Nissan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 97 Pathfinder the driver seatbelt isn’t retracting properly and is starting to fray on its own. I know there’s lifetime warranty on the belts so I took it in.

Dealership initially didn’t want to fix it. But I asked for the manager and also got North American Nissan on the phone. They basically told the dealership they have to fix it.

So the dealership says they ordered the belt but it’s on back order? And they don’t know when they’ll get it.

Believable or are they playing games?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
836 Posts
At least one of the lefthand belts for a '97 has been discontinued, so it sounds plausible that there won't be much stock on others. I doubt anything would be backordered per se, but it's entirely possible it might need to come from Japan.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At least one of the lefthand belts for a '97 has been discontinued, so it sounds plausible that there won't be much stock on others. I doubt anything would be backordered per se, but it's entirely possible it might need to come from Japan.
Well none of the part numbers for my vin have been discontinued. So hopefully they can locate one.

I’ve also asked them that too, and they said they’re not discontinued but backordered.

How many people really change the belts to not have it located somewhere.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I’ve also asked them that too, and they said they’re not discontinued but backordered.
I'm sure those belts are long out of production, so "backordered" can't be the case. They could be using that term for a manufacturer drop-ship, and "far away" could definitely be the case. It takes 6 days tops for a part to arrive from any Nissan US warehouse, but a drop-ship can take weeks and Japan can take months. If you want to post the exact part number, I can have our Parts guys look it up in DPC and see where it's actually coming from.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sure those belts are long out of production, so "backordered" can't be the case. They could be using that term for a manufacturer drop-ship, and "far away" could definitely be the case. It takes 6 days tops for a part to arrive from any Nissan US warehouse, but a drop-ship can take weeks and Japan can take months. If you want to post the exact part number, I can have our Parts guys look it up in DPC and see where it's actually coming from.
Thanks, I really appreciate that.

86845-0W010

Replaced by: 86845-0W500

So I guess the second part number is the updated one correct?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, that's called a supersession. Usually it just means Nissan changed the subcontractor who makes the part, but sometimes it represents an engineering tweak or improvement. I'll check on the status tomorrow and let you know.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
836 Posts
Well, it does show up "backordered" with no delivery ETA, and it also shows they're normally stock in the Memphis warehouse. That almost certainly means it's a drop-ship item from the seatbelt manufacturer, which will be weeks if it's shelf-stock but could be months if the OE is doing a short production run. Anyway, the dealer wasn't lying.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, it does show up "backordered" with no delivery ETA, and it also shows they're normally stock in the Memphis warehouse. That almost certainly means it's a drop-ship item from the seatbelt manufacturer, which will be weeks if it's shelf-stock but could be months if the OE is doing a short production run. Anyway, the dealer wasn't lying.
Thanks for checking on that.

Hopefully it’s sooner than months but as long as they have it in stock somewhere that I’ll eventually get it.

I have inspection coming up this fall so hopefully before then. The shop that did the inspection last year overlooked the belt.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Even if it's coming from Japan, two months is probably average. I'd be pretty sure it will arrive before Fall.

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
10,242 Posts
If Takata made it, it may be a really long time!

·
Registered
836 Posts
"Takata Holdings" is all that's left of Takata, so I doubt there would be anything drop-shippable if they were the manufacturer. I won't say it's impossible, but unlikely. I guess we'll all find out when the OP's belt finally arrives.

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
10,242 Posts
I hope it's not like when I tried to order a main harness for my 97 Hardbody back in 2006... Even ordered as "customer care" status, I waited 18-months before finally giving up and canceling the order.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I hope it's not like when I tried to order a main harness for my 97 Hardbody back in 2006... Even ordered as "customer care" status, I waited 18-months before finally giving up and canceling the order.
I'm not saying it couldn't be. When rides get old enough, parts procurement gets weird and not just difficult. :rolleyes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts