Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been scoping the engines to drop into my 240, and I saw that the S15 has about 30 more HP than the S14 black top, but its about 1g more, well thats what Heavy Throttle is pricing each. Do you guys know any other places to check when it comes to purchasing the engine?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
From what I have been told and read, it is more cost effective to buy an S13/14 DET, and spend the extra money on a bigger turbo/intercooler etc. The motors respond very well to upgrades.

·
Registered
47 Posts
you can get any of them to work in any S-chassis car. Generally if your going to do a lot of tuning to the engine, most people prefer the earlier S13 Redtop, or blacktop b/c they didn't have VTC which sometimes complicates things. Plus they are a lot cheaper to start off with. The bonus with the S15 motor (besides a few more technological advances) is the Lower mileage :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
what kind of comlications do u run into with the s14 when u build it up where does the vtc come in a friend of mine had a civic he was building and he took the vtech out of the motor for some reason? thanks

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Nismo240 said:
if you buy any cam gears, it will eliminate VTC.
The S14 stock cams can hold up to 400whp right? if so......would VTC help having 400WHP vs different cams but still at 400whp (lets say the set up is almost the same).

Its just something i wonder and havent found

·
i'm an asshole
1,859 Posts
i'm not sure about that, i've never thought about it. i guess it may be helpful to a certain amount of power, but after that it would be useless. i'll try to find out some info on it.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Nismo240 said:
i'm not sure about that, i've never thought about it. i guess it may be helpful to a certain amount of power, but after that it would be useless. i'll try to find out some info on it.

Because im thinking on building an S14 SR for an S14 chasis, but i want 400WHP tops and if the S13 SR has the same performance as the S14 SR, than i would take the S13 one, but if there is a good difference in response and performance because of the S14 cams, than id go with the S14 SR.

Thanks Nismo240!

·
i'm an asshole
1,859 Posts
well, i'm probably going to go with an S13 SR for my S14 when i get one because their cheaper to get and some mechanical issues, like upgrading the cams and cam gears. i don't really think its going to be worth paying almost a $1000 more to pay for a motor that only has 20 more horsepower. in my opinion, i don't think that VTC is really worth having.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Nismo240 said:
well, i'm probably going to go with an S13 SR for my S14 when i get one because their cheaper to get and some mechanical issues, like upgrading the cams and cam gears. i don't really think its going to be worth paying almost a $1000 more to pay for a motor that only has 20 more horsepower. in my opinion, i don't think that VTC is really worth having.

than either S13 red/black top it is:)

As long as i can kill a friends LS1 maro with SC im happy...LOL

·
i'm an asshole
1,859 Posts
Loki said:
than either S13 red/black top it is:)

As long as i can kill a friends LS1 maro with SC im happy...LOL
lol, i've got a similar goal. by the time i finish with mine i wanna be able to beat a new Z06. there' already one guy i know of and he's puttin out over 500hp with his S13 SR.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Nismo240 said:
lol, i've got a similar goal. by the time i finish with mine i wanna be able to beat a new Z06. there' already one guy i know of and he's puttin out over 500hp with his S13 SR.
I really need to beat that camaro....it was a dying friend's last wish.......he loved cars, he had a 04 Neon (2.0) and we fixed it with all bolt ons....it pulled really well and down here in mexico is not easy to find parts......and he always wanted to see a 4cil beat that camaro down here......but no 4 cil was strong enough (just the Seat Leon Cupra) but it wasnt enough power....bearly kept up with a sotck LS1 maro.

thats why its a goal i must do......

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Hope this make you guys feel better towards your 4 bangers . ive put 15,000 U.S. Dollars into my s13 redtop. i havnt finished it yet but i should be almost at the 600hp when im done. oh and thats most of it on the motor. very minimal body work. but i did upgrade my brakes and suspension. heres a pic of my turbo. its a gt30 .64

·
Nismophiliac
1,517 Posts
Nice job man. I'm currently saving for my project. I just picked up a S13 redtop block and head for 400. Next is pauter rods, wiseco pistons, and darton sleeves perferably iron. Good job on the turbo, but why didn't you want to go with a 60-1, T-66, or a GT35?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
well mainly is because more bore isnt really that much i dont dont want that huge lag. i could of gotten it but i think it might be a little to much for the 2.0 but maybe in the future. but for now i think the gt30 is good enough

1 - 20 of 20 Posts