Nissan Forum banner

Scanners?

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  dangerm0use 
#1 ·
What type of obd scanner do i need for a 93 sentra? i want to buy my own from kragen or other store that carries it but would like to know what i need. how much does it cost? are they any good? thanks for the help.

#2 ·
well, honestly, you won't be able to find one, especially at a parts store. kragen being the equivalent to advance auto parts, the only thing you'll find is an OBD-2 scanner for about $150. nissan didn't use OBD-2 on sentras until 1995. they might sell em for older GMs and Fords, but I'd lay money on not finding one for Nissan. I've seen code scanner kits labeled "for import vehicles" but don't waste your money. They cover toyota, honda, and nissan, but all they give you to check a nissan is a small screwdriver and instructions on how to do it at the ECU. well we already know how to do that and didn't need to blow $30 on something that's of absolutely no use to us.

in the FSM, nissan mentions this tool called the "consult" that plugs into the data port, but good luck getting one of those. I think the diagnostic port in the fuse panel is for something only a nissan dealer would have.

you can pull codes yourself, and it's extremely easy. takes about 5 minutes. and it's free. and unfortunately, I think that's the only way of doing it.

Dan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.