Nissan Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
while i was installing my intake i noticed that there is a screen attached to the maf. my guess is that air would flow a little better with the screen removed. any thoughts?

·
Banned
126 Posts
i wouldnt remove it.... Seriously, the screen cant reduce the flow of air that much...
im guessing the ENGINEERS who developed it, had a reason for putting it there, and they are a "little" smarter than you...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Platinum200 said:
im guessing the ENGINEERS who developed it, had a reason for putting it there, and they are a "little" smarter than you...
ah yes, the same engineers who designed the shitty airbox, restrictive exhaust manifold, and the performance hindering exhaust and muffler. if we all thought the same way you did, there would be no nissan performance mag, no mike kojima (he'd just be a regular guy), no forums etc etc. those godly engineers would have developed the perfect car that was both fast and economical and we wouldn't need to tune them or buy any performance parts. sorry buddy you lose. anybody else have any thoughts?

·
Banned
395 Posts
chongo said:
ah yes, the same engineers who designed the shitty airbox, restrictive exhaust manifold, and the performance hindering exhaust and muffler. if we all thought the same way you did, there would be no nissan performance mag, no mike kojima (he'd just be a regular guy), no forums etc etc. those godly engineers would have developed the perfect car that was both fast and economical and we wouldn't need to tune them or buy any performance parts. sorry buddy you lose. anybody else have any thoughts?
how does he lose? the engineers over at nissan werent trying to make a fast economical car, just economical, so they made that airbox restrictive, the muffler restricted(no normal driver wants to hear a loud ass exhaust)..............it seems to me that no matter what anyone tells u, youre gonna do what u want.....platinum gave u some advice and u took it the wrong way. if u think that removing the screen gives u better airflow, then take it off.....see what happens. its a free world dude

·
Banned
126 Posts
exactly... How could a SCREEN drastically reduce airflow?
HAHA
umm, my suggestions to you:
Read a book
Learn how to distinguish "helpful tips" from "bashing"
Go examine a screen. The point of a SCREEN is to LET air flow, and forbid the passing of particles...

·
Banned
126 Posts
oh also,
thank you so much SR20 805 and SLAMED150, these people have showed that they have common sense. Ofcourse, There are needless and "restrictive" things on cars.
but, Im sure once you remove that "HARMFUL" screen you will run low 9's at the track, and beat all those Supras and RX-7's that left their screen on ;)
punk

·
PB JELLY TIME!
1,484 Posts
This is dedicated to Platinum200:

Useless dribble removed

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
why are you guys making fun of chongo? You think he's wrong in some way. I'm sure none of you guys know what that damn thing's for. If you really want to get rid of the screen, do it. It's probably just there to protect the MAF sensor from any flying objects that could potentially get past the filter...

I have more posts than all of you combined so therefore I'm better than you. How mature does that sound?

·
freakish poster
1,236 Posts
Remove the damned screen! Seriously, the air filter blocks debris, no? This mod is a common one with the S-10 boys. Ford Rangers use to have them but they don't anymore. However if you remove it you've got to be careful bc the MAF is easily broken so unless you know what you're doing don't do it because it could easily turn from a "free" mod to an expensive MAF replacement event. If you get any gains they would be minimal if any. I think the S-10 with the 4.3 V6 gained like only 1hp (not positive but I do recall it was a trivial amount) and this was only in the upper range.

·
Banned
126 Posts
1997 GA16DE said:
why are you guys making fun of chongo? You think he's wrong in some way. I'm sure none of you guys know what that damn thing's for. If you really want to get rid of the screen, do it. It's probably just there to protect the MAF sensor from any flying objects that could potentially get past the filter...

I have more posts than all of you combined so therefore I'm better than you. How mature does that sound?
well, you just earned your cub-scout "merit" badge for standing up for him... but, if you had any kind of attention span and READ the whole thread; you would see that he (chongo) "calls me out" first... I was being helpful, when he wanted to "flex his internet muscles" i did too... only, im slightly more intelligent, and i don't lose these word-battles...

crap removed

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
lemme see, lemme see, lemme seee, oh yea, I did happen to read this whole thread. And....WAIT A SEC...it seems that you threw the first fist. But being the person who doesn't care [voice of a 5 year old]"who started it"[/voice of a 5 year old]. Maybe we should flame you for asking a silly question like this. Lets remember, we are all here to shed light on the modification questions that others have. Yes the nissan engineers have designed an airbox that is specific for silence and a quick filter change. That's why we have to go in and screw a cone filter to the intake that is specific for air flow.

God forbid we were to use our minds every once and a while......

B

·
0 Posts
Plain and simple

The screen is there for a purpose dont fuck with it, I agree with Platinum. Leave it alone... or else buy a simialar one at a junk yard and try...'

Also, It wont matter, the curves in the pipe, kill the velocity of the air. Removing it will do nothing, and, these are economical cars, not some corvette, trans-am, or ferrari, they arent ment to go fast, or be loud. Queit and good on gas. Now, leave it alone!!!

-lata

·
Registered
762 Posts
well im not in this who owns who thing but i did remove the screen about 6 monthns ago and she is still running strong on the same MAF. i put the intake on at the same time i removed the screen so i couldnt tell ya if it adds HP. plus when i looked at the screen before i took it off there wasnt any large particals on it. so no to much is gettin through the filter.

·
Banned
126 Posts
well, thats good. Atleast we know nothing bad happened. Hopefully, chongo's experiment will go as good...

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
Platinum200 said:
Maybe you should Take a WRITING CLASS so I can read your posts and not get a headache.
Yeah, I'm sure that reading all those big words is way over your level. Oh and by the way I happen to have 2 semesters of writing composition behind me and I'm sure those 4.0s must really hurt that head of yours.

I wish to god I never sink to your level (guess I would need to get hit in the head with a brick to achieve that).

BTW, you never owned me and you never will. You think little high school jokes will be a solution?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.