Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm new here and was wondering if anyone wanted to help me out with ideas of what could be going on with my car. I have a 2005 SE-R, no mods done, it does not have a sound system, it has about 38,000 miles on it. Recently, and intermittently, when I step on the gas harder than normal, it gets that rotten egg smell. I called the dealership and they said the check engine light should come on if there is a problem with the catalytic converter. Is there another reason why cars get that rotten egg smell? Also another problem I just noticed tonight was that when I used the controls to put my windows up, my headlights dimmed. I tested this about 3 times to make sure I wasn't going crazy and each time I used the controls the headlights dimmed. Could the rotten egg smell and the lack of power go together with a part that might be breaking? The inside window controls did get wet a long time ago but I have not had this issue with the lights dimming along with my using the window controls until tonight. My battery died about 1000 miles ago and I bought a new one that should be good for the next 7 years so I don't think that is the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,244 Posts
So did you get the alternator output checked ?
the battery could be not completely charged or the new battery is not good. Get it checked as well.Just because it new doesn't mean it cant go bad and lose a cell.

·
Registered
57 Posts
id go to autozone and ask the have your alternator checked, i aggree with ian but i think its more likely to be the alternator than a bad battery as long as you got it at a reputable auto parts store. but about the rotten egg smell se-r's run really rich the only way to fix that would be to get an a/f controller like an apex-i neo. but i dont know if your cars voltage is running so low as to effect the efficency of the coil packs and ignition system. just get the alternator checked out and go from there

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tip. I will get the alternator checked out. Hopefully it won't need replacing. I had a '98 Sentra before this car and the alternator went bad in that one. I guess if it is the alternator I am going to be done with buying Nissan's! :confused:

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,244 Posts
We brought two of these in 97, the Sentra was still on its original Alternator when sold this summer, the Se-R has had one re-built one. Not bad for 11 yrs x 2 !!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts