Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hurricane Fay flooded out my car and the rear seat smells like old socks as a result. I've removed the seat and I want to give it a deep cleaning, but I fear that getting it wet again will make it smell worse. Does anyone have a recommended cleaner or procedure for curing this ailment?

·
Registered
485 Posts
I would try a good powerwashing and then drying. Febreeze might become your best friend. Buy stock in it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
you might look into renting a rug doctor. you could also ask a local dry cleaner, they might know someone who could help. as far as drowning it febreeze, this isn't a long term solution.

·
Registered
485 Posts
"as far as drowning it febreeze, this isn't a long term solution."
Trust me I got that. BUT i have been in vehicles that smells never came out of. So in that case, we cleaned it as best as possible and then just febreezed every couple of weeks. Wasnt to bad.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Have you tried Turtle Wax Powerout! upholstery cleaner? It comes in a big spraycan and has a built in brush thing on the nozzle(although you may want to use a more substantial brush thing if you have one). That might work better than Febreeze for mitigating mildew odor.

·
Registered
48 Posts
if you have time to completely take the seat apart you could soak the upholstry itself in oxyclean overnight then wash it good, as for the foam padding hit it with hot water and a cleaner made to kill mildew. you might just wanna go get a new seat if you don't have time to mess with it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all your suggestions. When I get some money, I'll try the Turtlewax Powerout stuff; the Oxyclean method would probably work better, but trace_busta accurately predicted that I don't have time to mess with it. Plus I can use the Powerout on the other parts of the interior without the need to remove them. I hosed everything down with Febreeze to patch it over in the meantime, so it at least doesn't smell bad anymore, although I know it isn't truly clean.

·
Super Moderator
1,065 Posts
I bought a Bissel green machine, works great.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts