Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok! I have a working SR daughterboard design!

after HOURS of fucking around fixing things i found a simple short circuit... my design is 100% from what i've seen so far..

it works in both sr20de computers and in sr20det GTIR computers.. also assuming it works in sr20det normal computers..

i'll post the new schimatics and pcb design when i can be bothered =)

so who would be interested in a full blown sr daughterboard for around

$40USD with eprom's and some default maps..???
like, revlimiter removed/increased/decreased, speed limiter set to 510 =P and a map for 550cc inj + z32 afm? for future upgrades?
it'd also include all the cables and connector for installation....?

if i was able to obtain 20 orders i could make them even cheaper!

will only consider if i can get around 15 orders

boards will be fully constructed, soldered and even tested =)
switchable between 4 internal roms with a dip switch onboard....

Making a board by yourself would cost about this, and it wouldn't be to the same quality.. so anyone interested please email me..

[email protected]

do email me if you're interested in one

·
Registered
413 Posts
Sounds quite promising. Have you processed any testing with this over a period od time to make sure it operatesand functions qt 100% at all times?

I would be interested after some tests are performed.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i've made a prototype and it runs... i see no reason for it to fail.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How do I know that this isn't a scam? I don't mean to offend you but I've heard of it happening on other nissan forums. Plus, this discovery that you made sounds almost too good to be true, why wouldn't JWT have thought of it by now? Is there any way that you can proove yourself? Again, I don't mean to offend you. If so, can you go a little more into depth, what do these take the place of? The entire ECU? Is this a custom made ECU? What is EPROM? Thank you.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'm actualy suprised to hear jwt dont offer this service.. i bet they do just under another name

look here
http://www.246.ne.jp/~jun1/rom_tune.htm

my board is very similar to this one..
they are all the same really just designed differently.. nissan DESIGNED their ecu's to be modified. they are smart

i'll have some final products posted next week hopefuly with pics k?

this is no scam.

·
Registered
413 Posts
ok. So from the pictures (since I can not read the language on the site), you actually have to solder in a 20 pin IDE style connector. Then solder in a resistor (?) elsewhere on the board. Once this is complete, then the daughter board will connect to the 20 pin IDE connector for the Eeproms to be plugged into.

Is that a quick and dirty low-down to how the install works?

Could you elaborate a little more for us less knowledgable. I only have a slight amount of knowledge on this and that is why my post is somewhat short and vague to what I am understanding from the site you linked to and to what your daughter board will actually acheive.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats exactly how it is done =) move a resistor, solder a 40pin header in and connect the board.. there is no other way to do it..

·
Registered
413 Posts
Err! I meant 40 pin. Ugh! Thanks for the answer!

Seems simple enough. Would probably suggest getting a donor ECU. I sure as hell wouldn't want to fry my one and only ECU doing this. :D

This item sounds very promising.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
JWT does. This is EXACTLY what you get when you send in your ECU to become an JWT ECU. You get your ECU back with a daughterboard installed and a socketed ROM.

badbiki said:
i'm actualy suprised to hear jwt dont offer this service.. i bet they do just under another name

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
About $600, more for more options and the difficulty of the project.

Again, what is the EPROM?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
they charge $600? USD or AU?!!!!

either way, i was looking @ $40USD =P so long as i can get enough orders =)

eprom, electronical programable read only memory

i dont think i'm asking enough =P

I'll have boads ready to go in 10-12 days

·
Registered
80 Posts
Well you would have a lot more responses on the www.Sr20deforum.com I tried helping you post, but in the technical forum but not the general forum where everyone will see it. The only problem is the 2 week wait so that you can post if your a newbie. I would in interested as well if you could send over a program that works.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, that is how much they charge.

However they do use TOP quality parts. The PCB is first rate and they use a ribbon cable with IDC thru-hole PCB ends, not a shrouded header/connector that the JUN site you show uses. This gives a solid electrical connection to the main board that won't wear out. IC sockets are machined pin type.

The quality of the installation is also top notch from JWT. Those pictures from the JUN site are pretty scary - Looks like they've overheated the board to get the solder out from the holes. The JWT installation is very clean and not overheated.

Lastly, how ESD conscious is the average tinkering Nissan owner? There's going to be messed up self installations - that's a given.

So given the quality of their parts, and the labor, and the guarantee, not to mention the paypack needed for the development, dyno tuning, etc their price is going to be higher.

But strictly, from a parts point of view even with quality parts, the total is <$40

Where are you getting the base ROM image to begin with?

badbiki said:

eprom, electronical programable read only memory

i dont think i'm asking enough =P

I'll have boads ready to go in 10-12 days

·
Registered
126 Posts
badbiki said:
BadBiki,

they indeed charge USD600 but not for the board.

1. Customer sends their ECU (or a replacement) and JWT does all the handy-work.

2. They have done extensive work on a dyno and their ROM maps are optimized for performance.

3. They actually know WAY MORE than we do about the contents of the ROM. They can program ECUs for any car configuration, any emmisions control configuration, and sensor configuration.

Point is (as always) we just have a very basic hardware solution for experimentation. JWT sells a professional solution that is almost bulletproof. JWT sells their know-how which has been acquired after countless hours on the dyno and lots of automotive enginners pooling their expertise. I strongly believe that the ammount they charge is WELL justified and is actually much less than any other Nissan tuner.

Chris

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i'm not selling the tunning side of thigns.. i will be here in my local town. and selling emulators

tunning isn't the most brain intensive work.. nor are making map files for certain things..

and i DOUBT they change or configure for different sensors.. like WHAT other sensors? =)

also my boards are through hole, silk screened, you name it.. they are 100% top notch..

a ribbon cable isn't always the best.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh ye.. and how can you 'tune' an ecu without the car being on the dyno itself?

as EVERY CAR IS DIFFERENT =)

just my 2c =)

you can get close.. but not perfect

·
HYDYST?
113 Posts
'm not selling the tunning side of thigns.. i will be here in my local town. and selling emulators
Sounds like what Jet does.

tunning isn't the most brain intensive work.. nor are making map files for certain things..
Making, no. Copying is easy, remapping for a gain without blowing up your car is not.

and i DOUBT they change or configure for different sensors.. like WHAT other sensors? =)
Different MAFs, injectors, compression, TBs, turbos, ecu controlled NOS, etc.
Different knock, coolant temp, oil pressure sensors. The JDM DET sensors are different than the US DE sensors.

You have the Hardware basis for adding a modified eprom to the stock ecu.
This is good. :)
I applaud your initiative and experimentation. Figuring out how things work is one reason most of us work on our cars.
But, without the Software for the eprom, I don't think there is a real market. Once you add in the dyno time to remap, the cost of a plug and play package is much cheaper.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Don't take this wrong. The tinkerer in me likes what you've done and I've been completely surprised that it has taken this long for someone, that is not a company, to offer this.

But my questions are still
- where are you getting your rom images from to begin with? (Whose roms are you copying to even burn a WORKING rom?)

and then about your statement "ribbon cables isn't always best" my comeback is connectors are the most unreliable item in electronics PERIOD and in this application (heat, vibration) a cable is the ideal thing to use. The JUN board doesn't look to be very well supported - vibration is going to either fracture solder joints or break traces where they enter the pads.

But in the end, what will make or break the installation and the long term longevity is the skill of the person doing the installation, which you cannot control.

badbiki said:
a ribbon cable isn't always the best.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
so they can alter the level before it switches to the detonation maps =) its a known little control.. coolant temp sensor maps.. even easier.. afm, injectors easy again..

i'm in the process of doing this

BUT I"M NOT OFFERING THIS SERVICE!..

i'll be compiling infomation for people to DO IT THEMSELF's!

saving Big rolling coin... maybe its 10hp out from a perfect map... but its a damn cheaper alternative!

when i have the emulator up and running, the boards will be totaly tunable! in REAL TIME. any real tunning house tunes every car differently..

compression differences alters mainly your timming

injectors and afm's are simple to change, but getting a good map scale can be hard =) takes some math skills..

look. i'm not going to argue about this..

This board will allow people to do it themself's, and DAMN CHEAP!.. the maps i'll be using are the STOCK maps from inside the ecu, altered slightly (rev/speed/boost cuts etc)

$600USD for jwt to do it..
or $40-50 USD from me, and you can tinker yourself.. without this board there is NO hope of doing it yourself.. its even cheaper to get a board from me than make your own 1 off!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts