Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 2004 SE OFF ROAD. It has the tow package but now reciever hitch. Will the standard nissan hitch not fit because of the Ranchho shocks? I need some help in finding out what hitch to get and will my weight limit still be 9100 even though the hitch is not welded to the frame?..thanks..Tom

·
Yea, I'm a freak..
560 Posts
Tom, I would first look at the window sticker to see if the receiver hitch is listed. It's my understanding that the hitch comes with the BT package. Currently Nissan offers a class III and a class IV hitch and both will work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks...I have the Tow Mode button on the lower dash. The sticker lists the lower final gear ratio and tow haul mode. However next to the discription of 'Rancho Shocks' it says "(not avail with tow pkg" I do have the rancho shocks as do all SE OFF Road. I assume that with all of that, I just need the reciever hitch and I will be good to go????

·
Yea, I'm a freak..
560 Posts
All models have the Tow "button" but that does not mean that it has the actual Big Tow package. The BT package includes receiver hitch, different gear ratio 3:36 (same as OR package), upgraded battery, pre-wiring for trailer braking, tow mirrors, tranni temp gauge and I think a larger tranni cooler. Without the BT package you are "limited" to the 7400lbs (give or take).

If you want to add a hitch then you will need to add a relay or two depending on what lights/trailer funtions you want to operate. By default the traielr brake lights and blinkers will work without the relays. Oh and if you don't already know, the trailer harness is attached to the inside of the rear bumper - should be a large plug with a cap on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks...yes I do have the wiring harness there. Lucklily, the OR package has the lower gear ratio, and the VDC. I will just need to check on the trans oil cooler. I called Nissan yesterday....they seem to think I can just add the hitch since I have the OR package and I will be up to 9100 lbs. I am taking it in today to let them look and see what is under the hood as far as coolers, etc. If I have them, then I am good to go....if not, then I have the 7000 limit. Thanks for the help...Tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts