Nissan Forum banner
21 - 40 of 220 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
js bought a code red se-r 6 spd 3 days ago. love it so far, but cant test the car completely until i have the engine properly broken in. and js for all you guys out there who are worried about performance like i was. I had a 1993 rx7 (FD3S) with over 10k in mods. car did low 12s in the 1/4 mile easy. and i can honestly say i am impressed with the se-r's performance and the torque of a vq block of the amount i have so far seen. and thats saying alot considering i havent revved over 4k yet. :)

· Registered
11 Posts
for about 1000 miles, dont rev above 4000 rpm in any gear. Keep ur speed and gear always different. What I mean by that is sometimes run 40 mph near 4000 rpm as opposed to always running @ 40 mph in 4th gear @ 2000 rpm. The break in period is to properly ware in the seals so they last longer. Its the concept if you work them easier and more gradually in the beginning, they will last longer in the long run. That is the same with alot of things too. This is what i think they mean, i am not 100% sure. Hope this helps.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
NismoAltimaSER said:
I have taken new and old mustang gts my friends s2000, gti's, type R integras, g35's sedans and Coupes and much more.
Any mod's done to yours? Were the other cars stock or did they have some work done?

Just wondering which direction to take mine in if I want it to perform equally.

· NPM Executive Editor
232 Posts
Clayton_SE-R said:
Just a question. I see people always talking about breaking their engines in adn what not. How does that work exactly (as in what is the process), and what are the repricussions of not following those steps?
The most important thing to be worried about while breaking an engine in is the rings on the pistons not seating. Petroleum oil (non-synthetic) oil is suggested for breaking in a motor. Synthetic oil is considered to be too slippery to allow for proper piston ring seating. Most manufacturers say the break in of a motor should take between 1500-2000 miles. Race motors can get about 20-30 min at low RPM on a dyno.

There's a school of thought that says you should break in an engine by driving it hard. With proper engine warm up the idea is that you get the piston rings to seat as quickly as possible and reduce the chance of contaminating the oil with combustion gasses and other combustion byproducts. Driving an engine under load (high gear lower RPM) is a good way to do this. The idea here is that by driving an engine easy during the break in process you’re actually prolonging piston ring seating and doing more harm. The acid and combustion gasses that go past the rings to the engine oil can cause wear on other engine components and cause power losses in a motor.

All the "wear in" during piston ring seating usually takes place under the first few miles of the motor so it’s important to change the oil soon after you buy a car. Some manufacturers recommend that you change oil after 600 miles but I look at it the old school way. Oil is cheaper than engines. Most of you reading this probably have more than 100 miles on your motor but I would change the oil as soon as possible with a non-synthetic. After the motor has broken in at 1500-2000 miles its safe to switch to your favorite synthetic.

This is a highly debated topic, so break your engine in how you want. I broke my Altima SE-R in hard. We’ll see what the numbers look like when I put it on the dyno.

· Registered
9 Posts
SR20AL said:
This is a highly debated topic, so break your engine in how you want. I broke my Altima SE-R in hard. We’ll see what the numbers look like when I put it on the dyno.
Well, I unknowingly broke my SE-R in my way. I wish I had asked this question sooner as I now have 1900 miles on my car (atleast I think, it's been a month since I've driven it). I had planned on buying the car when my lease ran out, but now I think I have changed my mind. I think I'll buy a new one and take care of it the right way.

When I get back to the states in a few months, should I automatically take my car in for an oil change and maybe some other preventative work? I am having a friend take it out once a week while I'm gone, but that is it. Also, do you always put premium gas in your SE-Rs? Does it make a difference.

Thanks,
Clayton

· Registered
2 Posts
Proud new owner

I just got my SE-R Yesterday, this car is very very NICE. As you all know. Wish I could have gotten the manual, but the wife won't drive one. So it's' all good.

I cannot believe the steam under the hood of this thing. How is everybody going about their break-in period. I talked to Nissan Head Technician yesterday and they said the oil has a break-in additive and recommended changing after 500 miles. To any oil you want.

But still said to keep under 4K for about 1500-2000 miles.

I've taken her over that a few times already and try to vary my speed and gear as much as possible.

Give me some insights please..

· Banned
6,855 Posts
I just want to congratulate all of you, I have only had the opportunity to sit in one, not drive it. But let me tell ya! The style is so bloody clean! Unlike many "sport sedans" out today the se-r has smoked tails instead on chrome. I am a huge fan of black taillight.... head lights... wheels. And they covered all my taste on the se-r. Also I love the 350z, but im not a fan of 2 seaters because I like to have the room. Well, what’s better than a 4 door with the same engine? Nothing :thumbup: 4 door 350z. Enjoy.

· Registered
3 Posts
I have a smoke auto.....

I have smoke with auto... anyone around Chicago needing a deal on one let me know!
I have a few on my lot.
I have put 538 miles on this bad boy in a week!!!! Fast....5500 rpm in the 5th is nice!
Don't buy a auto without TCS,
if you live by snow or rain!

· Registered
2 Posts
I drove the Max, not impressed at all... drove this one and took it home the same day.
Got the Silver one & I love it!!! Black and Gray interior w/ TCS and haven’t seen another one on the road. I'm from the old school when all factory accessories were the way to go, so no plans for mods. I don’t think the car needs them, really. As far as the rims are concerned… love them, would not trade them for the world, but I might get another set for the winter. I personally like the gray w/ the silver paint and the matching light bezels complement the colors. Considering Black Pearl Badges and tint… OK those would be the only mods!!!

· Registered
5 Posts
I just got that same car on a 24 month lease :cheers:
24 hours later I am wondering if I could get out of the lease since something is just not right with the heater/defogger. ;((

Why do the windows fog up when you turn on the heat and then when you switch the knob to 'Defoger mode' the A/C light comes on. ??
The windows never seem to defog totally.

Any insight would be appreciated.

TIA

Annette

· Registered
3 Posts
A/C

Annette said:
I just got that same car on a 24 month lease :cheers:
24 hours later I am wondering if I could get out of the lease since something is just not right with the heater/defogger. ;((

Why do the windows fog up when you turn on the heat and then when you switch the knob to 'Defoger mode' the A/C light comes on. ??
The windows never seem to defog totally.

Any insight would be appreciated.

TIA

Annette
Annette

The A/C will be on antytime the defogger is on so don't sweat
it all the late motal cars are like that. Turn the REC. off if it's on. Good luck. Is yours red?

Walter

· Registered
5 Posts
Walter Darnell said:
The A/C will be on antytime the defogger is on so don't sweat
it all the late motal cars are like that. Turn the REC. off if it's on. Good luck. Is yours red?

Walter
Walter, I have done just that.
In fact the A/C kicks in on default as soon as you switch the knob to that 'Defogger mode'.
What irritates me is that as soon as it clears out and you turn the A/C off it starts fogging up again..urggg
Oh well, I am relieved to know it's not some sort of defect..LOL

I got the SE-R in SILVER not red..hahaha

I got it on a lease since I wasn't sure what to get after driving a Stealth TT for ten years now and loving that car to pieces.
At least now I have 24 months to drive the SE-R and think of what car to buy next since I can't think of a new performance car that has room for a big dog in the back and is within my budget. ;(

In fact, after renting an SUV (Trail Blazer to be exact) and 'white knuckling' the entire drive I knew I could never drive one of those unforgiving tanks around (Dog loves 'em though).
So much so that it has become quite the mystery why the average American enjoys driving those things. Very little room for error especially on turns.
It's either that or I must be the worse driver..
Yikes..I had some moments when I came this close to hugging a tree.
Never again!

Sooo, I needed to start thinking with my head not with my heart and decided to get a sedan that has some life in it, or better yet anything but a Camry..
I test drove the SE-R and the Maxima (Dissapointingly I let my B/F talk me into an automatic while my heart was on that black 6 speed)
I love the fierce acceleration and handling.
Though I gotta admit that coming from an AWD/AWS it takes some getting used to the Torque steering on turns.
Oh, lastly that 8 speeker Bose is mind-blowing.

Ok, ok, I have gushed enough for one afternoon.

Thanks again Walter.

Stay tuned for pics. ;-))

· Registered
6 Posts
i bought my se-r 2 weeks ago. we went to buy a 2.5 model. the salesman asked me if i would like to test drive the se-r model. i drove it and fell in love with it. how many altimas se-r's were their made for 2005? anybody know? by the way i bought a black one.

· Registered
5 Posts
Picked up Smoke SE-R on Monday 3-14

I originally got an auto, but called dealer back when I got home and told him to find me a 6sp. They agreed and I got it on Monday. The car is very fun, BUT it is now in the shop it had to be towed from my house. I went to Cleveland Friday night 'bout 60 miles from home. There are a couple of fun curvey roads I was racing around on, when coming to an end, my brake pedal went mush. I had to down shift and e-brake to stop. This car has 250 miles on it. Dealer says he can't replicate the problem and the guy who took it off the flatbed says when it sat idling pedal would go to the floor???? If they can't find the problem, what do I do? I am afraid to push it. What if it happens again. I crash.

Anyway it is smoke 6 sp w/no brakes.

I love the car though.

21 - 40 of 220 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.