Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 92 SE-R and I am looking to eventually do things to it, but I am not really finding too much online at least. Are there any suggestions? The motor is totally stock. I want to build an NA motor. Like I said I am open to suggestions.

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
Do the usual, intake, header, exhaust. That's about it for NA without doing extensive internal work. Cams are pretty easy but aren't cheap. Advance your timing to 19* if you haven't already. New torque mounts help as well as ES inserts. If you want it to stop, you can upgrade the fronts to AD22VF calipers and rotors, put stainless hoses on all four breaks, Motul RBF 600 break fluid. Lots of suspension upgrades, including ES bushings all around, replacing your sway bars ans putting in strut tower braces. Weld the tranny case, put in a nice clutch, lightweight flywheel, synthetic fluids like Motul 300 gear oil or Redline MT 90 in the tranny, Mobil 1 in the crankcase. Lots of stuff you can do. Before you spend a penny, read all you can at www.SE-R.net www.sentra.net www.nissanperformancemag.com <--- read all the back issues. Do some searches here and at www.sr20deforum.com. You'll learn a lot quick.

·
neutral handling is cool
180 Posts
Intake...AEM just came out with a CAI for the SE-R, but it's like $300. Try SR20Development.com, they usually have good prices. I got my Hotshot header from them for $410 as opposed to $450 everywhere else. I got good results from a Jim Wolf Technology Pop-Charger intake(5-9 hp all over the curve). They are really easy to install and pretty cheap costwise, but good quality. JWT also has a header, but I don't know anything about it. I went with a hotshot header and that gave me good numbers(6-11 hp all over the curve). Exhaust...I went with a pacesetter, but i wish I hadn't. HKS makes a good one and SR20Development has a custom made one. All you really need is a mandrel bent exhaust, accept no substitutes. Right now, Turbo magazine is doing a Project Sentra SE-R. They got like 5 hp from Underdrive pulleys from Unorthodox Racing. I'm just throwing ideas out there. Check out SE-R.net for more ideas. I'm doing cams next after a suspension is in place. have fun...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I am going to research it before I do anything. Most I want to do now is change the steering. Feels like I am driving a school bus. Is there any particular companies out there other than Stillen that make stuff for these cars? Do you have any links to anything?

·
neutral handling is cool
180 Posts
SR20Development.com, JimWolfTechnology.com, HKSUSA.com, AEMPower.com. Just a few. By the way, intake/header/exhaust should give you about 135-140 hp at the wheels with 125-130 ft-lbs. of torque. Street cams by JWT have been shown to give 160 hp, but not much more torque. I have 142 hp and 128 ft-lbs at the wheels right now. For steering feel, check tire pressures and inspect the struts. I just finished putting brembo replacement rotors on all four wheels because until I get bigger wheels, I wasn't sure about the AD22VF brakes fitting under my wheels, they should fit, but it was expensive and I didn't want to risk it right now. The brembos seem well after 2 weeks of driving them hard. Also, I have my timing set at 17 degrees. I've heard that's optimal until you get a Jim Wolf ECU, then 19 degrees is optimal, but you have to use premium gas(92 or higher). Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
If by school bus you mean that you've got excessive body roll when you turn, do the ES bushings and replace your sway bars. However, if you mean the steering itself sucks, what's the problems? Hard to turn, maybe your pump is shot. I feel like the PS is perfect. I had a '93 XE before and it felt like the steering could use a little more umpf, and when I got the SE-R I was digging how much better the PS is. If you want to stiffen the front up, you can get a strut tower brace just about anywhere. www.nopionline.com has some cheap ones.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts