Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a 92 SE-R right now that I'd like to purchase. It has a few problems that are annoying that I'd like to have fixed after getting the car. I just wanna know a ballpark amount as to how much it'll cost to get everything fixed. Would also like to know how hard it is to do this work myself.

1) Driver side door lock - The key won't work in the lock. If unlocked from the inside, the door opens as normal. The owner says it's the lock cylinder itself that's bad. That's all I know about it.

2) Busted rear tail light - The leftside rear tail light has a busted lens cover (the leftmost yellow section is gone). I assume I'll have to replace the entire module?

3) Trunk release - The interior trunk release lever doesn't release the trunk latch. The gas cover release still functions. Thinking a cable might be loose or broken or something.

4) Right Side Mirror Broken - Glass is busted. Housing looks fine. Can I replace just the glass or will I have to replace the whole thing?

That's about it. The car looks and runs great otherwise at 84K miles. Asking price is $2800. Does that sound fair?
Looking foward to joining yall in loving these cars :)

-patchy

·
Registered
23 Posts
$2800 is a good price but see if he/she will take
$2000 so you can search the junkyard for the
parts that need to be fix. You will get your money
worth.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hello,

As to repair costs here are my estimates, these are not major problems.

Right side mirror, you should be able to get just the glass, try Pep Boys (Motormight makes replacement mirror glass) @$20 or less.

Door lock problem, I would suspect that the lock cylinder is not broke. Anytime a slim jim is used on that car a little pin pops out of place and causes the condition you discribed, if that is the case the pin might be in the door still (free fix). Worse case you need a new lock cylinder @$40.

Trunk realese not working, either the cable broke or someone closed the trunk while pulling the release(personal experience) either way should not be a hard fix. Remove the rear seat and climb into the trunk and check it out. Cable price est. $45-$100 new around $20 used. If the trunk opens from the outside its the cable.

Broken tail light, you will need to replace the whole assembly. New @ $70-$100. Used would probably be about $30-$45.

There is a Nissan junkyard in Rancho Cordova, their prices are OK and they are helpful.

If the body of the car is OK and the motor and transmission are in good condition, $2800 is a good price, SE-R prices in the Bay Area can be pretty steep.

Some of us Nissan people get together sometimes BBQs and stuff. Hope it works out. Let me know how it goes and if you need the info abut the junkyard.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the tip about the Nissan junkyard. The plan was to hit the junkyards anyway. Didn't know there was one that specializes in Nissans.

The trunk works with the key, just not the interior trunk release lever. So it's the cable then?

And yep, the engine runs smooth, and the tranny is in good order now. Owner had 5th gear popout, but spent a grand to overhaul the tranny and it's all good now.

I might join your yahoo groups once i get my se-r. Might be fun to meet some other bay area nissan guys :)

edit: Oh btw, If I replaced the bad lock, wouldn't it be keyed differently and I couldn't use my old key to open the lock? Having 2 keys for one car would suck. I was thinking maybe I could just swap out the passenger side lock (works fine) with the driver's side. That way at least I don't have to crawl in the car from the passenger side. And I'd hardly ever unlock the passenger side with the keys anyway.... just a thought

-patchy

·
freakish poster
1,236 Posts
I got my mirror from a JY for $5. Put a screwdriver under the bottom of the glass, tilt it out, then lift the glass up.

For the door lock try a shot of WD-40 and try to get to the linkages etc.

·
Registered
51 Posts
About the door lock, new cylinders are usually sold in sets so you can replace both and they will have the same key.

If you do buy the car and are not in a big rush for some of these fixes, I have a "spare" B13 sentra that I will be junking pretty soon.

Well I hope all goes well, we need more Sentra peps here in the Bay.

·
Registered
94 Posts
yeah, i'd agree that $2800 would be good price. i paid $3000 for mine. i bought from a guy in SF and it needs a paint job and a new clutch. and shortly after i bought it the rear shocks went out. i think i prolly could have paid less for it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts