 Posts
Well they attached it to the door because it met the requirements (at that time) that seat belts must be passive. Same deal with the motorized system on the 4 door models, passive. GM had them mounted on the door too. And then law suits followed because the doors would open in a crash, so the design was dropped. I like that design, never having to touch the belt buckle.

·
Hates everyone.
1,921 Posts
Zexel said:
Oh well, I guess I'll just have to get myself some...4-pts!!
There was some recent discussion recently in my local Club's forums about belts and which work best. Basically, with most four point belts, when the belts are loaded (in a collision), the lap portion of the belt is pulled away from your pelvis by the shoulder belts, making the soft tissues of your stomach and your spine take the force of the impact. As you can imagine, this is not a good situation. It is actually much safer in this situation to have your stock three point belt as the point where the lap and shoulder portion meet is to the side and bleow your hips. The only improvement over stock is to use a six point belt, with properly tightened anti submarining straps.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Centurion said:
If your seatbelts are defective the can be repaired by Nissan for free, no time limits. It is a federal law. As far as relocating the mounting points of the belts, don't even consider it.

Jmm, i have the same problem with mines... i wonder if the local Nissan would fix them for free here in Costa Rica... i guess not... is there something to do inside the seatbelt tensioner to make it work? or is just the normal lack_of_oil problem ?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Centurion said:
Hmm...interesting point you are making there. I think every other person with a 2 door B13 has this problem with their seatbelts, including me.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, so a racing harness can be used instead of a seatbelt?
Is it illegal to move the seatbelt, Centurion, or illegal to remove it (even though I'd have the harness). I still want to move the belt on the pillar and make a fiberglass cover over the joints. I don't think NY inspection workers will be able to tell if it is an illegal installation, or a cop when I'm pulled over, for that matter :) My friend had a 1990 2dr riviera and the belt was on the pillar, so I don't think 2dr models back then were strictly designed with belts on the door. I don't know, man. I just noticed that my driver side panels are busted where the seatbelts hit. I can't blame those on my friends. :) Thanks boys (and any girls).

Ppeace
CMo

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
I agree, I wouldn't fuck with the seatbelts. Canadian made B13's had the belts mounted on the B pillars though. So you might be able to get parts from a Cannuck to swap the belts onto the B pillars, provided the Canadian mounting holes/threads are in place in USDM B13's. You could do this and it should be safe, but again, be wary of messing with seatbelts. I'd like to know how to fix this rollup problem myself simply because I don't like other jackasses touching my car. So if anyone finds out how to do it, drop me a pm or e-mail. Nissan just told me to stop by their service department any time and they'd take a look at it. I'll keep you posted.

-Rob

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm going with Centurion on this one. I hate my seat belts getting caught in my doors. No one understands the concept of rolling them up. Usually its a girl, and you can't even bitch. But, as much this bugs me (I even had body work done to the door seam to fix dents from this problem), you can't do much about it. If you move/modify your safety belts in any way, you're violating inspection laws in any state. Granted, depending on who you know, you can get around this sometimes. But even guys I know with the sport seats in their cars, they still left the stock belts in it. I know there are a lot of mods we can do that mechanics and inspectors will turn their heads for, but I know this is one they won't budge on. Some things are best left untouched.

R

·
0 Posts
Do they REALLY have to replace them for free?

Centurion said:

Can anyone confirm that the dealer must fix this problem? I've had this issue on my b13 SE-R for a couple of years. Drives me NUTS!

I'd just like to know if someone actually got their dealer to do the fix for 'em. What law requires them to fix it (just in case they give me a bad time).

THANKS!

- Ronnie

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
I called my dealership and asked and they said yeah they'll fix them if it's a problem of the seatbelt mechanism itself. So you have to take it in and have them look at it.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
If you mess with them and they fail, you could be held liable if your passenger dies or is injured seriuosly or if you sell the car and they get hurt as a result. They are designed a certain way, the pillar may buckle under a crash for whatever reason and the point could break off. You just don't know, Just pull the panel off and replace the mechanism in the door if it doesn't retract right.

·
ex-Super *********
1,410 Posts
I cant help with the problem here, but I am going to tell you guys NOT to run harnesses in your cars without rollover protection. I highly doubt any of you have cages. You should NEVER run harness without rollover protection. Unless you want to be breathing out your butt.

·
bitter old man
1,456 Posts
Seat belts have a lifetime warranty as required by DOT. If they are not operating correctly AND the car has never been in an accident, the manufacturer is required to service or replace them for free. Ask me how I know...

·
SLAVE TO THE GRIND
149 Posts
so...how do you know??

and the US model does have the mounting holes in the pillars..I know this cause my car's interior is gutted....

I too have this seat betl problem...so if some one has written proof or first hand experience on getting the problem fixed please share with use...:)

·
freakish poster
1,236 Posts
We had this issue with a company vehicle (Chrysler). They said only the webbing, not the mechanisim, is covered by the federal warranty. In our case the retractor was jammed, but that isn't covered. I would definitely still call the dealer though.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Don't bother with the dealer, they will NOT help you out with the seatbelts one B13's. I have been to 4 dealers trying to get my seatbelts fixed, and I keep getting the same response.

Here is the scoop:

1)The seatbealts in B13's are designed to be latched AT ALL TIMES. The release at the seat it "FOR EMERGENCY RELEASE ONLY." Just look at the red buttom on the release. It says "Emergency Release". So, when you go to the dealer, they will latch you seatbelts and open and close the door repeatedly to see if the belts retract correctly or not. Which of course they will as there is more tension on the belt as it is stretched across the seat and latched. They will tell you that they see no problem and they work correctly as designed. As all of you know, it is a PITA to get in and out of the car if you use the belts as they are designed. I tried it for a while and got tired of hanging myself.

So, here is what I did. All B13's in Canada have the belts on the pillar, so do all US B13 NX's. So, get the belts and hardware out of an NX. Or, get belts out of a B14 which you all know have them on the door.

Problem fixed. And IMO, the belts are safer as they are not on the door, so in a crash if the door opens, you will be much safer. Plus, taking the belts off the door makes the door much lighter and will eliminate the sagging hinge problem of the B13's, which IMO is caused by the VERY heavy sealt belt mechanism in the door.

Oh, and just want to reinforce what PatScottAKA99XE said. DO NOT RUN A HARNESS W/O ROLLOVER PROTECTION!!!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts