Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dont know how many of you might be interested in this, but I took my X-Trail 2.0 offroading with the guys from my Land Rover club last weekend.
You have to bear in mind that my X-T is completely standard except for AT2 tyres, and that this was a trip for "newbies", so wasnt the most demanding of off roading. However this was around and across Salisbury Plain, which is used by the British Army as a test and exercise ground. Those of you that know Salisbury will know that it can be a car killer. Few come away without something broken - in my case rear silencer broken at front flange. It does sound nice now :D:D

As this was a Land Rover group, the X-T had to become a Land rover for the day :D.

Here are a few pics.

here is a slideshow if you want to see more ;).

On that note - can anyone answer the Q - does the 2.0 X_T need the back box, or can I just fit an extension onto the centre section to route the exaust to the rear of the car, and does the lack of back box effect the emmisions?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was a brill day out - but the X_T does suffer two main limitations as standard (210/16 tyres dont help) - one is ground clearance - I was dragging its bum along the ruts most of the time and the other being the air intake being right at the front - if you get into any deep water, by the time you see the bow wave over the bonnet, the chances are it is too late and water may be entering the intake :(:(:(.

I would suggest fitting the largest size AT tyres you can if off-roading, to give the best ground clearance - What are the biggest on standard rims?

·
# 0001 Bonavista Owner
509 Posts
I would suggest fitting the largest size AT tyres you can if off-roading, to give the best ground clearance - What are the biggest on standard rims?
In Canada, the Bonavista Edition comes with 17 rims as standard equipment.

Other Nissan car models in Canada (Altima) come with 18 inch as standard and they are inter-changeable with the X-T.

Beyond that, you're into an "after-market" rim...

Cheers = Roger

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its not the rim size, but the Tyre Dia diameter that is critical. For off-roading a larger tyre gives greater side wall flexing, side wall grip and the bigger the dia, gives built-in lift, and therefore ground clearance. Hence the Q on the biggest Diameter tyre on the standard (UK) rims.

·
# 0001 Bonavista Owner
509 Posts
Sorry - misread your question......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts