Nissan Forum banner
41 - 60 of 220 Posts

· I miss good ol' OT
10,344 Posts
Annette said:
If I had to do it over again I would consider getting the Infinity G35!
I've been preaching that since I heard how much the SE-R was going to be before it hit the market.

· NPM Executive Editor
232 Posts
mattchu5150 said:
I originally got an auto, but called dealer back when I got home and told him to find me a 6sp. They agreed and I got it on Monday. The car is very fun, BUT it is now in the shop it had to be towed from my house. I went to Cleveland Friday night 'bout 60 miles from home. There are a couple of fun curvey roads I was racing around on, when coming to an end, my brake pedal went mush. I had to down shift and e-brake to stop. This car has 250 miles on it. Dealer says he can't replicate the problem and the guy who took it off the flatbed says when it sat idling pedal would go to the floor???? If they can't find the problem, what do I do? I am afraid to push it. What if it happens again. I crash.

Anyway it is smoke 6 sp w/no brakes.

I love the car though.
Does the pedal stay on the floor or can you pump it? Pumping the pedal might build up enough pressure to stop.

I would insist that the whole brake system is checked, Master cylinder, lines, brake booster, calipers. If they haven't found the problem it doesnt mean its fixed (obviously).

· Registered
5 Posts
SR20AL said:
Does the pedal stay on the floor or can you pump it? Pumping the pedal might build up enough pressure to stop.

I would insist that the whole brake system is checked, Master cylinder, lines, brake booster, calipers. If they haven't found the problem it doesnt mean its fixed (obviously).

Got the car back last night. They did everything you mentioned, plus the rotors were turned. They were out .030. Car had 75 miles on it when delivered, I didn't warp them. Everything seemed to feel fine now. Only 1 big decision to make and that is swapping out the car and going back to the auto I had in the first place. Dealer says they will work with me.

That being said and having driven both cars this is a very hard decision to make. I went out last night and did some launches & 1-2 shifting, it is pretty hard keeping traction, and yes it has TCS. I have a better feel for the manual now BUT the auto shifts so well and with such little driving effort. They both have thier pros, as I am yet to find any cons (other than the traction thing).

Well it's 9 am now and I have to call the dealer by 10 with an answer.

· Registered
5 Posts
mattchu5150 said:
Got the car back last night. They did everything you mentioned, plus the rotors were turned. They were out .030. Car had 75 miles on it when delivered, I didn't warp them. Everything seemed to feel fine now. Only 1 big decision to make and that is swapping out the car and going back to the auto I had in the first place. Dealer says they will work with me.

That being said and having driven both cars this is a very hard decision to make. I went out last night and did some launches & 1-2 shifting, it is pretty hard keeping traction, and yes it has TCS. I have a better feel for the manual now BUT the auto shifts so well and with such little driving effort. They both have thier pros, as I am yet to find any cons (other than the traction thing).

Matt, if I were you I would ask the dealer for some extra time to think about it.
Drive the car some more before you arrive at your final decision.
It only has 74 miles..
Drive it for at least two more days.

· NPM Executive Editor
232 Posts
mattchu5150 said:

Driving a V6 Altima with a manual really reminds me a lot of driving my turbo-charged Sentra. On pump gas my Sentra only makes a little more horsepower then our fully built out Altima 3.5 SE project.

Point being, it's an aweful lot of power to drive through the front wheels. The good news is the tranny isnt succeptable to blowing up like the sr20 powered cars. As long as you respect the power and let off the gas when you feel wheel hop you'll be fine. The Bad is you can really light the tires off in 1st and 2nd but it's childish an fun sometimes.

I've realized that the traction control can be quite liberal at times and you can get an awful lot of wheel spin before Mom comes in and slows things down.

· Registered
5 Posts
SR20AL said:
Driving a V6 Altima with a manual really reminds me a lot of driving my turbo-charged Sentra. On pump gas my Sentra only makes a little more horsepower then our fully built out Altima 3.5 SE project.

Point being, it's an aweful lot of power to drive through the front wheels. The good news is the tranny isnt succeptable to blowing up like the sr20 powered cars. As long as you respect the power and let off the gas when you feel wheel hop you'll be fine. The Bad is you can really light the tires off in 1st and 2nd but it's childish an fun sometimes.

I've realized that the traction control can be quite liberal at times and you can get an awful lot of wheel spin before Mom comes in and slows things down.

Thanks for the input all. I have kept the 6sp, with a little more pratice I am sure things will get better.
As far as the problem went, everything has a paper trail and is dooly noted. The dealer has been easy to work with, so I am not too worried about future problems.
Also, I am really glad to hear about the trannys being able to handle the torque, I was a little worried about that. I think owning this car is going to be a lot of fun. I can't wait 'till summer!

· Registered
44 Posts
Finally took some pics of my new baby...

Here we go... It took me long enough, but I finally remembered to grab a camera when I left the house. I picked it up on Dec. 10th (the car that is...) and have been loving it ever since. A couple mods already, but nothing majorand Im not planning on it either. Just a few more ponies here and some torque there. Neways, I will holla at you guys later... -Peace- :jump:

Attachments

· Registered
9 Posts
Well, I'm finally back in the states and after a little over 2 months I get to drive my SE-R again. I'm taking her in this morning to get the oil changed and all the preventive maintenance goodies before an 11 hour road trip next week.

As soon as the wife gets back into town with the camera, I should have some pics up.

Clayton

· Registered
13 Posts
Altima SE-R mods??

Ok,

I have this pretty Altima SE-R, now has 5,000 miles on her and I am ready to start exploring performance mods, but have found trouble with NISMO and
AEM (same product-rewrapped). I just got off the phone with AEM and asked about a Cold Air instake, they gave me a part number 21-545. They updated there web site while on the phone with them that included the 2005 V6 and off I went to hunt down a local dealer for my weekend project.--part number has been discontinued-five dealers. Then I call a Nissan dealer, they said that NISMO COLD AIR is not available for SE-R. It is the same engine than the 3.5 SE, looks like the same factory air intake kit, why woudl both of these companies exclude the SE-R? Are they planning something different? or just to new.

These is an every-day car for me, so it needs to be street legal. And have not interest in settting this car to sound like those Civics driving around with the coffee can hanging off the back.

Hit list to be installed in order:

1. Cold Air Kit (Company: unknown)--suggestions welcome.

2. Headers with cats, new down pipe.

3. Performance Cam.

i FUGURE THAT this will keep me happy for a while. :)

anyone have any sourse for a ECU piggy back system. Like the venom, but is for older cars. --have to stay legal.

· Registered
44 Posts
CTDan said:
Ok,

I have this pretty Altima SE-R, now has 5,000 miles on her and I am ready to start exploring performance mods, but have found trouble with NISMO and
AEM (same product-rewrapped). I just got off the phone with AEM and asked about a Cold Air instake, they gave me a part number 21-545. They updated there web site while on the phone with them that included the 2005 V6 and off I went to hunt down a local dealer for my weekend project.--part number has been discontinued-five dealers. Then I call a Nissan dealer, they said that NISMO COLD AIR is not available for SE-R. It is the same engine than the 3.5 SE, looks like the same factory air intake kit, why woudl both of these companies exclude the SE-R? Are they planning something different? or just to new.

These is an every-day car for me, so it needs to be street legal. And have not interest in settting this car to sound like those Civics driving around with the coffee can hanging off the back.

Hit list to be installed in order:

3. Performance Cam.

i FUGURE THAT this will keep me happy for a while. :)

anyone have any sourse for a ECU piggy back system. Like the venom, but is for older cars. --have to stay legal.

- Hey Dan, I just got my cold air intake installed (Nismo) at my Nissan dealership. It was NOT specified for the SE-R model, and I was told that there would NOT be one in the Nismo line up. Since the standard 3.5 v6 SE model and the SE-R model are pratically the same, they (Nismo) figured it wouldnt do any good to make two different intakes for the same engine. Now, Im talking a "street legal" type of intake mind you... But, I can assure you that the Nismo intake is awesome. Wasnt expensive either. Install for it was about 100 bucks when all said and done. (The GROWL this thing puts out now is sexy as hell!) Just like you, I have been avid about finding headers and anything else from Nismo... Come to find out that since the SE-R is such a new model, Nismo just took their time in releasing the complete line of parts to the open market. If you can find a dealership that actually stocks Nismo parts, then you might have someone there that would have some inside info on the Nismo catalog. Its a pain I know, but worth it. I can tell you for sure that Nismo has headers (stainless steel) for the SE-R and they have just put them out for the market. I can even give you a parts number for it by Tuesday, cause I have an appointment to go get my sway bars installed. But, I can tell you that once I found a dealership that stocks the parts in-house, and of course found someone there that knew a lil something about his job... it helped out a great deal and I was able to start my upgrades. I feel your pain man, and if there's anyway I can help you out just holla at me. Good luck!

· NPM Executive Editor
232 Posts
CTDan said:
part number has been discontinued-five dealers. Then I call a Nissan dealer, they said that NISMO COLD AIR is not available for SE-R.

Keep in mind most dealerships have the old school mentality that hates aftermarket performance parts. Who ever you spoke with doesn't know jack! Both the AEM CAI and NISMO will fit on your car. The AEM has CARB exemption the NISMO doesn't. If you really want just a hint of noise gain with an intake and a 5 wheel hp gain you should go with the JWT POP charger.

CTDan said:

3. Performance Cam.
For headers both Stillen and Hotshot make them. Stillen's do not have a cat Hotshot's do.

NPM Project Altima Headers/

For cams there's the NISMO cams or JWT.

NPM Projet Altima CAMS

You really should go to that project car page ;)

Stay tuned with our updates for our Altima SE-R project also!

41 - 60 of 220 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.