Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
4,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Ironically enough I found this outstanding pic in an ebay auction for one of those "turbo whistles" lol

you can delete it if you see fit, but many people know a turbo adds HP, yet they have no idea what is involved.

·
My ass, your face
3,520 Posts
there are different types of setups for turbo kits, but that schematic gives you the "general" idea on how it would work.

·
Banned
4,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cHoPs said:
there are different types of setups for turbo kits, but that schematic gives you the "general" idea on how it would work.
exactly. its not extremely detailed and it gives a nice simple "laymens terms" idea.

rock on ebay, rock on :thumbup:

·
Banned
4,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
on a v-6 you have 2 intake manifolds, there is a turbo attached to each with their own intercoolers and manifolds.

if you have a turbo feeding into a turbo that is called duel charging and should only be used by the pro's because its extremely easy to blow up an engine.

i believe this is correct. any one else care to elaborate?

·
3 bar MAP
1,381 Posts
pete? said:
if you have a turbo feeding into a turbo that is called duel charging and should only be used by the pro's because its extremely easy to blow up an engine.

i believe this is correct. any one else care to elaborate?
there are many types of turbo systems...off the top of my head:
-single turbo
-twin turbo systems
-sequential turbo systems
-compounded turbo systems
-electrical compounded turbo sytems
-variable geometry turbo systems

a lot of newer turbocharger technology can be found in the diesel industry :D

·
Banned
4,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Ben said:
Where would the maf go? Is it before the turbo?
it would be on the same pipe as the air intake (MAF is the device used to measure air intake)

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
pete? said:
it would be on the same pipe as the air intake (MAF is the device used to measure air intake)
You can also put it in the piping between the intercooler and the engine. Doesn't matter where it is, as long as the air is metered before it enters the combustion chamber, so the ECU knows how much fuel to let the injectors spray. A Blow-Through MAF system does not require the Blow Off Valve to be recirculated, like a Draw Through system would. Unless of course you want to blow clouds of black smoke during a shift....... :)

·
Banned
4,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
psuLemon said:
im pretty sure that pictures is from howstuffworks.com but its a good generalization
^ didnt even think of that. i just hosted it on my photo bucket so the ebay people wouldnt delete it and then i have a pretty useful thread with the pic being a :redx: lol.

so if anyone knows for sure where this came from please, by all means post it up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
i wanted to know if i could put a undercarriage turbo on a 1983 nissan 280zx datson its not a turbo but i would like to put stage 2 and stage 3 turbo on it...i also want the turbo that goes on the top but i cant remember what you call it...well if anyone knows please let me know...thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Zen31ZR said:
You can also put it in the piping between the intercooler and the engine. Doesn't matter where it is, as long as the air is metered before it enters the combustion chamber, so the ECU knows how much fuel to let the injectors spray.
I must desagree... the maf must, go in the filter, before the turbo, and never inside the system pressure.
Let me explain, if u put the MAF inside the pressure system, i mean in the tubes after the turbo and before the engine, u r gonna have wrong meditions, and if u have more PSI then u r gonna have more failure of ur car, cause the maf is not working with air, is working with pressure.

Sorry my little english.

In spanish maybe i could explain better.
Los sistemas presurizados no tiene flujo, y el MAF entre mas libras de presion reciba, se calienta y malinforma a la ECU, simplemente basta ver un 300zx donde tiene el MAF, en el flitro. no despues del turbo. Saludos.

·
Pivot 180
2,258 Posts
You can put the MAF between the turbo and the throttle, its called a blow through system but it needs a MAF with a high limit (z32 afm) and an ecu retune.
Some aftermarket fuel management systems can utilise a MAP sensor

·
Registered
61 Posts
"on a v-6 you have 2 intake manifolds, there is a turbo attached to each with their own intercoolers and manifolds."

Pete?

You are partially right on this one. Allow me to cite two examples that are the exception to your statement...1. 84-89 300ZX turbo and the revered Buick Grand National. Both have V6s with one turbo. The Z's turbo is located on the driver's side. The passenger side manifold has a crossover pipe coming out of it going over the top of the bell housing to the turbo.
The Grand National's turbo is located between the radiator and the engine, up top, slightly off center, in front of the passenger side head.
I also believe that the 81 Pontiac Trans am had a turbo 4.9L V8 where the single turbo was in the front.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts